Tempdb growing out-of-control RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Why the TEMPDB in the FCS Environment will grow out-of-control?

I have 7,000 machines (desktops) in one environment with 750 MB for the Tempdb and it works fine...

on the other side I have

750 machines (Servers) in the second environment and already after two dayts tempdb is 8 Gb.... and growing fast!!!

Any idea why?

Thanks,

DOm

System Center Operations Manager 2007 / System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R2 / Forefront Client Security / Forefront Identity Manager

Monday, May 21, 2012 9:04 PM

Answers

• HI Dom, I happened to notice your question here.

tempdb is used as temporary place for jobs which run on mom 2005 databases, like DTC jobs and grooming and other things you might be running.
    If any of these jobs have been going wrong for instance it will try and try again every day and try to allocate a bigger chunk of tempdb each time. IN that case it might be needed to give it a lot bigger space manually (autogrow is nice, but when used with a percentage as increments it makes the dtc jobs time out while it is growing, so use 500 MB increments for autogrow for instance which moves faster). Would be very strange if it grows much beond the db size of the opsdb though.
    Try to restart the SQL services as well, and check for any jobs going wrong. Give it a bigger space for an initial run and see if that helps by keeping an eye on the used space in the db. AFter the issue is resolved turn it back to a normal size (for instance the size of a daily grooming job (size of opsdb / number of days retention??)).

Hope it helps.

Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My Blog about SCOM) - MVP 2012 and Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Recipient

• Marked as answer by Felyjos Thursday, May 24, 2012 5:37 PM
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 6:24 AM

All replies

• ?bump?

System Center Operations Manager 2007 / System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R2 / Forefront Client Security / Forefront Identity Manager

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:33 PM
  • ?bump?

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 4:52 PM

tempdb is used as temporary place for jobs which run on mom 2005 databases, like DTC jobs and grooming and other things you might be running.
    If any of these jobs have been going wrong for instance it will try and try again every day and try to allocate a bigger chunk of tempdb each time. IN that case it might be needed to give it a lot bigger space manually (autogrow is nice, but when used with a percentage as increments it makes the dtc jobs time out while it is growing, so use 500 MB increments for autogrow for instance which moves faster). Would be very strange if it grows much beond the db size of the opsdb though.
    Try to restart the SQL services as well, and check for any jobs going wrong. Give it a bigger space for an initial run and see if that helps by keeping an eye on the used space in the db. AFter the issue is resolved turn it back to a normal size (for instance the size of a daily grooming job (size of opsdb / number of days retention??)).

Hope it helps.

Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My Blog about SCOM) - MVP 2012 and Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Recipient

• Marked as answer by Felyjos Thursday, May 24, 2012 5:37 PM
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 6:24 AM
  • DTC = DTS by the way :-) sorry about that.

Thursday, May 24, 2012 6:26 AM
  • Hi Dom,

Thank you for the post.

Agree with Bob, please read SQL Server tempdb database section in article below.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb418916.aspx

If there are more inquiries on this issue, please feel free to let us know.

Regards

Rick Tan

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, May 24, 2012 7:12 AM

Hope it helps.

Hi Bob,

It is what I was doing restartingt the SQL Service so it will recreate the tempdb from scratch... usually it works fine for one or two days let see after this long week-end if it stays... now it is 200 Mb which is excellent vs 8 Gb earlier...

Thanks,

Dom

Thursday, May 24, 2012 5:37 PM
  • Hi Rick,

Yes I read this article but as also the FCS Guidance tables sizing article our sizes are about 10 times what is advised or recommended so something seems to be worng in our environment !!!

BTW out tempdb went up to 8 GB... now after SQL Restart it is 200 MB

Thanks,
    Dom

Thursday, May 24, 2012 5:39 PM