Database Size Reduce Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I need to reduce Exchange server 2013 Database Size. Is there any way to reduce the database size without downtime? also without database defragment is it possible.

Please give suggestion 

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 10:12 AM

Answers

• Hello,

You can do this by doing the following:

1. Create new mailbox database.

2. Move all mailboxes from the old database to the new one. This move is online so users won't see any changes.

3. After the mailbox move has finished, delete the old database.

After that, you will have the new database without any whitespace.

My LinkedIn profile

• Proposed as answer by krselva Tuesday, December 1, 2015 12:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Allen_WangJF Monday, December 28, 2015 1:50 AM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 10:28 AM
  • Robert is correct, that's the best way to avoid downtime and arrive at your goal.  The only thing I do a bit different is once I have moved all databases I;

1. take the original DB offline and see if anything breaks, if so then I haven't moved system mailboxes or perhaps another parties MB and I can then take action

2. Once I ma comfortable that my org runs well without the DB I then delete the associated EDB and LOGS from disk. 

3. Then I mount the DB in Exchange and it will squawk that the DB files are missing and if you continue it will create new ones.  Say yes and now you have a fresh new copy of that EDB.

NOTE: the reason I do this instead of deleting the DB from Exchange is that;

A: If you already have it set to backup, you can leave protection in place vs removing it from backup

B: If you need to restore from Backup to RDB it will make it easier to deal with

C: If you need to load balance users from the new or other DB in the future your all set and the DB is also under protection

Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline Exchange Mailbox and Public Folder EDB's and Live Exchange Servers or Import/Migrate direct from Offline EDB to Any Production Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 --&gt; 2007 --&gt; 2010 --&gt; 2013 --&gt; 2016 with Lucid8's <a href="http://www.lucid8.com/product/digiscope.asp" target="_blank"> DigiScope</a> <p></p>

• Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Wednesday, December 2, 2015 4:56 AM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 7:12 PM
  • Unfortunately no your two options are

1. Move the users into a NEW DB and then kill off the underlying DB as stated in my previous post

2. Or to take the DB offline and run a defragmentation which will require you to have at least 110% of the size of the DB your are defragmenting.   You can of course use space on another machine to do the defragmentation, however that's going to slow things down greatly

is it possible for you to add more disk to your Exchange server, i.e. expand the existing array etc?

Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline Exchange Mailbox and Public Folder EDB's and Live Exchange Servers or Import/Migrate direct from Offline EDB to Any Production Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 --&gt; 2007 --&gt; 2010 --&gt; 2013 --&gt; 2016 with Lucid8's <a href="http://www.lucid8.com/product/digiscope.asp" target="_blank"> DigiScope</a> <p></p>

• Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Monday, December 21, 2015 1:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Allen_WangJF Monday, December 28, 2015 1:51 AM
    Thursday, December 3, 2015 2:52 PM

All replies

• Hello,

You can do this by doing the following:

1. Create new mailbox database.

2. Move all mailboxes from the old database to the new one. This move is online so users won't see any changes.

3. After the mailbox move has finished, delete the old database.

After that, you will have the new database without any whitespace.

My LinkedIn profile

• Proposed as answer by krselva Tuesday, December 1, 2015 12:45 PM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 10:28 AM
  • Robert is correct, that's the best way to avoid downtime and arrive at your goal.  The only thing I do a bit different is once I have moved all databases I;

1. take the original DB offline and see if anything breaks, if so then I haven't moved system mailboxes or perhaps another parties MB and I can then take action

2. Once I ma comfortable that my org runs well without the DB I then delete the associated EDB and LOGS from disk. 

3. Then I mount the DB in Exchange and it will squawk that the DB files are missing and if you continue it will create new ones.  Say yes and now you have a fresh new copy of that EDB.

NOTE: the reason I do this instead of deleting the DB from Exchange is that;

A: If you already have it set to backup, you can leave protection in place vs removing it from backup

B: If you need to restore from Backup to RDB it will make it easier to deal with

C: If you need to load balance users from the new or other DB in the future your all set and the DB is also under protection

• Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Wednesday, December 2, 2015 4:56 AM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 7:12 PM
  • Hi,

Great advice from above.

Here's an blog about it, for your reference: http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2012/01/30/3470667.aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 4:55 AM
  • thanks for your reply. is there any way to reduce database size running exchange shell command without database dismount or without facing any down time. also I have not enough space to move user to another database.

please suggest soon

Thursday, December 3, 2015 8:11 AM
  • Unfortunately no your two options are

1. Move the users into a NEW DB and then kill off the underlying DB as stated in my previous post

2. Or to take the DB offline and run a defragmentation which will require you to have at least 110% of the size of the DB your are defragmenting.   You can of course use space on another machine to do the defragmentation, however that's going to slow things down greatly

is it possible for you to add more disk to your Exchange server, i.e. expand the existing array etc?

• Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Monday, December 21, 2015 1:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Allen_WangJF Monday, December 28, 2015 1:51 AM
    Thursday, December 3, 2015 2:52 PM