Runniing to queries to get RGS info RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am looking for some advice. I have been asked to investigate whether it is a good practice to run sql queries straight to the SfB database, particularly to get RGS data to show it in custom app.

I found this blog that describes the kind of thing that wants to be achieved.

http://www.reijling.nl/?p=894

The concern that our admins have is if these queries running every 10 secs or so would have an impact on the DB or If this could create an issue that could void our support from Microsoft.

Thank you for any piece of advice.

Monday, February 6, 2017 5:08 PM

All replies

• Hi Marinho,

If you query information from SQL server directly, it will be has any impacts on SQL server(for example SQL performance, response time and so on). Could you tell us which information you will get, by my understand, we could use monitor report service to get any RGS information:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg558632.aspx

Of course, some cmdlet are helpful for us to get RGS information as the following link:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg415654(v=ocs.15).aspx  
    Notice: this link also apply to SFB server 2015.

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by jim-xu Wednesday, February 8, 2017 1:41 AM
    Tuesday, February 7, 2017 2:11 AM
  • Hi Jim,

Thank you for the links. They are useful.

On the other hand the request we have received is to get data on which agents have busy-in to an RGS. This would allow managers to see which of them would be supposed to be taking calls. The cmdlets can show the configuration but as far as I understand not the activity. Granted the RGS reports can display the historic data but what is being requested is the real time data.

Let's say for example that I have an RGS made up of a group of 30 agents. 21 out of those 30 agents are currently taking calls because they busy-in the formal RGS, you can get that from the DB, but this can change every minute, maybe during the next 10 minutes another 5 busy-in and now a manager would like to see how many and who they are. The app developer says that he would like to run these queries every 30 seconds to reflect the changes in his dashboard. So that means that he would be running 120 queries every hour potentially for each RGS, we have around 60. So 120 x 60 we would be running 7,200 queries every hour.

I have heard that the SDK would be a nice tool to look at to achieve what I have described but the developer has reported that he hasn't found any functionality around RGS in it, so he has to go straight to the DB.

If like you said, going straight to the DB shouldn't have any adverse impact, I could grant read access to those tables which I don't feel entirely comfortable from admin and security point of view. I would rather confirm if there isn't another tool from MS to tap that information.

I hope this gives more context and thank you very much for looking into it.

-mc

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 6:00 PM
  • Hi Marinho,

Please learn more details about “Response Group Agent Live” by the following link:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj945604.aspx#RGAL

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 1:48 AM
  • Hi Jim,

The Response Group Agent Live looks very cool and close to what I am looking for. I still have one more question though. I see that the RG Agent Live retrieves the RGS where you are member agent. How could you get all the RGS configured for one service in one site without adding your account as member agent to all the groups? like a manager would like to see...

Thank you very much for your help

-Marinho

Friday, February 10, 2017 5:30 PM
  • Hi Marinho,

By my experience, it could not query all the RGS configurations if they are not a member of this agent. If there are any questions, please be free to let us know. 

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu

• Edited by jim-xu Wednesday, February 15, 2017 7:45 AM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2017 7:44 AM
  • Hi Jim,

That's fine! is there a way in which I could see or access the source code of the Response Group Agent Live ?

-Marinho

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 9:09 PM
  • Hi Marinho,

In my experience, source code of the response group agent live is not accessed for users or SFB administrator. You could post your requirement to SFB development forum by the following link:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=SfB

If our suggestion are helpful to you, please mark it as answer so that someone who has similar issue could find this thread as soon as possible.

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 3:21 AM