How to get alerts to work? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We have a hosted server running Windows Sharepoint Services 3.0 on a Windows Server 2008.

I am attempting to get Alerts working but not having much luck so thought I would post here in the hope that a kind person can help.

I have setup the SMTP service on the server and confirmed its running.

I have gone into IIS SMTP Properties>Acess>Relay>Stated the servers IP address.  I have also gone into Delivery Tab>Authentication and setup this as Anon Authentication.

I have gone into Sharepoint>Operations>Outgoing email settings and set this to point to the local server and placed the same email address in both boxes availalble.

I have setup a group that should get the alert when a file is uploaded etc and entered an email address but still do not get any emails.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction so that I can find out if emails are sending.

Many Thanks

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, March 22, 2011 6:33 PM Writing your environment as your title doesn't help as a problem description
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 6:27 PM

All replies

• Hi, As your are using WSS 3.0 so you will not able to configure alerts to a group. Instead in wss 3.0 you can configure alerts individually.

When you go the list or document library in action tab you can see Alert option. But we cannot enable alert option to entire group.

In Moss 2007 there is a concept called Audience to set permissions for list or document library but not for alerts.

One easy thing you can do it write an event handler or build a small out box work flow through Share Point Designer.

Hope this helps you.

SPsRocks
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 8:47 PM
  • Thanks for the reply spsrocks.

At this stage I would be happy if I could get an email sent out as i have struggled to even manage this.

I guess I am really looking for a method of showing the I have the server setup correctly and whether the steps I have outlined above sound like they should acheive the result of sending emails.

Any other help appreciated!

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 9:55 PM
  • Tuesday, March 22, 2011 10:20 PM
  • Hi TechChirag,

Thanks for that I will take a look.

I was actually just going through the logs.

I telnet to the server and created and email which is sitting in the IIS queue.

It shows the following error:

Message delivery to the host 'xx.xxx.xxx.xxx failed while delivering to the remote domain me.co.ukfor the following reason: The remote server did not respond to a connection attempt.

Any thoughts?

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 10:30 PM
  •  

Correct me if I am wrong, From the above I think you are unable to send an normal email also right? From the error message I can say there might be some issue with  smtp server. Just tell me alerts are having problem or normal outgoing emails too.

SPsRocks
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 11:28 PM
  • Yep its effecting any emails!

I have done nothing from this server in terms of sending emails to date.

From the reading i have done, I can either use my own SMTP server created by IIS or relay off another server (which i would prefer)

Just downloaded SMTPDIAG and was playing around with that but still trying to work out what its telling me.

Thanks for coming back SPsRocks i feel I may be trying to resolve this for a while yet!

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 11:32 PM
  • I think can you check your outgoing email setting in the central administration properly.

SPsRocks
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 12:02 AM
  • Just going back to basics in an attempt to get alerts working.

I have WSS 3.0 and Windows 2008 Sr2

I have created an alert setup and the user has the approriate email address but when any action is taking on a document, no alert is sent.

Nothing appears in the queue at all.

I did a test on SMTP server and telnet to the port and created an email and this appears to work.  However, this only sits int he mail queue and does not send.

I would like to know :

What should happen when I trigger an alert?  Should I see emails in the queue and if so, what could be the reason I do not?

• Merged by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, March 23, 2011 1:01 PM Question on alerts posted by same poster one day earlier.
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 12:49 PM
  • In your original configuration, if you are relaying mail through an Exchange 2007 or 2010 server, then you will need to allow the relay from the SharePoint server otherwise it would be denied. This is a change on the Exchange server itself.  You also need to wait on the timer service, emails are not immediate.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 1:03 PM
  • MrNewBie

If you already have a current live thread about your question that has not yet been completed, NEVER start a new thread with the same problem.

Duplicate - or even semi-duplicate threads like this waste everyones time (including mine).

Moderator pre-2010 forums

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 1:03 PM
  • Hi

Moderator pre-2010 forums

Its not the same issue...

Its looking at why I am not getting emails in queue and not alert configuration as previously stated.

Moderator Comment: The titles were "How to get E-mails to work" and something like "Still Trying to get e-mails working". I might have been wrong with the Merge of threads (for which apologies) but if the Titles had been completely different (i.e. a more precise problem description) I wouldn't have felt the urge. With these titles I was almost bound to assume the same question was being asked again.
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, March 23, 2011 6:07 PM Moderator Comment added.
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 1:10 PM
  • Hi StephDonahue,

Thanks for reply,

I am not using Exchange but instead using IIS with SMTP installed.

I know it can be configured like this but there are not many people doing it.

If I find the fix ill post it up for sure.

Regards

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 1:26 PM
  • Latest update on this is:

Specified users get the intitial email regarding the alert having been setup

but

They do not receive any emails telling them of changes to documents or document areas.

I have checked the time job is running and it is.

I have checked that the permissions of the user are correct (they are same as administrator)

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Thursday, March 24, 2011 9:20 PM
  • OK making slow progress here and hoping that someone can advise on the following:

I have found the following in the logs:

AlertsJob failed to initialize site collection for Subscription id: {F84E6534-2864-4E94-9D30-FAC2AA318F46}. Possibly incorrect siteurl http://xxx.xx.xxx.xxx for site collection Id: {E545EAAA-AC68-4036-88E4-D1327D4CAC57},HRESULT 0x80070002

Any ideas how to resolve?

Thursday, March 24, 2011 11:07 PM