MDT 2012 U1: How to prevent check for existing files in C:\MININT? RRS feed

• Question

• I am using a task sequence that relies on deployment media placed in C:\minint on our XP systems that upgrades them to Windows 7, while disconnected from the network. Since upgrading to MDT 2012 Update 1, my deployments display the "an existing deployment was found but was not in an expected state" message when booting into Windows 7. This stops the TS. Changing where the deployment media is stored on the XP desktops is not an option due to heavy customization and scripting. I see three possible ways to work around the issue:

1) comment out the line(s) in the scripts that check for existing content in C:\minint

2) comment out the section in ltiapply.wsf that displays the warning prompt for existing deployments

3) revert back to MDT 2012 (without update 1)

I would greatly prefer option 1, but I can't seem to find where the check for existing files in c:\minint is performed. I've been through ltiapply, ztiutility, and several other scripts without any luck. Does anyone else know where in the code this is handled?

Friday, August 2, 2013 7:52 PM

All replies

• It sounds like you've implemented a solution that is causing issues with the normal behaviour of MDT.

Talk through this media thing and I'll give you the best way of implementing it.

I suspect you're simply trying to deploy an operating system using media. The way is not to copy the minint folder to a new machine.

Describe how you want to distribute the media. eg. usb, smb etc.

Blog: http://scriptimus.wordpress.com

Saturday, August 3, 2013 10:52 AM
  • Here's the process we're using now:

1) Create deployment media in MDT console

2) zip up deployment media and stream to XP workstations via BITS to c:\minint folder

3) Extract zip file and start deployment with litetouch.vbs from c:\minint

4) MDT upgrades the XP machines to W7

I'm really only looking for the portion of code that looks for existing content in C:\minint as I'll have to rewrite a bunch of other stuff if I use another option. If you know of a better way of doing this I would be interested to hear. Thanks for your help.

• Edited by b_mil Monday, August 5, 2013 3:25 PM
    Monday, August 5, 2013 3:25 PM
  • Here's the thing. 

C:\Minint is a working folder for MDT. You should not deploy anything to that target.

Try deploying to a folder of a different name eg: C:\Media.

In fact anything except C:\minint.

If you have to rewrite stuff then it sounds like you've hard coded it to C:\Minint.

The only path you should use is .\ the execution folder.

Try a different path and let me know how you get on. I'll help you through any issues you encounter.

Blog: http://scriptimus.wordpress.com

Monday, August 5, 2013 8:20 PM