SCOM WebConsole - question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

question 1: 

we're planning adding new management server (HA) 

server 1 - the role is management server. operation console, and web console 

server 2 - now  we're adding new  management server name "server 2 ", I'm wondering if I need to add also the Web Console ?

question 2: what is the impact in monitoring if the  2nd management  "server 2" the web console is not available ? 

question 3: what is the best practice in 2nd management server ? what role need to add ? 

Thanks in advance 

Help.Me

Monday, August 10, 2020 4:33 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Question 1:

No need to add the Web Console.

Question 2:

There's no impact in the monitoring itself by not installing the Web Console or if it isn't available.

Question 3:

The Management Server role is enough to add, this will provide high availability for your SCOM agents.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Network Load Balancer (NLB) is the most used method for having the Web Console highly available, although it is not officially supported.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Proposed as answer by CyrAz Monday, August 10, 2020 6:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by help.me.please Saturday, August 15, 2020 6:01 PM
    Monday, August 10, 2020 6:29 AM
  • Hi,

Here are my answers for your questions:
    Q1: we're planning adding new management server (HA)
    server 2 - now  we're adding new  management server name "server 2 ", I'm wondering if I need to add also the Web Console ?
    A1: This depends on the your requirement. If we don't need to make Web Console highly available. the feature on the second server can be not installed.

Q2: What is the impact in monitoring if the  2nd management  "server 2" the web console is not available ?
    A2: It will not affect Server1 Web access.

Q3: what is the best practice in 2nd management server ? what role need to add ?
    A3: This depends on your requirement. Here is an article for the reference:
    https://subscription.packtpub.com/book/virtualization_and_cloud/9781782176244/1/ch01lvl1sec12/designing-for-high-availability
    Note: Non-Microsoft link, just for the reference.

Tips: This SCOM Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Hope it can help.

Best regards.
    Crystal

"SCOM" forum will be migrating to a new home on   Microsoft Q&A!
      We invite you to post new questions in the "SCOM" forum's new home on   Microsoft Q&A!
      For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Tuesday, August 11, 2020 2:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Question 1:

No need to add the Web Console.

Question 2:

There's no impact in the monitoring itself by not installing the Web Console or if it isn't available.

Question 3:

The Management Server role is enough to add, this will provide high availability for your SCOM agents.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Network Load Balancer (NLB) is the most used method for having the Web Console highly available, although it is not officially supported.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Proposed as answer by CyrAz Monday, August 10, 2020 6:34 AM
    Monday, August 10, 2020 6:29 AM
  • Hi,

Here are my answers for your questions:
    Q1: we're planning adding new management server (HA)
    A1: This depends on the your requirement. If we don't need to make Web Console highly available. the feature on the second server can be not installed.

Q2: What is the impact in monitoring if the  2nd management  "server 2" the web console is not available ?
    A2: It will not affect Server1 Web access.

Q3: what is the best practice in 2nd management server ? what role need to add ?
    A3: This depends on your requirement. Here is an article for the reference:
    https://subscription.packtpub.com/book/virtualization_and_cloud/9781782176244/1/ch01lvl1sec12/designing-for-high-availability
    Note: Non-Microsoft link, just for the reference.

Tips: This SCOM Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Hope it can help.

Best regards.
    Crystal

We invite you to post new questions in the "SCOM" forum's new home on   Microsoft Q&A!

Tuesday, August 11, 2020 2:45 AM
  • Hi,

How's everything going? Did the information help? Is there anything else we can help.

Best regards.

Crystal

Friday, August 14, 2020 2:58 AM