BRE Error OlapReporter.Caption RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi All,

I am having reported an intermittant error when an Excel 2000 Workbook book is opened .

Microsoft Excel cannot find 'Olapreporter.caption' on 'Olapreporter.xla' there are two possible reasons:
    The name you specified may not be defined
    The name you specified is defined as something other than a rectangular cell reference.

Check the Name and try again.

The workbook ( I am assured) has not been changed for some months.

Does any one have any idea on

what the problem is,

what the solution is.

Many thanks

Stuart

• Edited by siddle Thursday, January 8, 2009 10:03 AM
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 7:45 AM

All replies

• Hi Stuart,

This is an interesting error message, in itself, and that it is intermittent.  In my research, I was not able to locate a prior case where this issue occurred before, but based on what I did find, BRE uses the Olapreporter.xla to perform some of its functions.  I am hesitant to make any recommendations, but it may be helpful to narrow this down to whether or not the error is received by all users on all workstations.  The intermittent nature will also make this difficult to track down, but you might try some logging on the workstation with FileMon or ProcMon to see if you can discover the culprit.  Is the workbook being opened from a network location or locally?  If it is being opened from a network location, have the user open it from a locally saved location.  Does the error still appear?

Hope this helps,

Bob

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 6:45 PM
  • Hi Bob,

Sorry for the delay in replying to you.

The Excel book is being opened via a Citrix server connection (historical reasons why this is done which pre-date me).

I don't know much about Citrix but I would assume that all users would have the same problem. However it seems that it is the minority of users that are having the problem.

It isn't possible for the users to open the book locally as they don't have BRE installed on the local copy of excel.

Thanks anyway for you help

Stuart

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 7:51 AM
  • I have done a little more research on this Stuart. According to similar messages, the sheet is referencing a value that is contained in a different workbook that is not open when the current sheet is attempting to calculate a value, which may explain the intermittent occurrence of the error.  Have you posted this on the Excel forum by chance to see if any of the engineers there may have some ideas? 

Thanks,

Bob
    Microsoft ProClarity | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 11:40 PM
  • I'll give that a go Bob.

Thanks for your help

Regards

Stuart
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 8:33 AM
  • A quick update from the user concerned after seeing this series of postings.

I notice your contact mentioned that it is trying to connect to another workbook which is not open. However what I still do not understand is that, I have not change the way I access and other people still do not have an issue when opening files from the BRE, it is just myself.

I have been able (via netmeeting) to observe the user and others performing this task. All of them do it the same way, but only one of them has this problem - most odd.

Regards

Stuart

Thursday, January 8, 2009 9:52 AM
  • Hello Stuart,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing difficulties with the ProClarity Business Reporter add-in.  If the BRE add-in is installed locally on each client, you should have those particular users uncheck the add-in within Excel's Tools / Add-ins dialogue, and recheck the add-in.  If you can be certain the workbook is "good", meaning other users open the same copy with no avail, I suggest uninstalling the BRE add-in from one of the errant client machines and then reinstalling.  Before doing so, please make sure you uncheck the BRE add-in within Excel, uninstall, reinstall, then ensure the add-in appears and is marked as active.  If the same issue still occurs, can you try copying the OlapReporter.xla file from one of the working clients and overwriting the OlapReporter.xla on the errant clients?

Please let us know if any of these options help to eliminate this error.

Thanks in advance for your efforts.

Kind Regards,
    Amanda
    Microsoft ProClarity | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, January 9, 2009 7:43 PM
  • Hello Amanda,

The user is having problems using excel with BRE installed via a citrix connection. The current thinking is that there is something odd about their citrix profile (which is currently being ivestigated.

Thanks for your help

Stuart
    Monday, January 12, 2009 9:28 AM
  • It sounds as if you're on the right track with this issue Stuart.  I have seen some strange behavior when Citrix is involved and these types of issues can generally be traced back to some issue with the user profile.

Thanks for keeping us updated,

Bob
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 3:25 AM