none
Discrete Device Assignment - Removing Default 'Microsoft Hyper-V Video' adapter.

Question

• Hello,

We have a Hyper-V Server 2016 with a Windows 10 Pro VM configured with a Direct Device Assignment (DDA) GPU passed through to the VM, which is working and numerous tests have demonstrated that the graphics card is indeed able to operate at native speeds while attached to the VM.

The problem we're having is Direct 3D doesn't work - any software that uses Direct 3D calls fails immediately. It seems to be because the VM is attached to the 'Microsoft Hyper-V Video' adapter as its primary display adapter - DXDiag shows us that both DirectDraw and AGP Texture Acceleration are 'Not Available'.

We've attempted to remove the Microsoft Hyper-V Video adapter without success - you can uninstall it, and then it just reinstalls upon next boot up. Or you can disable it, in which case it also breaks the DDA GPU.

So how do we remove the default Microsoft Hyper-V Video adapter? We need it removed completely so that the DDA GPU can be assigned and accessed as the sole graphics device.

Thanks for your help,

Trevor

Thursday, February 16, 2017 2:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Trevor,

>>So how do we remove the default Microsoft Hyper-V Video adapter?

I'm afraid not.

I searched for related documents and it seems it is not supported to remove.

I suppose it is a built-in feature and we could not modify it.

Anyway, we could wait for later official documents to see if it could be achieved.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 17, 2017 4:32 AM
  • Thank you Leo. That seems utterly illogical to me - with the Hyper-V adapter installed, it is impossible to get half of the Direct3D features to work, which basically makes DDA for GPU passthrough utterly pointless. So you can do RemoteFX which gives you working Direct3D, but at extremely low performance, or you can get full power through DDA, but Direct3D calls will fail (so your application had better be written for OpenGL). What a joke.

Somebody in Redmond slap these idiots for me.

Thursday, February 23, 2017 1:59 PM
  • Hi Trevorx,

You could post feedback to the following site. Microsoft engineering teams would monitor the feedbacks and may improve the products.

https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295047-general-feedback

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 24, 2017 1:43 AM