Use earlier version of SSRS to enable ActiveX print control RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks, I'm looking for a quick and dirty fix here - we've ported an application from SQL2008 to SQL2017 Standard. All is fine apart from report printing due to the deprecation of the ActiveX print control in earlier versions of SSRS report viewer, which allowed direct access to the Windows print dialogue. Native functionality in the latest version is print to PDF, which is problematic for reasons that I can explain if necessary. However I'd like to explore a quick fix which is - running the reports on an earlier version of SSRS where the ActiveX print control is still available i.e. 2012. 

1. Is this possible?

2. Where can I get the install media?

3. Are there licence implications?

Any help much appreciated.

Monday, December 16, 2019 10:57 AM

Answers

• Hi,

ActiveX is depreciated in SSRS2017 and seems to be not well supported. (reference: ActiveX Report Viewer compatibility with SSRS 2017)

For your post, I don't see its potential.Because for earlier version SQL / SSRS , you need to purchase 

corresponded independent license for it.

Regards,

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 2:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

ActiveX is depreciated in SSRS2017 and seems to be not well supported. (reference: ActiveX Report Viewer compatibility with SSRS 2017)

For your post, I don't see its potential.Because for earlier version SQL / SSRS , you need to purchase 

corresponded independent license for it.

Regards,

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 2:00 AM
  • Thanks Lukas. That was a key part of my question - so SSRS 2012 can't use the licence for SQL 2017 (including SSRS)?
    Tuesday, December 17, 2019 9:55 AM