none
Windows Explorer preview pane feature is crashing Word when trying to preview Word documents. RRS feed

• Question

• I have an issue with Windows Explorer and the Preview Pane.  When I enable the preveiw pane and try to preview a Word Document it crashes Word even when Word is not open, this is only happening to Word documents all other types of documents can display the preview.  This is happening on Windows 7 x64 systems, we have numerous systems displaying the same issue and all our systems are connected to a domain.  Anyone have a solution? 

I have tried the SFC /Scannow, booting to SafeMode, disabling Startup items and Services and it still happens everytime I try to preview a Word document.

Thanks

Joe

Thursday, August 23, 2012 1:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Does this issue happen when you open all the document or just Word? You can try the following suggestion:

1. Close any open word documents
    2. On the keyboard, press the Windows (Flag) button and 'R'
    3. Enter in winword /a
    4. Press 'OK'

However if the issue only happen when you open the Word, the better platform you can post should be Windows word support forum.

Your Name

TechNet Community Support

Sunday, August 26, 2012 2:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Does this issue happen when you open all the document or just Word? You can try the following suggestion:

1. Close any open word documents
    2. On the keyboard, press the Windows (Flag) button and 'R'
    3. Enter in winword /a
    4. Press 'OK'

However if the issue only happen when you open the Word, the better platform you can post should be Windows word support forum.

Your Name

TechNet Community Support

Sunday, August 26, 2012 2:12 PM
  • I have the same issue as joebski does.. He was pretty clear that the issue does not occur when 'opening' a document. It occurs when browsing in Windows Explorer and the preview screen tries to show a word document. Word will crash even if it's not open. 

Joebski wrote, "..When I enable the preveiw pane and try to preview a Word Document it crashes Word even when Word is not open, this is only happening to Word documents all other types of documents can display the preview.  This is happening on Windows 7 x64 systems,.. "

I could not find any similar posts in the Windows word support forum you linked. It just took me back to this posting.

Has anyone come up with a solution?

Kind regards,

KL

Thursday, August 29, 2013 4:25 PM
  • same issue here.
    Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:50 PM