Help!! Vista suddenly goes crazy! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

This morning my good-running Vista crashed suddenly and restarted itself automatically. After that, my Vista is now behaves like crazy and weird!

The problems are:

1) If I double click folder in Explorer, it now Open to New Window. The option is currently set to "Open in same window". I really hate it to Open the folder to New Window, how do I stop this?

2) IE7 suddenly can't open in New Window. When I right click to a link then click "Open in New Window", it just sits there, nothing happened. Same thing if we used window.open javascript. Looks like IE7 suddenly corrupted or kind of that, but I can browse and Open in new Tab without problem. Any ideas?

3) Many shortcuts suddenly can't be opened. Usually I can double click to open jpg, gif or png picture. Now double click on them won't do anything. Weird!

4) If I right click on the image, there are two "Preview" menu items. One with bold, one without. Both of them didn't work as well. (This might related to #3).

5) If I clicked on the "picture slideshow" in the SideBar, usually it will open the Photo Gallery Viewer automatically. Now it said, "No such interface supported".

Please note that all of these problems appear suddenly this morning! I didn't install or configure anything prior to it!

Please help! What should I do now to get back to my good running Vista? I certainly dont want to reinstall because I have many development applications installed.

Regards,
    James.

Saturday, March 10, 2007 9:39 AM

All replies

• Have you tried using any of these option with your keyboard?  For example: use your tab key to navigate around and then use the enter key to open.  Use the differnet key combinations (ctrl+N, et al) to see if they work.  If these work, I would uninstall and reinstall your mouse.
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 1:47 PM
  • Hi, thanks for your reply.

In fact, no - it did not work at all. I tried navigate to a link using keyboard, then press the context menu key, then select "Open in new window" command. It just sit there and nothing appear. I also tried from other ways such as from File menu etc -- all didn't work.

Any other ideas?

Regards,
    James.

Saturday, March 10, 2007 4:39 PM
  • I found more problems.

The standard commands for built-in supported extensions now no longer work as well. For example, previously if I currently selected on a zip file, the "Extract All Files" command will appear in the toolbar. Now, it just has "Open" option, and the sub options only contain "Internet Explorer". Is Vista going crazy? Opening a zip file with "Internet Explorer"? Hmm...

I think I just need to reset the shell extensions/built-in commands to the Vista default, or kind of that. I just need to do how to do the tasks without has to perform reinstallation. Thanks.

Regards,
    James.

Saturday, March 10, 2007 4:47 PM
  • Hello !!!

This is a problem of Brontok worm, i known sounds real weird, but the thing is that first time i got my Vista ultimate, i ran my testa and all on it, suddenly i clicked on a folder named my docs. and everything started going crazy, system restarted and after that my every folder fgoes in a new explorer window, I tried to trouble shoot it, but since NO AV is currently supporting Vista, i had to reformat my system, after that i found out that till now Microsoft has not given access to any AV to its kernel, thats why every AV crashed.

so i think there can be a virus,

but to verify : windows windows key on keyboard press R to open up run, and type msconfig and see at startup if any empty entries are there, and might also be possibel that system restarts, i forgot to RESTORE MY SYSTEM, but i think you can try to restore your sytem, hope it works ...

Saturday, March 10, 2007 6:30 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your hints!

I have checked the startup and services, there are no suspicious entries. So I dont think it is virus or worm.

I have also run System Health Checker that checks for Windows protected files and integrity. The result is 100% verified and no integrity violation. This ensures that the Vista system is not modified, and is not corrupted.

What else can I do?

Thanks,
    James.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 2:49 AM
  • Hello,

Any one from Microsoft aware of these serious problems?

Regards,
    James.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 3:01 AM