Does this migration tool allow the user to preserve the file's original created date to be preserved on SharePoint after the upload, as was originally on the local drive pre upload(preserve original properties of file from local drive to sharepoint)? RRS feed

• Question

• https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/SharePoint/How-to-preserve-original-organic-properties-of-a-file-as-after/m-p/119487

Please reference link above about preserving the original created date. Once the documents are uploaded from One Drive or the local drive to SharePoint. Currently  SharePoint shows the created date by default AS the date the file was created in SharePoint and the file looses its previous organic original properties, as in date created. As an example, in the case of an audio file, the original properties of the audio file were lost and the date the file was uploaded represents the date created. How can I preserve the original properties of the file including the date created? Following are screen captures of the original audio file and screen capture of the properties of the audio file after it was uploaded- but in this case I did not use this migration tool- but wondering if the migration tool preserves these properties. Does the tool allow preservation native properties before upload to SharePoint, properties of the file when the file was in local drive ( note created date as June 29, 2014; with the oldest date modified as November 6, 2013- in the properties on the local drive) :

NATIVE PROPERTIES OF FILE AFTER THE FILE IS UPLOADED ONTO SHAREPOINT- NOTICE THERE IS NO EVIDENCE OF THE PRIOR DATES ONCE THE FILE WAS UPLOADED INTO SHAREPOINT- NONE OF THE PROPERTIES FROM THE LOCAL DRIVE ARE PRESERVED AFTER THE UPLOAD TO SHAREPOINT CHANGES THE FILE:(Note the created into SharePoint on October 14, 2017, BELOW AS IN THE SCREEN CAPTURE BELOW):

THIS IS EXACTLY THE SAME FILE - THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THAT IT WAS UPLAODED TO SHAREPOINT AND ONCE IT WAS UPLOADED TO SHAREPOINT IT LOST ALL ITS ORIGINAL PROPERTIES........

I would like my files being uploaded to maintain their original properties. How can I do this? I want to restrict this change of properties of the file once its uploaded into SharePoint. Thank you for your interest and support.

Sunday, November 5, 2017 11:15 PM

All replies

• The goal for the Migration tool is to preserve those kind of metadata.

Date created, modified are examples that should for sure be preserved. Let us know if you run into issue with it.

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 6:56 PM