WSUS Bandwidth (BITS) & Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, I was hoping someone could help me.

We are currently in the process of introducing Windows 10 into our domain. I am hoping to get the import of the Windows 10 GPO's approved this week but in the meantime I have been working using the existing GPO's in our environment.

The problem I am having is that I have configured BITS and the WSUS server via GPO. The Windows 10 clients talk to the WSUS box fine and the approved updates are coming down without a problem, except they are coming down at full speed, no BITS throttling at all.

Is this a known issue or is it purely because I'm not using the new WIndows 10 Templates for the GPO's?

Any help / advice would be appreciated.

Monday, February 22, 2016 2:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Duncan-1978,

>The problem I am having is that I have configured BITS and the WSUS server via GPO.

Could you provide the detailed information about BITS GPO, and check if the client has applied the GPO correctly. You may run gpresult to check the result.

Beside, I have tested in my lab, there's no issue for win10.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 7:52 AM
  • Hi Duncan,

you can check if that is the case with the command gpresult /H report.html or using RSOP:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc736424(v=ws.10).aspx

Best regards,

Andrei

We could change the world, if God would give us the source code.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 6:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Duncan-1978,

>The problem I am having is that I have configured BITS and the WSUS server via GPO.

Could you provide the detailed information about BITS GPO, and check if the client has applied the GPO correctly. You may run gpresult to check the result.

Beside, I have tested in my lab, there's no issue for win10.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 7:52 AM
  • Hi Anne,

I have configured the BITS setting in the following area:

Computer Configuration-Policies-Administrative Templates-Network-Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)

I have selected "Limit the maximum network bandwidth for BITS background transfers" and enabled.

As a test I am using this configuration

Limit Background Transfer rate (Kbps) to: 3

From 6AM to 6PM

At other times limit background transfer rate (Kbps) to : 3

So in my head this should limit all BITS traffic to 3Kbps at all times. This isn't happening at all, all updates are coming down at full speed.

I've run RSOP.msc on several client machines and they are enforcing the correct GPO's and settings. 

I have also looked at the registry keys and the settings are being populated in there too, it just seems that they are being ignored by all Win10 machines.

• Edited by Duncan-1978 Wednesday, February 24, 2016 7:34 AM additional info
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 7:13 AM
  • Hi Duncan-1978,

>it just seems that they are being ignored by all Win10 machines.

Does this mean win10 not apply the GPO?

If so, what about the result if you configure locally on Win10?

Best Regards,

Anne

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 7:33 AM
  • Hi Anne,

I've tried adding the settings locally and they are also ignored. I believe local policy settings are over-ruled by Domain polices.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 2:25 PM
  • Hi Duncan,

you can check if that is the case with the command gpresult /H report.html or using RSOP:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc736424(v=ws.10).aspx

Best regards,

Andrei

We could change the world, if God would give us the source code.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 6:22 PM
  • Hi Duncan-1978,

>I've tried adding the settings locally and they are also ignored. I believe local policy settings are over-ruled by Domain polices

What about removing Win10 client in that domain GPO?

Best Regards,

Anne

Thursday, February 25, 2016 2:10 AM
  • Hi, sorry to bump this thread but i'm also having the exact same problem. Windows 10 seems to disregard the GPO we have setup similar to this.
    Thursday, February 9, 2017 4:02 PM
  • So do you FIX it? I have same problem on 1703.
    Tuesday, May 30, 2017 5:03 PM
  • I also have this issue. I have all Windows 10 Pro 1703 machines and my BITS policy is ignored for ALL Windows 10 machines. The same GPO works for Windows 7 machines just fine.

From what I have read this has something to do with "Delivery Optimization"? So in my WSUS GPO I set the following setting:

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Delivery Optimization

and then set "Download Mode" to Simple but my Win10 machines are still using 100% of the speed of the WAN link to download updates.

So how do you limit Windows Updates bandwidth with Windows 10 machines that use an WSUS server onsite?

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 7:06 PM
  • Same problem here. Any idea?
    Thursday, August 3, 2017 12:19 PM
  • Am 03.08.2017 schrieb Wedson Junior:

Same problem here. Any idea?

Windows Components\Delivery Optimization > Download Mode. Switch to Bypass. With this setting your Clients will download the Updates withhin BITS.

Winfried

WSUS Package Publisher: http://wsuspackagepublisher.codeplex.com/
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb332157.aspx
    http://www.wsuswiki.com/Home

• Proposed as answer by Yılmaz Durmaz Thursday, November 9, 2017 12:59 PM
    Thursday, August 3, 2017 4:08 PM
  • Hi, 

I have the same problem with Windows 10 1703

Delivery Optimization Download Mode is set to Bypass. 

and BITS Throttling is still ignored by the F**king BITS services... 

I have noticed that all of the BITS JOB WU is set to Foreground, it is normal ? 

The conf : 

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\BITS]
    "DisablePeerCachingClient"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\BITS\Throttling]
    "EnableBandwidthLimits"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\BITS\Throttling\NonWorkSchedule]
    "HighBandwidthLimit"=dword:0000000a
    "HighBandwidthType"=dword:00000001
    "NormalBandwidthLimit"=dword:0000000a
    "NormalBandwidthType"=dword:00000001
    "LowBandwidthLimit"=dword:0000000a
    "LowBandwidthType"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\BITS\Throttling\WorkSchedule]
    "StartDay"=dword:00000001
    "EndDay"=dword:00000006
    "StartHour"=dword:00000006
    "EndHour"=dword:00000012
    "HighBandwidthLimit"=dword:0000000a
    "HighBandwidthType"=dword:00000001
    "NormalBandwidthLimit"=dword:0000000a
    "NormalBandwidthType"=dword:00000001
    "LowBandwidthLimit"=dword:0000000a
    "LowBandwidthType"=dword:00000001

• Edited by Mxyzptlks Wednesday, August 16, 2017 8:28 AM
    Wednesday, August 16, 2017 8:28 AM
  • Windows Components\Delivery Optimization > Download Mode. Switch to Bypass. With this setting your Clients will download the Updates withhin BITS.
    Winfried

almost nowhere this has been mentioned as a cause; BITS cannot work unless it is set to work. windows is not set to use BITS when installed fresh and must be set in the path you mentioned. and a restart is needed i guess, because it didnt work right away after changes made

i am grateful to your reply now that BITS finally works to limit.

Thursday, November 9, 2017 1:11 PM
  • Hi Winfried, 

Thank you so much for this! Why this isn't mentioned in any of the setup guides anywhere i do not know!

Anyway our Windows 10 PC's are now downloading at the specified rate in the GPO.

Thanks

Tuesday, October 2, 2018 10:31 AM