I'm operating on win7RC and im having problems connecting to the internet with most of my applications. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm operating on win7RC and im having problems connecting to the internet with most of my applications.  after updating all my other internet browsers, and also itunes, and other applications that require downloading data from the internet, i could no longer connect to the internet. it began to happen to each appllication after updating them. only ie8 works, and also windows update. pretty much everything else cannot connect. some errors that pop up mention a proxy setting or something, but i dont deal with anything like that.
    Monday, September 21, 2009 7:56 AM

All replies

• Try to upgrade to Windows 7 RTM or roll back installed patches
    MCSE: M+S, SMS/SCCM, CCNA
    Monday, September 21, 2009 9:15 AM
  • How do i upgrade to Windows 7 RTM?  i've tried performing a system restore but it doesnt have a restore point that is far enough i guess.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 6:57 AM
  • To upgrade to Win7 RTM, you should have DVD disk with RTM version of Win7, plug it into DVD drive, click install in Autorun window and choose upgrade. And of cource you must buy your copy of Win7 after it starts to sell ot October, 22

MCSE: M+S, SMS/SCCM, CCNA
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:32 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to know what exact error message is received. Is any proxy used and does Windows Live Messenger work?

I suggest rest proxy as below:

Reset proxy

============

1. Click the Start Button, type "inetcpl.cpl" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

2. Click on the Connections tab. Click the LAN Settings button.

3. Clear the entries in "Use automatic configuration script" and uncheck "Automatically detect settings."

4. Click on the Advanced button.

5. Please delete any entry in the Exceptions section,

6. Click OK, and return to the previous window. Uncheck "Use Proxy Server for your LAN", and click OK to accept the changes.

Next, clear your proxy cache.

Reset Proxy Cache

==============

1. Click the Start Button, click "All programs", and click "Accessories".

2. Right-click "Command Prompt", and click "Run as administrator". If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Type "netsh winhttp reset proxy" (without quotes) at the command prompt, and press Enter.

If it does not work, try disabling the third party firewall and anti-virus programs.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:36 AM
  • no i am not using any proxy server or anything like that.  i receive various error messages from the browsers such as:

the webpage is not available : Google Chrome

unable to connect : Firefox

Safari can't connect to the server: Safari

could not connect to remote server: Opera

but when im trying to play this game that accesses the internet, it says:

can not connect to the server

im receiving all these error messages despite the fact that i can successfully connect to the internet and browse using internet explorer.  im using the very laptop that is experiencing this problem.  but i'd like for this problem to be fixed asap, especially considering that it now prevents me from using my favorite applications and programs, including itunes.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 11:30 PM
  • Hi,

Did you perform my suggestions above? Was the third party firewall and anti-virus program disabled?

According to your description, this issue can be caused by installed programs. These third party browsers can conflict with each other. You can perform the following steps to troubleshoot this issue:

1. Test it in Clean Boot mode. 

2. Temporarily remove the third party browsers to check the results.

3. Safe Mode with networking. Keep pressing F8 upon restarting to display the boot menu and choose Safe Mode with networking

If it does not work, you can capture a HijackThis log and upload to your Sky Drive. I will check it

1. Download HiJackThis, from the following link:

http://www.spychecker.com/program/HiJackThis.html

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2. Right click on the downloaded file and click "Run as administrator" to run HiJackThis.

3. In the HiJackThis Window, click "Do a system scan only".

4. Click "Save Log" and save this log to desktop.

5. Find the saved log.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 2:19 AM
  • i just executed a clean boot on my computer, yet i still experienced the same problem.  i also tried booting it in safe mode with networking, yet again, i still experienced the same problem. 

is it really necessary for my to disable the anti-virus program even after executing a clean boot?  because it didnt even start up. 

i will download hijackthis right now and run it. 
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 6:02 AM
  • i have just uploaded my hijackthis log onto my skydrive in the public folder.
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 6:06 AM
  • Hi,

Some anti-virus program will still work in background in Clean Boot mode, so please temporarily disable it.

As for the Hijackthis log, please let me know the link of your Skydrive -> Public folder.
    Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 6:49 AM
  • heres the web address of my skydrive -> public folder
    http://cid-25ab67ec8b58fe6f.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/hijackthis.log

ok i will disable my antivirus and see what happens..
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 6:57 AM
  • i just checked and it is already disabled.
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 6:57 AM
  • Hi,

Are you in a domain environment?

I suggest changing the network environment to check the results. If it is wireless connection, you can try a cable connection.

As for the Hijackthis, please fix the following items:

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)

O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

It seems that many service are corrupted, you can try a repairing installation:

In-Place upgrade (Repair install)

===========

1. Start the computer by using the current Operating System.

2. Insert the Windows 7 DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.

If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click the Start Button, type Drive:\setup.exe in the start search box and then click OK.

