Test environment refresh sending out workflow notifications to users RRS feed

• Question

• Hello !

We have 2 farms - one production and the other is test environment farm (both moss 2007). We noticed that whenever we try to take a backup of production databases and refresh the test farm databases with the prod copies there are workflow notifications that are sent out to users from the test farm. These notifications are alerts that are sent out to users saying a task is overdue when it is actually completed in the prod.  Users are being flooded with hundreds of emails. All workflows are out of the box. Any ideas on why this is happening and how it can be prevented ?

Thursday, January 27, 2011 3:38 AM

All replies

• We either set the SMTP Server value to empty so out test servers dont sent out the mail. When we do need to test email we add the SMTP address and we set the from address to SHAREPOINT_TEST_IGNORE@. so the users know. Some of them set up rule to delete them directly.

HTH
    Nagesh S

Days and years do not mean anything to me. Moments shared are frozen
    in their time frame. Distance or time never fades them for me. I cherish them
    like my life. I have never let them sleep alone. Sachi
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 4:26 PM
  •  

Thanks for your tip Nagesh ! Is this the only solution for this or are there any alternate workarounds ? We did notice that only notifications on out-of-the-box workflows are being trigerred and not custom ones. How can we do a clean backup and restore of our production environments on to our dev , test and QA farms without having to worry about the unwanted notifications being sent out to users from non-prod environments ?

Thursday, January 27, 2011 7:57 PM