Deploy software, and copy files across network during off hours RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I would like to deploy some software and schedule the time of day that it copies those install files to my clients. I would want it to install them in the early am hours as well, but my biggest concern is that it is a large install package and I do not want it copying to my client machines and eating up my network bandwidth in the middle of the working day.

Would someone please explain to me how to use System Center Essentials 2007 to deploy this software to my Windows XPP clients and do the package copy during off hours?

Thanks in advance,

Skip

Thursday, June 17, 2010 2:56 PM

Answers

• Hello Skip,

SCE 2007 doesn't transfer the softwares in a paticular time. However, SCE uses BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service), which using idle network bandwidth to deliver software packages.

BITS constantly monitors network traffic for any increase or decrease in network traffic and throttles its own transfers to ensure that other foreground applications (such as a web browser) get the bandwidth they need. BITS also supports resuming transfers in case of disruptions.

So, don't worry about that your network bandwidth will be eaten up.

Thanks,

Yog Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Friday, June 25, 2010 11:11 AM
    Friday, June 18, 2010 10:23 AM

All replies

• Hello Skip,

SCE 2007 doesn't transfer the softwares in a paticular time. However, SCE uses BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service), which using idle network bandwidth to deliver software packages.

BITS constantly monitors network traffic for any increase or decrease in network traffic and throttles its own transfers to ensure that other foreground applications (such as a web browser) get the bandwidth they need. BITS also supports resuming transfers in case of disruptions.

So, don't worry about that your network bandwidth will be eaten up.

Thanks,

Yog Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Friday, June 25, 2010 11:11 AM
    Friday, June 18, 2010 10:23 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as "Answered" as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, June 25, 2010 11:11 AM