none
Upgrading from Project 2016 Standard to Professional / Inactive Tasks RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I need to mark some long-term tasks (stability testing, for instance) as "inactive" to prevent them from impacting the critical path for my project plan. I understand that making tasks inactive can only be accomplished using 2016 Pro. I've only had Standard for a couple of months. Does anyone know if it's possible to just upgrade, rather than buying the whole package over again? OR, even better, are there any other options for inactivating these types of tasks? I don't want to just make the duration 0 days, since I actually do still want to know when they'll be done.

Thanks,

SG

Thursday, January 31, 2019 5:23 PM

All replies

• SillyGirl1111,

Like everyone else who regularly responds on this forum, I am simply a volunteer and do not work for Microsoft so I don't know for sure if there is any upgrade path from Project 2016 standard to Project 2016 pro but I seriously doubt it. I suggest you contact Microsoft support and ask.

With regard to your main question, how exactly do the long-term tasks fit in to your schedule? You may simply be able to fix the start date with a "start no earlier than" constraint and then disconnect them from all other tasks (i.e. no predecessors/successors). Although I don't like the idea of "floating" tasks, it will effectively remove them from the critical path.

For example the simple plan below shows the stability task constrained and disconnected from the other tasks.

Hope this helps.

John

Thursday, January 31, 2019 6:26 PM
  • Thanks John,

Appreciate your feedback. I tried your suggestion but Project is still identifying the task as critical. My guess is that's because it's the longest duration of anything in the project - it's essentially driving the end date. Perhaps it's best if I just create a separate file for the time being with the stability tasks and re-link once I get it straightened out.

Cheers!

SG

Thursday, January 31, 2019 8:45 PM
  • SillyGirl1111,

Indeed the "fix" I suggested does have limitations, and you found one of them. However, if you can temporarily shorten stability task to insure it is not the driving path task then you won't need to create the separate file.

And it's quite possible someone else will jump in with another suggestion.

Hope this helps.

John

Thursday, January 31, 2019 9:23 PM
  • It is not worth the trouble or expense of upgrading to MSP Pro just to get the one "feature" of being able to make a task inactive, when there are other ways of cutting the task out of the critical path.

Make it shorter by just enough.

Make it zero duration.

Put a date constraint on it and disconnect it from it's predecessors and successors.

Break it up into shorter stages.

Do you have a screenshot?

Thursday, January 31, 2019 10:03 PM
  • SG,

Yes, a screenshot would be good.  Based on the minimal information you’ve provided, upgrading from Standard to Pro just to get inactive tasks seems unwarranted.  Besides the excellent suggestions from John and Trevor...

I’ve got the impression that the offending task is a hammock or a level-of-effort task, which by definition are excluded from any Critical Path.  Simplest thing to do in that case is to flag it for exclusion from the filter.  E.g.

1. Rename field Flag1 as “LOE (Flag1)”
    2. Set Flag1 of the offending tasks to Yes.
    3. Create a new filter “Critical-Non-LOE” with the criteria Critical = Yes AND Flag1= No.

Apply this filter to hide the offending tasks.

Good luck, tom

Thursday, January 31, 2019 11:56 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you all for the quick responses and advice! I can't really share a screenshot due to our company's confidentiality issues. However, I am happy to report that the filter suggested by tom above worked perfectly - and taught me something I didn't know about Project. Cheers!

SG

Friday, February 1, 2019 1:03 PM
  • SillyGirl1111,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback. Since Tom provided the solution that worked best for you, please consider marking his response as the answer.

John

Friday, February 1, 2019 3:17 PM