LocationServer.xml not working/prompting RRS feed

• Question

• So, I've followed all the steps I could find on creating LocationServer.xml, removing the DeployRoot lines in the bootstrap for each share, storing the file in the proper \Extra Files\Deploy\Control folder and linking it to the x86 and x64 WinPE settings as an extra directory to add.  I've updated each share after making changes.

However, no matter what I do, it just boots into the first share I ever created without prompting for which share to choose - and sits waiting for me to select the TS.  I want to boot to the other share and select that TS.  I don't even get prompted to manually enter a path to the share (which would mean LocationServer.xml is probably typed wrong).  I'm wondering if something needs to be set to '=YES' in the CustomSettings.ini or bootstrap that may not already be - or if something also needs added there to make the wizard pop up.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Monday, May 11, 2015 8:41 PM

Answers

• Thanks.  Actually figured it out immediately after I gave up and posted this.  Forgot to update the WDS boot image...
    • Marked as answer by Jay_Cee Monday, May 11, 2015 8:57 PM
    Monday, May 11, 2015 8:57 PM

All replies

• I'm using that so maybe I can help. I know you've already done this but I'll list it anyway.

I have created \Extra Files\x64\Deploy\Control and \Extra Files\x86\Deploy\Control folders to store the LocationServer.xml. Then I update the deployment share properties. Go to the Windows PE tab and update the "Extra directory to add" for both x86 and x64.

Make sure the bootstrap.ini does not have "DeployRoot=" at all

Make sure your XML file is properly formatted

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <servers>
    	<QueryDefault></QueryDefault>
    	<server>
    		<serverid>1</serverid>
    		<friendlyname>
    		 Primary Share
    		</friendlyname>
    		<UNCPath>\\SERVER\SHARENAME</UNCPath>
    	</server>
    	<server>
    		<serverid>2</serverid>
    		<friendlyname>
    		 Other share
    		</friendlyname>
    	</server>
    	<server>
    		<serverid>3</serverid>
    		<friendlyname>
    		 Administrative Use Only
    		</friendlyname>
    	</server>
    </servers>

To save you time, you don't have to do this to and update each deployment share, only one of them because you're only going to use one boot image that has this dropdown menu.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Monday, May 11, 2015 8:54 PM
  • Thanks.  Actually figured it out immediately after I gave up and posted this.  Forgot to update the WDS boot image...
    • Marked as answer by Jay_Cee Monday, May 11, 2015 8:57 PM
    Monday, May 11, 2015 8:57 PM
  • Oh if you're using a UFD and then extracting the ISO on to it, be sure to format or delete the files off of it first, just to be sure something isn't left over from the previous boot image.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Monday, May 11, 2015 8:59 PM