locked
List not loading for all users RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi there,

     

    We have a 2007 Enterprise server environment with a custom list. 

    For some odd reason the list will only appear to some users not all (including myself). Any ideas why?

    Friday, October 14, 2011 8:40 PM

Answers

  • Hi all,

    The final resolution for this was to import the list into Access, then create a new SharePoint list from Access.

    It worked for everyone. 

    Not sure what caused the original list to not work

    • Marked as answer by Mike Hodge Thursday, June 14, 2012 9:33 PM
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 9:33 PM

All replies

  • Permissions.  Ensure they have the proper ones.
    Steve Clark, MCTS | Twin-Soft.com
    Friday, October 14, 2011 8:58 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

     

    Yes the users have permissions to view the list.

    Some users have the permissions to contribute to the list but majority of them cannot get to the list. It eventually times out.

    Friday, October 14, 2011 9:01 PM
  • try and use fiddler or other such tool. Using it you will get to know the reason.

    Also with users who have proper permission on list but are not able to see it, try to access the list using its URL and inspect what happens using fiddler.


    Shubham Goyal
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 7:41 AM
  • Hi,

    times out? How much content you have in the list?


    Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 4:11 AM
  • Have you attached any wrokflow or event receiver to change the item level permission ??
    Monday, October 17, 2011 9:59 AM
  • From their machine, open Access and try to link to the list. This may reveal a different error message.  Or, if it displays, will confuse us further.

     


    Steve Clark, MCTS | Twin-Soft.com
    Monday, October 17, 2011 12:59 PM
  • Rahul - We have 600 items in the list but I don't think that it too much of an issue as some users can browse to it with no problems.
    • Edited by Mike Hodge Monday, October 17, 2011 2:35 PM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 1:26 PM
  • Steve - I tried it and it said either the user doesn't have permission to the list (the user has site collection administrator rights) or the file doesn't exist.
    Monday, October 17, 2011 2:34 PM
  • Shubham - I just tried your suggestion and unfortunately Fiddler didn't give me anything weird. I got a bunch of 401 & 200 returns but that was it.
    Monday, October 17, 2011 3:53 PM
  • Hi Mike,

    Fiddler gave you your issue

    401 is a error and its a authentication error. Google it to find more details.

    Here is a post on this issue

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointadmin/thread/3b7b7092-710f-40b7-a1ff-8be5b708b5ea/

     


    Shubham Goyal
    Monday, October 17, 2011 5:56 PM
  • Also if its possible to do it,

     just break the role inheritance on the list and then inherit it back again from the parent. Then check if the issue still persists


    Shubham Goyal
    Monday, October 17, 2011 5:58 PM
  • Thanks for your reply but 401 isn't necessarily an error but really a challenge from the server checking and asking for the credentials.

     

    I ran Fiddler on a computer of a user who can access the site and they get two 401 challenges in Fiddler then the 200 result - and the page still loads fine (for them). 

     

    The permission inheritance on the list is currently broken. All the domain users have access for Read permission while another 15 users have Contribute permissions.

    Monday, October 17, 2011 7:00 PM
  • Unfortunately I haven't found a solution yet to this issue. 

    We had a consulting company come in to assist with this issue and they were unable to determine what was going on either.

    To answer Thilosh's question, there is no workflow on this list but there is a possibility that there is an event receiver. 

    A 3rd party company had developed this portal many years ago and created the list as a feature. This list empties into a database and then the database to a web part to display a news item. Our portal had crashed earlier this year which caused a lot of their functionality to stop working. This could be the cause of the issue but I'm not seeing anything in the Logs or Event Viewer that would indicate it is.

    To get around this issue, I may create a new list and point my data view web part to it. But I would like to know what happened to the existing list to cause it to have issues.

    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 8:14 PM
  • You forgot: "... and now you know.... the REST of the story. I'm Paul Harvey.  Good day!" :D
    Steve Clark, MCTS | Twin-Soft.com
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:08 PM
  • Steve - as a follow-up, I have been able to import the list into Access even though I can't navigate to it myself. 

    And the plot thickens.

    Saturday, October 22, 2011 5:48 AM
  • Hi all,

    The final resolution for this was to import the list into Access, then create a new SharePoint list from Access.

    It worked for everyone. 

    Not sure what caused the original list to not work

    • Marked as answer by Mike Hodge Thursday, June 14, 2012 9:33 PM
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 9:33 PM