none
IE10 'Metro' Favourites RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

Since redirecting the favourites folder in GPO the IE10 'Metro' doesn't show the my favourites but the IE10 Desktop is fine. Any reason why this is the case?

Thanks

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:21 PM

All replies

• Do you mean Folder Redirection?

As far as I can see, IE Modern (or simply IE in MSFT terminology) uses your Microsoft account to synchronize favorites. These favorites don't synchronize with your IE Desktop however. Do you mean enabling Folder Redirection enables synchronization for Desktop IE and disables it for Modern IE?

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:26 PM
  • Do you mean Folder Redirection?

As far as I can see, IE Modern (or simply IE in MSFT terminology) uses your Microsoft account to synchronize favorites. These favorites don't synchronize with your IE Desktop however. Do you mean enabling Folder Redirection enables synchronization for Desktop IE and disables it for Modern IE?

Yes, IE Modern and IE Desktop showed all my favourites. Perhaps 'synchronisation' isn't the right word as this is a workstation in the Domain and does not use a Microsoft account. However, ever since folder redirection was enabled for Favourites in the GPO the IE Modern does not show my favourites but IE Desktop does. Its as if IE Modern doesn't know that the favourites has been redirected to a network share.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 5:30 PM
  • Looks like it's so. Pity...

//At the other hand, we now know the way to force IE to synchronize favorites in both flavors. )

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 6:46 PM
  • Looks like it's so. Pity...

What's the explanation?   E.g. in Desktop you can use  shell:Favorites  to check what path is being used.   Is the implication that some other hardcoded path is being used by MUF IE?   Does ProcMon show such a difference?  Are you making sure that  MUF IE is completely refreshed?  E.g. terminated by Alt-F4.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:29 PM
    Answerer
  • Oh, that wasn't an explanation at all. I don't think that would be easy to track down synchronization activity...

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:41 PM
  • Oh, that wasn't an explanation at all. I don't think that would be easy to track down synchronization activity...

I thought you were seeing the symptom and agreeing with the guess about the "workstation in the Domain" factor causing a difference.  My suggestion is not to try to capture it happening just to see what the differences are which might account for it.  I can't test the case, so I'm just "coaching from the sidelines" on this one.   ; )

Robert
    ---

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 6:46 AM
    Answerer

I thought you were seeing the symptom and agreeing with the guess about the "workstation in the Domain" factor causing a difference.  My suggestion is not to try to capture it happening just to see what the differences are which might account for it.  I can't test the case, so I'm just "coaching from the sidelines" on this one.   ; )

Robert
    ---

Well if I add a favourite from IE10 MUI it successfully adds it to the redirected Favourites but simply not visible. It is visible though from the Desktop IE10. I will see if I can capture this.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:39 AM
  • My guess is:

1. IE does make use of Microsoft account and thus all its settings are synchronized across the computers using same Microsoft account via Live services.

2. Desktop IE is not aware of synchronization, because it uses old code base. That is, it's simply that old IE that is you've used for years, and it only knows of local Favorites folder.

3. The Folder Redirection feature seems to hasn't been upgraded as well, and it does not know of IE for a simple reason: it does not see it, because a WinRT app is a container which data is isolated from external access.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:58 AM
  • My guess is:

1. IE does make use of Microsoft account and thus all its settings are synchronized across the computers using same Microsoft account via Live services.

2. Desktop IE is not aware of synchronization, because it uses old code base. That is, it's simply that old IE that is you've used for years, and it only knows of local Favorites folder.

3. The Folder Redirection feature seems to hasn't been upgraded as well, and it does not know of IE for a simple reason: it does not see it, because a WinRT app is a container which data is isolated from external access.

This is not about synchronising across computers so the Microsoft account doesn't come into play. Its about accessing your favourites on the same computer using IE MUI and IE Desktop while you have folder redirection in place for favourites.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 1:11 PM
  • Folder Redirection is just the same... It allows you to get your user environment and its settings across multiple computers in the Active Directory domain when using your Active Directory account. Just because your user profile settings are now located on a server share and Windows redirects the I/O from the location on your local computer (location is defined by the %USERPROFILE% environment variable) to the network location.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 1:44 PM
  • I reverted the redirection back to user profile and now I can view my favourites in IE MUI. Running process monitor I can see that its looking at the right path but the favourites are not being read.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 3:08 PM
  • Just because your user profile settings are now located on a server share and Windows redirects the I/O from the location on your local computer (location is defined by the %USERPROFILE% environment variable) to the network location.

Then maybe we should be looking at Windows Search's indexing?   E.g.  I think that it is the basis of matching in the Address bar.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 3:19 PM
    Answerer
  • @PMLIO

Could you please post the screenshot or, better, a flat text file with what's been traced with Process Monitor? Unfortunately, I can't enable folder redirection to test this as I am not the admin and don't have administrative access to our AD.

BTW, you can call Modern UI IE (MUI IE) just IE, as MSFT suggests here.

@Robert

Hmm, interesting. Then the first step would be to disable Windows Search and check if IE continues to show favorites or it stops.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:40 PM
  • Hi,

Could please check if it redirects IE favorites folder when manually modifying the following registry key?

Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Value: Favorites

Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ

Default: %USERPROFILE%\Favorites

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:25 AM
  • Hi,

Got busy with other stuff, so I took redirection off for favourites for now and everything works as expected. I tried to post the process monitor results but for some reason I couldn't paste into the thread and while messing about with my profile lost it in the process. I will try again on another machine and post the results. By the way, another weird thing was that while I could add a favourite but not see them in MUI IE10, I can see all my favourites on Desktop IE10 but not able to add a favourite from it...very strange. Anyhow, when I get some time I'm going to do a fresh setup and let you know how I get on.

Friday, January 25, 2013 8:29 AM
  • I know this is bit old but I noticed this also.  My main problem is with the redirection of the appdata folder causes flash to break in modern IE.  I have a ticket open with MS right now.  I have feeling someone will tell be why modern IE can't handle folder redirection at all.  But when you break flash in the process it's just not good.  If you run ProMon you will notice that modern IE does make a queryto the redirected network folder but then instead uses the local location.
    Thursday, April 4, 2013 2:37 PM
  • Just in case anyone was wondering they fixed this issue with favorites in February.  Hopefully, they will fix mine as well.

Here's the link to the KB: https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2793902

Thursday, April 4, 2013 5:29 PM
  • Just in case anyone was wondering they fixed this issue with favorites in February.  Hopefully, they will fix mine as well.

Here's the link to the KB: https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2793902

Great! I will have to check this, thanks!
    Friday, April 5, 2013 7:42 AM