Milestones in MS Project 2013 Professional RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Is there a way to capture milestones using columns compared to individual task?  (Ex.  I have a piece of equipment which has 3 milestones, 30% down 30% in 90 days and 40% at completion of project) I have multiple equipment line items so I am trying to find the easiest way to include the payment milestones, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Celia

Celia Gomez

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 8:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Celia,

I'd suggest you to create 3 tasks with 3 milestones in between so it can be more visible in your Gantt chart. The advantage is that it is also easier to report along the milestones. Another way (not a best practice) could be to create "in columns" as you asked date fields "milestone 1 date", "milestone 2 date"... But the cons is that it is not flexible at all.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 9:39 PM
  • Celia,

I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean. My interpretation would be something like the following. If not, can you either post a screenshot or give us a more detailed explanation of what you need.

John

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 9:47 PM
  • Hi Celia,

It sounds to me like you are tracking payment milestones, at start, 30% of completion, and 100%.  You can model with a Start-to-Start dependency with a lag based upon the duration of the predecessor, ie 0%, 30% and 100%.  The following screen shot shows how to set it up.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 7:55 PM
  • Hi Ben,

I actually did not know that the lag could be entered in percentage! That's a really good one, thanks for the tip!

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 7:58 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

We all stand on the shoulders of those who went before us, I can't remember where I learnt this, but always happy to share.  You can also use a -ve lag in terms of days or %duration of the predecessor (in MS terms they call this a lead time but that doesn't really work in English).

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 8:09 PM