none
DPM 2012 and VSS problems after NTFS fault RRS feed

• Question

• I have a DPM 2012 SP1 (+Windows 2012) server that also includes a DFSR role with deduplication enabled. It has separate RAIDs for system, files and DPM data. Due to the hardware fault, my Data volume threw various NTFS errors. I ran the chkdsk for that volume and it found some errors. So I decided to delete DFS replicas then delete affected folders and replicate them again from the healthy DFS server.

Now files are OK and I want to backup them again locally from the DPM server. I started the protection group but I got an error, so I added folders from the other DFS server and deleted the backups of corrupted folders.

Now I want to create a new backup task for my folders from the DPM server, but the tasks fail with the following error messages:

The Operation failed since DPM was unable to access the file/folder. This could be due to the file/folder being corrupt or the file system on the volume being corrupt. (ID 2036 Details: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable (0x80070570))

The Operation failed since DPM was unable to access the file/folder \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1142\usr_data\rf\01.doc on dpm01.mec.int. This could be due to the file/folder being corrupt or the file system on the volume being corrupt. (ID 2036 Details: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable (0x80070570))

DPM recommends to run chkdsk for this volume, but it seems impossible to run this util for the VSS path. At the same time real files and volume are OK.

Does anyone know how I can fix this issue? I guess that I can’t just reinstall the VSS because it used by DPM, DFSR and Deduplication.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 2:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, you still have corruption on that volume, so deleting it and starting with a new volume is probably the wisest way to go.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, June 2, 2013 3:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The path \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1142\usr_data\rf\01.doc is the snapshot of the volume being protected by DPM.  See if you can copy /  then delete the offending file \usr_data\rf\01.doc on the source volume and try again.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, June 1, 2013 12:02 AM
  • Hi Mike,

It doesn't work. If I move that file, backup process find the next one and breaks again. I cannot move every file of my 2TB data storage.

I guess that I can break DFSR, format the volume and replicate it again but I think that should be other way to fix my issue

• Edited by Alexx_B Sunday, June 2, 2013 9:12 AM
    Sunday, June 2, 2013 9:11 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, you still have corruption on that volume, so deleting it and starting with a new volume is probably the wisest way to go.

Sunday, June 2, 2013 3:25 PM