none
Backward Planning in Project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi! I would really like to plan backwards from a Finish Date to see theoretically when different milestones in the proejct should be finished at latest. But I get all these weird dependencies that are not working the way I expect. I mainly use, of course, ALAP constraint on my tasks. The main observation is that the plan act as if Project Finish Date is the Finish Date of all tasks even if I try to define an earlier Finish Milestone that all tasks lead up to. But this I can live with, What's more wired is that a lot of tasks are not willing to slide out in time according to their dependencies - they are kind of stuck earlier in time without any obvious reason. Is there something fundamental I have forgot to define or is MS Project not able to do this?
    Wednesday, July 29, 2015 7:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Arild,

Instead of spending time to write all the methodology, I prefer giving you this excellent reference about backward scheduling by a fellow MVP Tim Runcie:

http://blog.advisicon.com/2015/06/30/how-to-reverse-engineer-a-microsoft-project-schedule/

Tell us if it helps.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 8:00 AM
  • Hallo Arild,

First, you don't even have to juggle around with Project information or ALAP constraints. If you build your schedule from the start, with tasks having ASAP constraints, you can still see the latest date of all tasks. Simply show the column Late Finish. Indeed, Project  Always, and without you doing anything special, does both the forward and the backward pass.

Still, your other two questions not being handled in Tim Ruincie's article, these could be the reasons:

- ALAP deoes not take into account intermediate milestones: these milestones should have a Finish no later than or must finish on constraint;

- Tasks not being scheduled ALAP: verify the constraint. It may be ASAP or start (finish) no later then.

Greetings,

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 11:35 AM