none
apps deployment RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

is it possible to deploy apps for a running OS with MDT without SC Configuration Manager?

Thanks.

"When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 11:35 AM

Answers

• I think if you create a task sequence with just apps, and then manually start litetouch.vbs you can select the task sequence and install the apps.
    • Marked as answer by pob579 Wednesday, August 7, 2013 3:19 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by pob579 Wednesday, August 7, 2013 3:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by pob579 Wednesday, August 7, 2013 5:36 PM
    Wednesday, August 7, 2013 1:31 PM
  • I think if you create a task sequence with just apps, and then manually start litetouch.vbs you can select the task sequence and install the apps.

Correct. If you wanted, you could create a custom task sequence that only contains an "Install Applications" step. Connect to the deployment share, run Litetouch.vbs, and then select the Install Applications task sequence. 

For one-offs and image building, the process works fine. You'd likely want SCCM or some equivalent product for anything that must be managed administratively in production.

-Nick O.

• Proposed as answer by DCtheGeekMicrosoft employee, Editor Wednesday, August 7, 2013 2:47 PM
    Wednesday, August 7, 2013 1:57 PM
  • By some equivalent product I was referring to things like Altiris Deployment Solution or CA ITCM. But these are full-featured, multi-faceted products that perform in the same manner as SCCM - which is to say, they do far more than just app deployment. 

Out of curiosity, why couldn't Trend be included in the image? I know it isn't recommended to include security software but I've included Trend Micro AV on images before using a "prep" tool provided by Trend before capturing the image. Never had any problems with deployments, like conflicting device GUIDs and so on.

-Nick O.

• Marked as answer by pob579 Wednesday, August 7, 2013 5:35 PM
    Wednesday, August 7, 2013 3:53 PM

All replies

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 1:31 PM

Correct. If you wanted, you could create a custom task sequence that only contains an "Install Applications" step. Connect to the deployment share, run Litetouch.vbs, and then select the Install Applications task sequence. 

For one-offs and image building, the process works fine. You'd likely want SCCM or some equivalent product for anything that must be managed administratively in production.

-Nick O.

• Proposed as answer by DCtheGeekMicrosoft employee, Editor Wednesday, August 7, 2013 2:47 PM
    Wednesday, August 7, 2013 1:57 PM
  • Thanks Nick.

If I understand correctly the method running Litetouch  will not have any advantage and finally will be equal to  installation from any share.

As I expected MDT is not considered for app deployment on running OS.

I am using MDT post deployment app for installation of Trend Micro AV that couldn't be included in the image

Can you recommend "some equivalent product" that you mentioned. I may need something for deployment before CM will be implemented.

I unmarked the post as an answer just to make it more "visible" to my last question.

Sure that both answers are correct.

"When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

• Edited by pob579 Wednesday, August 7, 2013 3:47 PM
    Wednesday, August 7, 2013 3:26 PM
  • By some equivalent product I was referring to things like Altiris Deployment Solution or CA ITCM. But these are full-featured, multi-faceted products that perform in the same manner as SCCM - which is to say, they do far more than just app deployment. 

Out of curiosity, why couldn't Trend be included in the image? I know it isn't recommended to include security software but I've included Trend Micro AV on images before using a "prep" tool provided by Trend before capturing the image. Never had any problems with deployments, like conflicting device GUIDs and so on.

-Nick O.

• Marked as answer by pob579 Wednesday, August 7, 2013 5:35 PM
    Wednesday, August 7, 2013 3:53 PM
  • 1.I use Altiris for the park of old Thin clients from the years it was Altiris :) and not Symantec, so it was free from HP.

Sure today it cost money(probably a lot) and it is not worth for a requirement that I have.

2. I know about TM tool imgsetup (http://esupport.trendmicro.com/solution/en-us/1035208.aspx)

The story is that I am using 2 Office Scan servers. One for internal and one for Remote Offices locations.

And there are (were) some limitations in organization. All XP images installed from WDS. And new W7 from MDT.

Your question will definitely pushes me to improve a bit for new stuff. Many changes coming anyway. 

Nick, I will appreciate if you can take a look to my post on ConfMan forum (posted just 20 min ago) and give your opinion.

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 5:35 PM