SharePoint Licensing Query RRS feed

  • Question

  • Here's the scenario:

    I have a client who's looking into SP2010, they currently have MOSS 2007 Ent with CAL's for 1500 employees who are all either office based or accessing MOSS from their restaurant office. They are a restaurant business so only the managers have access to the computer in the office not regular staff. The portal is not accessible outside of the offices.  

    They're looking into extending the intranet for regular staff - only accessible from their homes, not from within the business.

    Would they have to purchase CAL's for these regular employees even though they'll never access the intranet from within the business?  


    Friday, April 9, 2010 3:21 PM

All replies

  • If these folks are employees then they need CALs.  If they're not employees then they need to come in via a Connector License.  With MOSS this means an Internet Connector license (and you'll need Per Proc licensing on SQL Server and you'll need Windows External Connector licensing on all Windows servers).

    With respect to SharePoint 2010, I don't know how the licensing will change if at all.  Microsoft has not released those details in a location that I've noticed.

    Hope this helps.

    Matt Ranlett
    Friday, April 9, 2010 8:17 PM
  • I spoke on the phone with Microsoft Licensing about a similar issue for my company.

    There is NO "External Connector" for Sharepoint 2010.  MOSS 2007 may have had it, but Microsoft doesn't even have a part number for it in Sharepoint 2010.  So your options for server licensing are"

    *Sharepoint Standard 

    *Sharepoint Enterprise

    *Sharepoint for Internet

    The Client Access License you have determines whether you are allowed to use Standard or Enterprise features.  There is only one installer for Sharepoint Server, so the allowed feature set all depends on the license key you use.  For your users to be in compliance when using Enterprise features, you need a Sharepoint Standard CAL + Sharepoint Enterprise CAL for each user.

    The "Sharepoint for Internet" license applies if ALL content on the server is for public exposure.  It's much more expensive than a "normal" Sharepoint Server 2010 license because CAL's are not required (impossible to predict how many "clients" will connect to a public website).

    If the Sharepoint server contains internal content (not public) and you allow third-party users to access some of the content, you need at least a Windows Server CAL and a Sharepoint Standard CAL for each third-party user.  If they are additionally using Sharepoint Enterprise features (which is not typical) then they need a third CAL, the Sharepoint Enterprise CAL.  So cost-wise, no difference between adding new employees and adding third-party users.

    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 6:43 PM
  • OK, but here's my question. We want a SharePoint 2010 Enterprise for Internet installation. We will have about 160 internal users on a closed intranet, so that's 160 Sharepoint Server CALs. But on the same installation we want about 2,000 external users who are part of our global network to come in on an extranet. They are not employees but they will create content. And then on the same installation we want to have a content management system for our Internet-facing public website.

    So my question that no one can answer is, what licenses do we need? These sites say that CALs are not needed for external users even if they have to authenticate:



    Any ideas, or does anyone know who I could ask? I see lots of posts saying that only a Microsoft licensing expert can give an accurate response, but no one can tell me where to find a Microsoft licensing expert...


    - Thom

    Friday, July 16, 2010 3:00 PM