Need to reset password for DAS, DTS, Action & Reporting accounts RRS feed

• Question

• The individual that setup and deployed MSFCS left our orginzation without handing over the credentials for the Forefront DAS, DTS, Reporting and Action accounts. I'm planning on running the Forefront Client Security Configuration Wizard, but can't until I've reset the passwords for the accounts in question. Now, to my questions.

1. What are the implication and/or risks of resetting the passwords for the Forefront DAS, DTS, Reporting and Action accounts?

2. Are there specific steps which must be taken to facilitate a seamless change of passwords for said accounts?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

-Ed

Regards, Ed
    Friday, April 22, 2011 9:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

You could change the passwords assigned to accounts that run services. When you change a service account password, you must perform the applicable procedures listed in the following article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb944783.aspx

Hope this helps.

Miles

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by AATS-Ed Wednesday, April 27, 2011 4:29 PM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

You could change the passwords assigned to accounts that run services. When you change a service account password, you must perform the applicable procedures listed in the following article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb944783.aspx

Hope this helps.

Miles

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by AATS-Ed Wednesday, April 27, 2011 4:29 PM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:38 AM
  • Miles,

Thanks for the link to the TechNet article. The article seems to be exactly what we're looking for.

One final question for you though, do you know how changing these accounts might impact the clients? I ask cuz there are over 10,000 clients in the environment in question.

Thanks!

-Ed

Regards, Ed
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:40 PM
  • Hi,

I think we only need to change them on the server side.

Thanks,

Miles

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 8:45 AM
  • Thanks Miles. I'm going to consider this as answered and will run the needed steps per the TechNet article you referenced.
    Regards, Ed
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 4:29 PM
  • One final addition to this thread:

The steps in the article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb944783.aspx were great with one very important exception. The MOM databases ownership needed to be changed from the original admin who left our company, to the new owner (I recommend the DAS account). I ran the SQL command: "sp_changedbowner 'Domain\NewOwner'" to resolve the final issue.

Regards, Ed
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 8:44 PM