Temporary User Account - Conformation of what to do RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning all,

I've got a problem with my user account on a Win7 PC at work.

I believe my original profile has a corruption which presented as a problem with user accounts on Microsoft office 13 - I wasn't able to log in as my O365 user account and this turned into a problem with any Microsoft Office program erroring and closing if I ever pressed the FILE button.

Eventually after lots of messing around, I decided to cut my losses and delete my user account and start a new one.

However, I don't think I deleted it properly. I couldn't ever see my user account through control panel->users so I found my profile through C:\users and deleted that instead and then created a new profile through control panel->users but since I logged in again (using a domain login) I'm getting the temp user account message.

Here's some screen shots of what I've found when looking at other posts - essentially what I'm after is conformation that I should be deleting the .bak account from the reg edit. I'm in a position where I could start again but if there's any way I could continue to use my user account (perhaps by copying I don't know) that would be preferable.

Anyway, here's some screen shots that may help

Sunday, August 3, 2014 11:02 PM

All replies

• Mostly Service manager over here. you probably want the Windows 7 forums, over there

That being said, you probably need to go in and clear out the profilelist entry for your SID in the registry. take a look at MS KB 947215, which covers various profile issues. Method #3 discusses the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList and how to locate and remove the entry that ties your SID to your profile folder. This used to be automatic when no profile folder was found during logon, but they changed that sometime around vista such that the key persists. 

Monday, August 4, 2014 1:27 PM