Unable to install PSP Role - Error 25020 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I'm not able to install the PSP Role on our SCCM Primary Site Server. I have
    installed WDS and not configured. The SQL2005 Server is on the same box.
    The Event Log on the Site Server shows the following error:

Product: SMS PXE Service Point -- Error 25020. Setup failed because it could
    not configure WDS.
    The error code is 80004005

The pxeMSI.log shows following:

MSI (s) (CC!F8) [10:27:12:062]: Product: SMS PXE Service Point -- Error
    25020. Setup failed because it could not configure WDS.
    The error code is 80004005

And finally the PXESetup.log returns:
    <01-03-2008 10:27:18> pxe.msi exited with return code: 1603
    <01-03-2008 10:27:18> Fatal MSI Error - pxe.msi could not be installed

Thank you very much for your help
    Best regards
    Damian

Friday, January 4, 2008 1:41 PM

Answers

• I solved the problem.

A folder/share smspxeimages$ existed - so deleted the share/folder and could install the PSP successfullty. Just installed and not configured the WDS.

Thanks and best Regards

Damian

Monday, January 14, 2008 1:13 PM

All replies

• Moving this thread to the OSD forum.

Friday, January 4, 2008 6:02 PM
  • After you install WDS, run the Windows Deployment Services tool from the admin menu. Go ahead and configure WDS but don't add any images. The key here is to make sure WDS is actually installed and running properly.

Remove the PSP role from the site, then re-add it. It will have you configure WDS just like you did for WDS, so it will just overwrite the settings.

This has worked for me in the past...

Monday, January 7, 2008 4:43 PM

• I have tryed both - just installing the WDS and let them unconfigured - or configure the WDS without adding images. Always the same error(s).

Because the WDS notify me that il would not be insatlled on a system drive, I tryed also to install the WDS on a additional drive.

Same errors!

I have the WDS configured on an other Server. Does PSP eventually check for an existing WDS and have a problem to Configure the Role in AD? Should I uninstall the other WDS first? I want to waiting for a running SCCM befor uninstalling.

Thanks for you help

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 8:55 AM
  • I solved the problem.

A folder/share smspxeimages$ existed - so deleted the share/folder and could install the PSP successfullty. Just installed and not configured the WDS.

Thanks and best Regards

Damian

Monday, January 14, 2008 1:13 PM
  •  

Glad to hear you fixed it. I've seen issues around the SMSPXEIMAGES$ share as well...mostly around security permissions.
    Monday, January 14, 2008 4:28 PM
  • Thanks for sharing the solution maite. Have been banging my head in the walls for the last 4 hours. But thanks to your post the solution was simple as deleting a folder. Thanks again!

Friday, August 1, 2008 12:02 PM
  • Thx Damian,

removing the folder did it for me.

CU Daniel
    Monday, May 25, 2009 10:09 PM
  • Thanks Damian, this worked 100%
    Something very simple

Joe

Joe Assad
    Monday, December 14, 2009 7:10 AM
  • I have a question about SCCM 2007 & Patch 2, WDS, and how they function together. Also, I need to know what steps you guys recommend so I can get them working correctly, since WDS seems broken and SCCM is working fine.

My current situation is this:

SCCM SERVER SETUP
    1. Windows 2008 server
    2. SCCM 2007 with patch 2
    3. WDS Service

Note: Windows 7 Deployment task setup using information taken from this guide, but PXE boot does not work.

DHCP and DNS provided by other servers (no need to configure WDS DHCP options)

The previous SCCM administrator had WDS installed on the same platform and upgraded to patch 2. He had problems getting SCCM to deploy images using PXE boot before the upgrades, so it appears and I inherited the problems.

Questions:

1. Is WDS a required componet for a Windows 7 Deployment using SCCM?

Note: I referenced the Solution Accelerator from Microsoft MDT 2010 and cannot find it as a requirement.

2. The Windows 7 Deployment using SCCM in the forum does not seem to mention WDS either (perhaps I missed something).

What I need help with:

I need to PXE boot to deploy my gold image, capture, and deploy. Can someone tell me what if anything I need to do so that I can deploy my initial image so that I can capture it.

I would prefer pushing it out using PXE, assuming that's the best practice.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 1:08 AM