Cannot open local cube RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to SSAS BI and have a perplexing problem. I need to create a local cube for offline use in ProClarity 6.3.

I have created a sample cube in AS2005 using the following code:

CREATEGLOBALCUBE [Operating]

Storage 'C:\Operating.cub'

FROM [Operating]

(

MEASURE [Operating].[Sales Value],

DIMENSION [Operating].[Branch]

)

The resultant cube can be opened in my computer with no problems, but when we use others computer to opened in ProClarity, there is no cube name to select, so I can never get to see the cube data.

Is there a problem with my cube build statement? Does it need more in terms of parameters, etc.

Regards,

Monday, February 11, 2008 2:49 PM

Answers

• Can you verify that each of the workstations in question have the same version of SQL/SSAS installled?  I understand that local cube creation differs between SQL/SSAS service pack levels.  Are you able to browse the local cube with another application from the other workstations, perhaps BIDS or the MDX Sample Application?  You may receive better input from the SSAS forum if you aren't able to open the cube with another application.

Thanks,

Bob

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 6:11 PM

All replies

• It seems that this could be due to there not being any security assigned to the cube.  Does each machine where the cube will be opened have Analysis Servces installed on it?  If you put the cube on an Analysis Serices instance and assign permissions via a cube role, are these users able to access it?

Thanks,

Bob

Monday, February 11, 2008 8:28 PM
  • spacedust,

Have you tried opening the cube on the users' machines from c:\operating.cub?  We have seen this issue before, and I'm researching to see if we have documentation on how to fix the issue.  I'll post more information if I can find it.

-Joey

Monday, February 11, 2008 8:56 PM
  • Hi Bob,

Thank you for your message.

1) I don't have any security assigned to the cube.

2) I installed Microsoft SQL Server on each machine.

3) I put the cube on Analysis Service instance and the users can access it.

I tried to use the same script to generate cube using other machine and it got the ' internal Error'.

It also got error message 'Errors in the OLAP storage engine: An error occurred while the 'Fiscal Quarter' attribute of the 'Fiscal Time' dimension from the 'Operating' database was being processed.'

This script can create cube fine if I use my computer.

Thanks,

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 1:54 PM
  • Hi Joey,

I tried opening the cube on the user' machine from C:\operating.cub. It didn't work. I appreciate if you can find the solution on how to fix the issue.

Best Regards,

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 2:00 PM
  • Can you verify that each of the workstations in question have the same version of SQL/SSAS installled?  I understand that local cube creation differs between SQL/SSAS service pack levels.  Are you able to browse the local cube with another application from the other workstations, perhaps BIDS or the MDX Sample Application?  You may receive better input from the SSAS forum if you aren't able to open the cube with another application.

Thanks,

Bob

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 6:11 PM
  • spacedust,

Can you try making a simple cube file out of Adventure Works and testing that on your user's machine?  Please let us know what the outcome is and what MDX you use to create the file.

Thanks,

-Joey

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 11:16 PM