none
Earned Value Over Time Report shows a drastic drop of AC costs after time-now/status date? RRS feed

• Question

• When I run the Earned Value Over Time Report in MS Project 2010 it graphs out the “Earned Value”, ”Planned Value”  and “AC” value fine up to “Time-Now (status date)”.  But, after time-now the AC line takes a drastic drop to 0 (zero).  This is because the “Assignment Usage withEV” pivot table has values of 0 (zero) for the AC costs in the future. The Earned Value and Planned value costs are empty, meaning no values are in the fields of these future costs.  When I go to the Task usage or Usage EVM tables the Act. Cost value are empty/null in the future.  So why when I run the graph it is putting “0” zeros in the future AC values. How can I get AC line in the  “Earned Value Over Time Report” not show a drastic drop of AC costs after time now?

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 6:00 PM

All replies

• How do the values look in the Task usage view TimePhased section? Typically Actual Costs would be 0 in the future, while the ACWP would show the cumulative Actual Cost.
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:07 PM
  • All values in the Task Usage View and the Usage EVM are blank, meaning the Act. Work, Act. Cost, ACWP, BCWP and BCWS are null/blank. There are no values in these fields past the current project’s As of Date/Status Date and this is what it should be.  The only values that are populated past the As of Date/Status Date, are the Base. Cost, Base Work and Work and this is to be expected.

What is happening when the “Visual Reports : Earned Value Over Time Report” is being generated MS Project (or the code that is generating this report) is putting 0 (zero) values into the future AC and that is what is causing the AC line to take a sharp drop to 0 right after the As of Date/Status date.  When this report is generated MS Project creates an Excel pivot table and the EV graph is being generated off this pivot table.  The pivot table has the 0 AC values.  Is there a way or is there something I can do to correct this?

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 10:48 PM
  • It's a bug with EVM reporting out of MS Project IMHO.  Same issue with PV(BCWS) truncating at the status date.

Use Cumulative Actual Cost (if it exists), doctor the report in Excel, or just push the Status Date to the end of the project before running the report.

Personally, I prefer to simply export to Excel using the Export Wizard (Save As > Excel) and then manipulate the data in Excel.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Sunday, November 18, 2012 2:36 AM