none
DPM Backup on a tape drive located on another server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

I just installed SCE 2010 on a hyper-v virtual machine, I would like to use DPM as my backup solution for the whole environment. I am currently using Backup-Exec that is installed on another physical machine with a tape drive on it.

I would like to retire Backup-Exec and start using DPM to backup to my tape drive; how can I map a tape drive or how I can backup to my tape drive that is located on another server.

Thank you

Monday, August 20, 2012 9:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If it is a standalone direct attached (scsi / usb / sata) tape drive, then it is not possible for a virtual machine to access it.  If it is a tape library, the tape library would need to support iSCSI connectivity so the Windows operating system running DPM can see the tape library via the iSCSI initaitor. Once Windows sees the library and tape drive(s) in device manager, then DPM should be able to use it.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, September 1, 2012 8:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If it is a standalone direct attached (scsi / usb / sata) tape drive, then it is not possible for a virtual machine to access it.  If it is a tape library, the tape library would need to support iSCSI connectivity so the Windows operating system running DPM can see the tape library via the iSCSI initaitor. Once Windows sees the library and tape drive(s) in device manager, then DPM should be able to use it.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, September 1, 2012 8:01 PM
  • Thank you Mike for your response,

After long search online , I came across a tool from Starwinds that will create an iSCSI connection for my Tape drive. I was able to attach my tape drive to DPM. now I just have to test the speed and the backup to make sure everything works properly .

thank you for your response.

David

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 6:51 PM