none
Unable to edit unattend.xml of captured image RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We got an image captured and planning to edit the unattend.xml to change few settings. Unfortunately when I try to open I get the following error.

Non-zero return code from catalog utility, rc = 2002

Environment :

MDT 2013

Window server 2008 Enterprise

ADK 8.1

Captured OS Windows 7 X64.

Solutions tried :

Checked OS folder permisson

Tried re importing the OS and created a new TS still the same issue.

Regards

Jesu

Monday, July 14, 2014 12:05 PM

All replies

• I have not encountered this error but I would try:

• Mounting the WIM to verify the correct partition was captured and appears correct.
    • If you are using ADK 64bit, try using the 32bit. (64 will work with 64bit image, but 32bit will work with all and this would also cover re-installing ADK).
    Tuesday, July 15, 2014 2:11 AM
  • I have already installed 32 bit ADK as the OS is a 32 bit one. I have tried deploying the wim to a test machine and it works perfectly fine....Also when I try to open Imported win 7 OS from CD and edit it works fine....
    Tuesday, July 15, 2014 10:25 AM
  • This is the complete error message .....

Performing operation "generate" on Target "Catalog".
    Starting: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Deployment Toolkit\Bin\Microsoft.BDD.Catalog40.exe" "D:\DSG NS\Operating Systems\REFERENCE1\REFERENCE.wim" 1 > "C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2\Microsoft.BDD.Catalog.log" 2>&1
    No existing catalog file found.
    PROGRESS: 0: Starting.
    PROGRESS: 0: Creating mount folder: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\2\IMGMGR_REFERENCE_002DDrive_atlvhosp.j3h.
    PROGRESS: 5: Creating temp folder: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\2\IMGMGR_REFERENCE_temp_ffte0qy0.pno.
    PROGRESS: 10: Mounting Windows image: D:\DSG NS\Operating Systems\REFERENCE1\REFERENCE.wim. This might take a few minutes.
    ERROR: Unable to generate catalog on D:\DSG NS\Operating Systems\REFERENCE1\REFERENCE.wim: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Unknown error (0xc1420119)
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.WimImageInfo.PreCreateCatalog()
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.OfflineImageInfo.CreateCatalog()
       at Microsoft.BDD.Catalog.Program.DoCatalog()

Non-zero return code from catalog utility, rc = 2002

• Proposed as answer by André Petinga Wednesday, July 16, 2014 1:37 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by André Petinga Wednesday, July 16, 2014 1:38 PM
    Tuesday, July 15, 2014 10:25 AM
  • Since a few months ago i always get this error when i capture a new image.

The only resolution that i've found was:

Copy the .clg file (it will be in the sources directory) from the original DVD to the directory of your customized image after it has been imported as an OS in MDT (In this case its going to the root of the directory same place as the .wim
    So for example in my install....

c:\> copy D:\Distribution\Operating Systems\Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 x64\sources\install_Windows 7 ENTERPRISE.clg D:\Distribution\Operating Systems\W7ENTx64GEN

Rename the .clg file to the proper name to match your customized image.

C4_WIN7ENT_X64_CAPCDrive.clg in my case.

How to derive that file name:
    The first bit before the first "_" is the name of image xyz.wim (in my case -> C4.WIM)
    The Second part you can get by looking in the MDT in the "Image Name" column (in my case -> WIN7ENT_X64_CAPCDrive)

Finally Open System Image Manager from the WAIK outside of the MDT, don't use the unattend.xml button in the MDT!!!!!!
    Choose Open Answer File, browse to the Subdirectory in the control directory name named for the deployment task sequence.

D:\Distribution\Control\W7X64_CETEMARES in my case

Open the unattend.xml. In the bottom left pane remove the current catalog, then right click to choose a new catalog, It will be looking for a .wim, change the file type to .clg catalog. Then make sure you are browsed to the directory containing your customized image, select the .clg file we created earlier. Save and exit.

Now you should be able to open the unattend.xml with the button under OS info in the task sequence of the MDT.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 1:55 PM