none
DPM 2010 recovery points are out of date RRS feed

• Question

• I have DPM 2010 backing up a lot of my environment.  Recently a disk holding some virtual machines failed and while recovering the data i found that my Latest Recovery Point for all of those virtual machines (as well as pretty much everything DPM is protecting) is from over 3 months ago.  A new recovery point has not been created since the end of September.  When setting up the protection group we set it to create recovery points and the express full backup everyday at 6:00 with a retention of 5 days.  That to me says I should have recovery points from the day before the drive failed.  I never noticed anything because the status is a green check mark for everything in DPM so there were no warnings or errors and without clicking on each machine individually there was no way of knowing.  DPM was telling me everything was healthy and happy.  Any help as to why recovery points are not being created while nothing is failing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, 
    Jesse

Monday, January 10, 2011 4:10 PM

Answers

• Hey guys, sorry i left this open.  I resolved the issue.  Still not sure what caused it to happen, but the account trying to access the database in SQL Express didn't have sufficient rights. (Not sure how this happened because things worked like a charm for 2 months) Basically DPM sent the jobs to SQL and just never heard back, so DPM never gave me any errors, which is somewhat annoying because things didn't complete successfully, but regardless, we found out which account it was, gave it proper permissions once again, and all is well.  

Thanks, 
    Jesse

• Marked as answer by jnewbold Friday, February 11, 2011 1:12 PM
    Friday, February 11, 2011 1:12 PM

All replies

• Do you successful backups in the past few days/months? Please check that your backups in the last few days have been fine or not from Monitoring/Jobs view. If the backups succeed, the recovery points should successfuly get created. I suspect the green status you are seeing is due to DPM's auto retry mechanism in play which by default does not indicate failures until it keeps trying multiple times to correct the situation and retry backup.

Thanks VRMURHTY [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:13 AM
  • Hi Jesse,

Please check that recovery point creation under PG is scheduled properly.

To avoid this kind of event in future you can subscribe for Recovery point status report under Reporting tab. That report will give you idea about status of your recovery point.

Thanks

MKHERANI [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Regards Mohammed Khalid [MSFT] This posting is provided AS IS, with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:32 AM
  • Hey guys, sorry i left this open.  I resolved the issue.  Still not sure what caused it to happen, but the account trying to access the database in SQL Express didn't have sufficient rights. (Not sure how this happened because things worked like a charm for 2 months) Basically DPM sent the jobs to SQL and just never heard back, so DPM never gave me any errors, which is somewhat annoying because things didn't complete successfully, but regardless, we found out which account it was, gave it proper permissions once again, and all is well.  

Thanks, 
    Jesse

• Marked as answer by jnewbold Friday, February 11, 2011 1:12 PM
    Friday, February 11, 2011 1:12 PM