Query server not responding in SharePoint 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to search anything in SharePoint 2010 site its showing

Internal Server Exception.

So when i looked into the Central administraion page ->Manage Service Applications->Shares Services-Search Service:Search Administraion it is showing "Query server not responding (4eb29e88-2523-4f3a-9a7b-4a96d33e570e-query-0)"

Anyone please help me to solve the search error

Monday, September 20, 2010 7:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

there are a commands with Search Service Application name that is exactly "Search Service Application":

$SearchApp = Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication -identity "Search Service Application"

$SearchApp | Get-SPEnterpriseSearchQueryTopology | Get-SPEnterpriseSearchQueryComponent | Where-Object {$_.ServerName -eq 'SERVERNAME'}  | Restart-SPEnterpriseSearchQueryComponent

Bye.

Raffa!

• Proposed as answer by wuwu Friday, November 11, 2011 11:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Margriet Bruggeman Wednesday, April 18, 2012 2:25 PM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 9:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

1.       Make sure your query server and network are working fine.

2.       Please go to central administration > system settings > manage services on server > change the proper server > SharePoint server search > select one of search service applications  and check if the statuses of the crawl part and the index partition part are online.

Hope it is helpful!

Seven
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 8:38 AM
  • System settings is fine.But when I looked the Crawl Component 0 status is Recovering and Index Partition 0 is Disabled.So how can I enable those and make the status online.

The othe thing I noticed is when I looked into the Crawl Log the status is stuck on 'Stopping'

Friday, September 24, 2010 8:08 PM
  • I created a new query component and that solved my problem.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee513077.aspx

Friday, November 5, 2010 9:41 AM
  • HI All,

To resolve this issue,

1. Check the permissions for the Search Folder. Ensure WSS_Admin_WPG, IIS_WPG group has permission.

2. Execute below command on affected query server

stsadm -o osearch -action stop

stsadm -o osearch -action start -role query

Rajini Hasan
    Monday, July 18, 2011 11:43 AM
  • Hi,

there are a commands with Search Service Application name that is exactly "Search Service Application":

$SearchApp = Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication -identity "Search Service Application"

$SearchApp | Get-SPEnterpriseSearchQueryTopology | Get-SPEnterpriseSearchQueryComponent | Where-Object {$_.ServerName -eq 'SERVERNAME'}  | Restart-SPEnterpriseSearchQueryComponent

Bye.

Raffa!

• Proposed as answer by wuwu Friday, November 11, 2011 11:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Margriet Bruggeman Wednesday, April 18, 2012 2:25 PM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 9:23 AM
  • Raffa,

This was very helpful. Thanks.

Monday, January 16, 2012 5:18 PM
  • In my case, the Special Permissions were missing on IndexLocation folder.

The Index Location (by default) is "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\14.0\Data\Office Server\Applications"

• Right click the Applications folder
    • Click Properties
    • Click Sharing
    • Make sure the folder is shared
    • Click Advanced Sharing button
    • Click Permissions button
    • Add WSS_WPG user
    • Give Change and Read permission.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Nanddeep Nachan

Monday, February 25, 2013 12:55 PM
  • Thanks, It works for me :-)

First I given permission to Everyone to check if that is the really problem and then permissions trimmed up to WSS_WPG FULL control.

Thursday, May 9, 2013 12:33 PM
  • Try to restart the services "search query and site settings service" from Central Admin, it worked for me
    • Edited by albandrod Wednesday, April 9, 2014 11:23 AM Edit
    Wednesday, April 9, 2014 11:22 AM
  • Hi,

Do indexreset happens if do restart query component using this script.What is the best way to know whether index reset or not after script run?

Thanks,

Vallabha

Friday, August 1, 2014 3:20 PM
  • Hi,

Does index reset happens if restart "search query and site settings service" on query component server on which getting error.

Thanks,

Vallabha

Friday, August 1, 2014 3:29 PM
  • Hi Raffa,

I'm facing similar issue, one of the Query server not responding and all the crawl jobs are throwing errors

"The SharePoint item being crawled returned an error when requesting data from the web service. ( Error from SharePoint site )"

"The object was not found. ( Error from SharePoint site: HttpStatusCode NotFound The request failed with HTTP status 404: Not Found. )"

Please let me know your resolution will work for these errors.

Pavan

Thursday, April 16, 2015 10:28 AM
  • Hi Raffa,

Thank you for the post, Its working now.

Regards,

Pavan

Friday, April 17, 2015 9:19 AM