locked
Program crashes after 1703. (Changed DLL loading behavior?) RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    I'm aware that this piece of software is very fringe, but I'm hoping that someone encountered similar issues after the update to 1703.

    The Software in Question is IBM Perscomm 6.0.1 (Yes I'm aware that they are at Perscomm 12 now.) wich worked fine with 1607 but after the update, it still starts but once it is connected to our host and should display the text the app becomes unresponsive and has to be killed via Taskmanager.

    Going from what I was able to get out of Processmonitor and Dependencywalker something changed in the way DLLs are handled. In Dependencywalker I can see loops of Kernel32.dll calling api-ms-win-core-sysinfo-l1-2-1.dll and vice versa.

    Did anyone experience something similar to this after updating and found a solution?

    I would be extremely grateful.

    -PhiKro


    Wednesday, May 3, 2017 3:09 PM

Answers

  • Thanks for the advice, but i've  done that already. 

    Compatibility modes and run As failed. 

    After trying to get it to work with the help of Appfix, and failing with custom Shims as well, we decided that it was time to upgrade. 

    Especially since the first Version that worked again was a hot-fixed version released after 1703 came out.

    Thanks for the help. 



    • Marked as answer by PhiKro Friday, May 12, 2017 7:16 AM
    • Edited by PhiKro Friday, May 12, 2017 7:17 AM Gramarly screwed up
    Friday, May 12, 2017 7:15 AM

All replies

  • Hi PhiKro,

    In my opinion, reinstall IBM Perscomm 6.0.1 and try to run in it compatibility mode, also tick Run this program as an administrator.

    If still no help, I am afraid that you need to contact IBM support for help or use a later version.

    Besides, roll back to previous 1607 version is a workaround, in order to keep daily work on track.

    Regards


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Thursday, May 4, 2017 2:52 AM
  • Thanks for the advice, but i've  done that already. 

    Compatibility modes and run As failed. 

    After trying to get it to work with the help of Appfix, and failing with custom Shims as well, we decided that it was time to upgrade. 

    Especially since the first Version that worked again was a hot-fixed version released after 1703 came out.

    Thanks for the help. 



    • Marked as answer by PhiKro Friday, May 12, 2017 7:16 AM
    • Edited by PhiKro Friday, May 12, 2017 7:17 AM Gramarly screwed up
    Friday, May 12, 2017 7:15 AM