How to set-up a front-end server? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Little Background - we currently have MOSS running on a 3 server farm: Front-end, Index and SQL server. This setup is Intranet only. It is not opened for public and/or anonymous access. We can only access it from the domain.

I have just added a new front-end server to the farm. This server will reside in DMZ. So when I added this server to the farm, I noticed the it listed all the app pools and IIS sites of the entire farm. Should it list everything? All I wanted this front-end server to do is publish content. So my question are:

1. Should I have selected Web-Front only option when I did the installation?

2. How do I remove all the app pools and IIS sites from this front-end server, except the sites I will need to external access? Is this possible?

3. Can I create a new web application on farm and extend it to this new front-end server, so I can allow access from outside? Is this how I would do it?

Thanks,

P

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, January 6, 2011 7:19 AM - now what ? removed from Title. Title written.
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 11:01 PM

Answers

• Whenever you add the web server role to it, it will by default configure all the sites and application pools in IIS. You dont need to remove these sites from the server if you configure your load balancer not to send any requests to this new server.

You can extend a new web application but it will still be available on all the server. The best option would be to restrict through load balancer.

Thanks,
    Dip

• Marked as answer by GuYuming Tuesday, February 8, 2011 3:58 AM
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 11:30 PM

All replies

• Whenever you add the web server role to it, it will by default configure all the sites and application pools in IIS. You dont need to remove these sites from the server if you configure your load balancer not to send any requests to this new server.

You can extend a new web application but it will still be available on all the server. The best option would be to restrict through load balancer.

Thanks,
    Dip

• Marked as answer by GuYuming Tuesday, February 8, 2011 3:58 AM
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 11:30 PM
  • Thanks,

The setup I have - is it the right way to do this? basically create an external facing site?

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 11:39 PM
  • You are right. It is recommended that if you have to expose a site to the external world, you should extend an internal web application.

Thanks,
    Dip

Thursday, January 6, 2011 5:30 AM
  • There is something weird going on the new front-end server. When I add and/or delete a web application, I do not see app pools or IIS sites on the farm - I am not seeing the changes on the new front-end server. I have restarted IIS and also the server but no luck.

any thoughts?

Thursday, January 6, 2011 11:39 PM
  • Answering to your questions.

1. Should I have selected Web-Front only option when I did the installation?

Yes you need select web-front only option when you are installing sharepoint in a web front End server.

2. Setting up external facing Site in your environment.

Steps

1. Create web application (other than port 80) and site collection. This will be your authoring environment which could be used by intranet users.

2. Configure the Load balancer in a such a way that when you hit Intranet.Mysite.com it will go to the your authoring environment.

3. Create web application (in port 80) and site collection. This will be your external site which could be used by external users.

4.Configure the publishing / content deployment  from authoring site to the external site.

5. Configure the Load balancer in a such a way that when you hit Mysite.com it will go to the your External Site.

Best Approach for authoring and publishing environment

Keeping the authoring and external site in different farm and domains.

Issue with reflection of changes in WFE.

1. Make sure all server has same patch installed.

2.Try to remove the web front end server and then add it again,

Sunday, January 9, 2011 8:25 PM
  • Hi,

I already have a web application and many site collections created for our internal sites created on port 80.

So do I extend the port 80 web application or do I need create a new web application for the external site. So let's say I want to keep external site data separate - this means I will have to create a new web application and a different site collection for external site. How do I publish this site collection on Port 80? Port 80 is already used for internal site.

P

Thursday, January 20, 2011 4:01 PM