Note: Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows 7.

What's the result?

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 8:50 AM
  • i am currently using a wireless connection but i want to keep it at that because its my laptop and i want to be able to move around.  also, i dont have any long ethernet cables.

how can i repair those services without performing a repairing installation?  because i dont have the windows 7 operating system on a dvd.  
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 10:20 PM
  • i cant access the download for Win7 RTM.  i understand i would have to buy win7 come the expiration date, but i'd like to know how to get Win7 RTM if its a better version.
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 11:37 PM
  • Hi,

If the Windows 7 DVD is not available, you can use the installation file you downloaded. Double click setup.exe to start the setup and choose Upgrade in "Which type of installation do you want?" screen.

A 90-day trial version of Windows 7 Enterprise is available now. The download link is:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495.aspx#

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Friday, September 25, 2009 2:48 AM
  • i'd love to install win7 enterprise if its a better version, but when it expires, i dont want to go through the hassle of downgrading again.  unless if it easy.  does it keep everything you have loaded on the computer when going through the up/downgrade?  or does it sweep everything? is it a hard process, kind of like having to do a clean install of win7rc when upgrading from win7beta?

Friday, September 25, 2009 4:59 AM
  • by doing the upgrade installation process, do you mean i would have to revert back to vista and then reinstall win7?
    Friday, September 25, 2009 5:00 AM
  • Hi,

The In-Place upgrade is actually a repairing installation. It will repair system files in Windows 7. You do not need to revert to Windows Vista.

As for the Windows 7 Enterprise, it is 90-day trial version. It is for test purpose only. If not activated within 10 days, the system will shut down once every hour until activated. After the 90-day Trial expires, you will be required to purchase and perform a clean installation of Windows 7, including drivers and applications.

Currently, if you are MSDN Subscriber (Developer), you can download the RTM version of Windows 7. Otherwise, you need to wait for the formal release of Windows 7. You can also reinstall Windows 7 RC as you mentioned.

The detailed information can be found in the above link I provided.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Friday, September 25, 2009 8:35 AM
  • oh ok so all i need to do is download the win7 setup file again?  and then just run the upgrade installation straight through the computer despite the fact that it is already running win7?
    Friday, September 25, 2009 1:55 PM
  • Yes, running the setup over the current system will repair the currupted system services.
    Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Monday, September 28, 2009 2:32 AM
  • the thing is, i no longer have the setup file at hand, and i can no longer download it.  is it possible for you to provide that for me in some way?  another thing is that i tried downloading the trial for enterprise, but the download engine kept experiencing an error, and never got the download to even hit 1%
    Monday, September 28, 2009 3:52 AM
  • I am sorry that I cannot offer Windows 7 setup file. For downloading Enterprise edition, try downloading it in Clean Boot mode. In addition, if its an wireless connection, try a wired one. If any router is used, please bypass it. Also disable the Anti-virus program.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 9:36 AM
  • but i dont want to use a wired connection.  i want to use wireless because one of the main purposes of buying a laptop is for portability.  i'll try downloading it in clean boot mode.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 10:42 PM
  • Hi,

Wired connection is just for test purpose, if it is convenient, you can try it. In addition, what's the result of Clean Boot?
    Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Monday, October 5, 2009 7:03 AM
  • Hi,

If you are not able to connect to Internet from Windows 7 RC,

Please check the following are done properly

1. Is your Ethernet (Wireless) driver installed properly?
    2. Renew IP address.
    3. Check all the Internet services are running properly?
    4. Re-install the corrupted services using the Win7 RC installation CD/file.
    5. If it is a wireless network, and if it is not in DHCP, check for gateway and other settings.
    6. Disable anti virus firewall.
    7. Some time the wireless network will not work, if it is not configured properly.
    8. Testing purpose, use static IP address to connect to wireless network.
    9. If nothing is working after checking the above checklist, simply re-install Windows 7.

Windows 7 is very nice operating system. Try to keep a copy of windows in a separate DVD to avoid this kind of problems.

-AJ
    http://www.aloysiusjegan.in
    Monday, October 5, 2009 8:02 AM
  • clean boot did nothing but disable the antivirus for me.  other than that, still experiencing the same problem.

Friday, October 9, 2009 1:37 AM
  • i agree with you that win7 is a very nice os, its just that im not really enjoying the fact that it has lost its compatibility with some programs that need access to the internet.  ive done everything that you suggested.  my drivers are already up to date.  the only thing is that i dont have a installation DVD.  id love to reinstall the RC, and im willing to put up with the RC until its expiration, but i also want to have complete utilization from this os.
    Friday, October 9, 2009 1:39 AM
  • You could try a wired connection direct to your router because it will be more reliable
    Monday, July 5, 2010 5:56 PM