All calls scenarios work except for one - "Gateway side Media negotiation failed" RRS feed

• Question

• I've spent the last couple weeks getting a nice Enterprise Voice test lab going.  With the help of you guys I have managed to work out a lot of the kinks and get it working quite well.  I was testing some different call scenarios in my environment today and came across one that fails.

My setup is as follows: IP-PBX with direct SIP to Lync collocated mediation server, media bypass enabled.  I can make internal and external calls to/from Lync clients and deskphones without fail.  Dial in and dial out conferencing also works.

The following scenario fails:
    From Lync as myself I call an external number (either cell phone or PBX deskphone), call connects.  Then I add another participant to the call creating a conference call, Lync tells me there was an error with error id 10010.  This error will happen whether the 2nd participant is an external number OR Lync user.

Now on the flip-side.  If from Lync as myself I call a Lync user (PC to PC call) and then add another participant that is an external number or PBX deskphone it creates the conference call and everything is successful.

Running a trace I get the following error:

SIP/2.0 491 Invite with Replaces failed because Gateway side reinvite failed.
    FROM: <sip:user1@test.edu;gruu;opaque=app:conf:audio-video:id:B2B49BV1>;tag=b9dc8b47b6;epid=F64D21ED54
    TO: <sip:TSTLYNC01.TST.BFN@test.edu;gruu;opaque=srvr:MediationServer:LIf4EFCGyVmGUAPeTcP5OwAA;grid=570336e2495f408eb747391b62cecc14>;epid=65D9977E3F;tag=a4bbf0d9d3
    CSEQ: 143 INVITE
    CALL-ID: e359bae3-cd1b-43b7-bb4c-a0859d50f6e7
    VIA: SIP/2.0/TLS 10.200.100.111:53701;branch=z9hG4bK58D40756.E2114D03D2BF5CBA;branched=FALSE,SIP/2.0/TLS 10.200.100.111:53796;branch=z9hG4bK238218eb;ms-received-port=53796;ms-received-cid=BF500
    CONTENT-LENGTH: 0
    P-ASSERTED-IDENTITY: <sip:22213;phone-context=Dialin@test.edu;user=phone>
    SERVER: RTCC/4.0.0.0 MediationServer
    ms-diagnostics: 10010;source="TSTLYNC01.tst.bfn";reason="Gateway side Media negotiation failed";component="MediationServer";SipResponseText="Invite with Replaces failed because Gateway side reinvite failed."
    ms-diagnostics-public: 10010;reason="Gateway side Media negotiation failed";component="MediationServer";SipResponseText="Invite with Replaces failed because Gateway side reinvite failed."
    ms-endpoint-location-data: NetworkScope;ms-media-location-type=intranet

There are a few more errors of the same nature just in different outgoing/ingoing directions.  I could post a lot more of the trace but I wanted to avoid filling the entire post with logs.  I was hoping someone could shed some light on what exactly is happening when i preform the failing scenario versus the one below it that succeeds.  Any help in narrowing this down would be great.

Saturday, April 2, 2011 1:52 AM

All replies

• Does your IP-PBX supports REFER? Since you have bypass enabled, REFER support on your Trunk Configuration is enabled as well.

The easiest way to check this is if you call from PSTN to lync and then thansfer the call to another number. If it fails, REFER is not supported.

If this is the case, disable both in your trunk configuration and test again.

Drago

http://ocsdude.blogspot.co
    Saturday, April 2, 2011 4:01 AM
  • Hi Drago,

I had REFER enabled up until I deployed Exchange UM.  I noticed the Auto Attendant was failing to transfer calls and I found this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2508284 which suggest disabling REFER.  After I did it fixed that issue.

So I'm assuming REFER is not supported.  Unfortunately I'm not at the office to place the test call you described.  If in fact my IP-PBX does not support REFER would there be a way to make my call scenario work? Or any calls that would rely on REFER for that matter?

Saturday, April 2, 2011 6:43 PM
  • I am not sure if REFER support is the issue - just wanted to rule it out.

Media bypass is awesome feature, but have “catch 22”. REFER must be enabled and the gateway/IP-PBX must support it. The reason – once the call negotiation is completed and the media flows between endpoint and the gateway/IP-PBX, when we want to transfer from Lync side, this is done on the gateway side (since the Mediation is no longer in play). If the gateway does not support REFER, the transfer will fail.

Let see if this apply to your problem as well. If this is not the case, we all will benefit from the knowledgeJ. If, however, this is the reason, check if REFER support on the IP-PBX is disabled or if it’s not present, see if there is a firmware upgrade which adds the feature.

Drago

http://ocsdude.blogspot.co
    Saturday, April 2, 2011 7:27 PM
  • Ok, I will attempt the test you said above (call from PBX to Lync and then transfer the call to another PBX number).  Do this with REFER enabled or disabled?  I want to say that I've done this and it worked with REFER enabled.  I will verify on Monday, stick with me :)  Based on the result I can look into REFER support on the IP-PBX.
    Saturday, April 2, 2011 10:42 PM
  • It appears to be REFER related.  However, trying your test call - PSTN to Lync and then transfer to another number can at least be completed when I disable REFER (leaving media bypass enabled).  So it isn't REFER dependent.  When I enable both media bypass and REFER it will fail.  My original scenario of Lync to PSTN and then adding another caller will fail even with REFER disabled.

Disabling Media Bypass/REFER and everything succeeds.  Calling PSTN to lync and then adding another caller works regardless of Media Bypass/REFER, which I thought was strange.

Test results:

Media Bypass: enabled
    REFER: disabled

PSTN to Lync and then transfer to another number: pass
    Lync to PSTN and then add another caller: fail
    PSTN to Lync and then add another caller: pass

Media Bypass: enabled
    REFER: enabled

PSTN to Lync and then transfer to another number: fail
    Lync to PSTN and then add another caller: fail
    PSTN to Lync and then add another caller: pass

Media Bypass: disabled
    REFER: disabled

All scenario's pass

This tells me I need REFER support on my IP-PBX.  Until then perhaps I'll leave Media Bypass turned off and closely monitor call quality/bandwidth/performance on my FE/Mediation server.

Monday, April 4, 2011 5:39 PM