Restore EFS encrypted files form disk. RRS feed

• Question

• Before I installed Windows 8 on my laptop I made a sector by sector copy of my internal disk to an external USB disk just in case I want to go back to using Windows7. (I did it with a bootable CD)
    Then I installed Windows 8 an I am quite happy with it so I don't want to go back using Windows 7.  But I forgot to backup some files form my Windows 7 installation before installing Windows 8.

No problem so I thought; I copied my entire disk to an external USB one. So I popped it in and all my files are showing but I am unable to open them because I encrypted them(I know, that was a foolish ting to do)

So to get my old files I will have to copy the USB disk back over to my laptop disk and boot into Windows 7. Of cause this will delete Windows 8 and restore Windows 7 so I will be able to get my old files. Then I will have to reinstall Windows 8 over again.

This is a lengthy procedure. Does anyone know a better way before I try this?

Sunday, November 25, 2012 6:35 PM

Answers

• success...

I did a full restore. Saved my files to memory stick and reinstalled Windows 8.

• Proposed as answer by tracycai Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, December 4, 2012 9:18 AM
    Monday, November 26, 2012 9:10 PM