Disk Defrag inop possibly after a rollback from Win 10 to Win 7! RRS feed

• Question

• Disk Defrag inop possibly after a rollback from Win 10 to Win 7!

Window opens: "DD is currently using customized settings created by another program. Before you can modify the schedule, you must remove the customized settings." A link in this window with the Administrative Logo says "Remove Settings", selected it, it does nothing.

Opened the task scheduler, it says "The Task image is corrupted or has been tampered with", it says this for all tasks.

Unable to close these windows, had to reboot. Any help? Thanks

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 3:01 PM

Answers

• Hi rick2814,

Based on your description, I want to confirm that have you met the problem before you rollbacked from Windows 10?

We may try system restore to previous point before upgrading.

In addition, the SFC tools may be a good idea, please try it.

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by rick2814 Wednesday, March 30, 2016 4:03 PM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2016 11:34 AM

All replies

• I NEVER recommend rolling back.  I have seen far too many of these.  I suspect there is corruption that will require either a repair install (of win 7) or a clean install.  Please run a system file check.  If there are unfixible errors it is confirmation of corruption

Please run a system file check (SFC) & DISM  if you are on win 8 or higher

All instructions are in our Wiki article below...
    Should you have any questions please ask us.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 3:32 PM
  • Hi rick2814,

Based on your description, I want to confirm that have you met the problem before you rollbacked from Windows 10?

We may try system restore to previous point before upgrading.

In addition, the SFC tools may be a good idea, please try it.

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by rick2814 Wednesday, March 30, 2016 4:03 PM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2016 11:34 AM
  • Hi Tao, thanks for your response and willingness to help.  A few things I should have mentioned before:

First, my computer is apparently functioning the same (very good) as it did before the Win 10 update and rollback.  The defrag function was working and was performed just before the update. All my programs that I have checked appear to be working properly. Therefore I have no intentions of re-installing Win 7 as some have suggested.

Second, the only problem I have noticed is the inoperative windows defrag function with the window stating it is “currently using customized settings created by another program, and before you can modify the schedule, you must remove the customized settings”.  A link in this window offers "Remove Settings", clicking  on it does nothing.  Also a task scheduler window states,  "The Task image is corrupted or has been tampered with".

From what I have read, the defrag function’s statement,” . . . customized settings created by another program”, indicates it may be tied to the task scheduler;  and the task scheduler settings may be connected with the win 10 roll back or the 30 day time limit! The question is: How to remove the custom settings!

I understand I can use a 3<sup>rd</sup> party defrag and I don’t usually use the Task Scheduler.

BTW: I ran “sfc /scannow “ and it did not find any integrity violations. The earliest  restore point I have is 03/07/16 for a “Critical Update” and I can’t remember exactly when I did the win 10 update.

Any further thoughts? Thanks again, Rick
    Wednesday, March 23, 2016 6:21 PM
  • I noticed the error message. We may try the following steps to narrow down the issue. Please refer to the link:

MS10-092: Vulnerability in Task Scheduler could allow for elevation of privilege:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2305420

Please note: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/322756

Sunday, March 27, 2016 7:58 AM
  • The task scheduler is frozen; unable to perform recommended procedure! Unable to close the task scheduler window or the associated error window! I had to re-start the computer to clear these windows. Rick

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 4:28 PM