Exchange 2016 Hybrid Wizard RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Im updating my lab from Hybrid 2010 to 2016.

Ive been through the Hybrid wizard and all seems ok apart from the fact it hasnt created the receive connectors on my 2016 servers. Is this normal? Do I just have to create them manually?

Sunday, July 5, 2020 4:50 PM

Answers

• Yes, it forced me to use that switch as it detected the 2010 config.
    Tuesday, July 7, 2020 5:49 PM
  • So it looks like in 2016 it modifies the default connector to accept anonymous access. This is OK as I can block port 25 from client machines to the exchange servers.
    Tuesday, July 7, 2020 7:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Im updating my lab from Hybrid 2010 to 2016.

Ive been through the Hybrid wizard and all seems ok apart from the fact it hasnt created the receive connectors on my 2016 servers. Is this normal? Do I just have to create them manually?

No. The default Front End Rec Connectors are modified for hybrid authentication. If you look at their properties, they should have a modified date of when you ran the wizard plus the modified properties for the TLSCertificateName

Sunday, July 5, 2020 7:40 PM
  • Not sure I follow you.

When I originally set this up for 2010, the hybrid wizard created a new receive connector called "Inbound from Office 365" and this was setup for TLS and the scope was just for the external EOL IP addresses.

After doing the same in 2016, no equivalent connector was created nor was the default one modified?

Sunday, July 5, 2020 8:13 PM
  • Not sure I follow you.

When I originally set this up for 2010, the hybrid wizard created a new receive connector called "Inbound from Office 365" and this was setup for TLS and the scope was just for the external EOL IP addresses.

After doing the same in 2016, no equivalent connector was created nor was the default one modified?

What HCW options did you choose?

Check the logs located on the mailbox server you ran this from located at:

%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Exchange Hybrid Configuration.

and see what was set

BTW, I always recommend people run the Wizard, but there is no requirement to do so. You can easily set this all manually as well.

Sunday, July 5, 2020 8:27 PM
  • Which log file do I need to look at as I have a few there?

I pretty much went through the defaults of the wizard and selected my new 2016 boxes when it came to the mail flow parts.

Sunday, July 5, 2020 8:48 PM
  • Hi,

When you rerun HCW on Exchange 2016, please also make sure you select the new hybrid server and deselect the old hybrid server for Receive/Send Connector configuration.

Here is a similar blog about upgrading to hybrid Exchange 2016, you can check for more information: UPGRADE HYBRID SERVER TO EXCHANGE 2016.

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 6, 2020 7:06 AM
  • Running through the wizard does not display the legacy 2010 servers at all. I only see my new 2016 boxes.

All exchange servers are in the same AD site.

Monday, July 6, 2020 7:10 AM
  • Before installing Exchange 2016, did you use /TenantOrganizationConfig switch to prepare Tenant Organization config as well?

As Andy mentioned, you can check HCW logs for more information. Here is a blog for you to analyze HCW logs, you have to check the latest .log file: ANALYZING HYBRID CONFIGURATION WIZARD LOGS.

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 7, 2020 7:01 AM
  • Yes, it forced me to use that switch as it detected the 2010 config.
    Tuesday, July 7, 2020 5:49 PM
  • So it looks like in 2016 it modifies the default connector to accept anonymous access. This is OK as I can block port 25 from client machines to the exchange servers.
    Tuesday, July 7, 2020 7:26 PM

huh? The default Front End receive connector already allows anonymous. Why did you mark your own comments as the answer when others helped you?

You should acknowledge the responses people took the time to give plus your marked answer is is not what you originally asked.

Tuesday, July 7, 2020 10:07 PM
  • I always turn anonymous access off the default connector as some orgs don’t firewall between server and client subnets and could start relating through my exchange servers without having to authenticate. No one could answer the question why did the 2010 hybrid wizard create a new connector (which rightfully had anonymous access on but limited by the 365 external addresses). As much as I appreciate the help, no one could answer the key question I asked about the difference between the hcw 2010 and 2016.
    Wednesday, July 8, 2020 4:25 AM
  • I always turn anonymous access off the default connector as some orgs don’t firewall between server and client subnets and could start relating through my exchange servers without having to authenticate. No one could answer the question why did the 2010 hybrid wizard create a new connector (which rightfully had anonymous access on but limited by the 365 external addresses). As much as I appreciate the help, no one could answer the key question I asked about the difference between the hcw 2010 and 2016.
    Well, I told you the HCW didnt create new ones, only modified them. And you never mentioned you modified the connectors. But regardless, glad you got it working. Have a good one  :)

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 11:14 AM