none
location of progress point RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

Is it possible for me to place the progress point at the end of each progress line.

From the attached photo, all the location of progress point can not be placed after the progress line.

Thks for replying.

Thursday, June 29, 2017 1:12 AM

Answers

• Phoenix,

Thank you for sending the file.

Date1 shows the status date.  

Flag1's formula which is [Status Date]<[Stop] helps me to find the tasks
    with progress ahead of status date quickly. 

F9 does not work. First, I have entered a larger value (for example, type 15% over 10%), then typed in the original value again. This action will force MS Project to redraw the existing progress lines. There is no need to do this for the new entries. 

Ismet Kocaman | eBook on Formulas

• Proposed as answer by John - Project Wednesday, July 5, 2017 1:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by Phoenix Chow Tuesday, July 11, 2017 1:26 AM
    Wednesday, July 5, 2017 7:49 AM

All replies

• Phoenix Chow,

Progress lines indicate progress as of the status date or current date if a status date has not been set. In that regard they are perhaps a misnomer because they only show progress that is late but not progress that is ahead. That's why many users consider progress lines not very useful.

So to answer your question, sorry, no.

John

Thursday, June 29, 2017 2:22 AM
  • I agree with John. I don't understand its logic but there is an option for this:

Try this: select the following checkbox, which is unchecked by default, in Project Options dialog box and re-enter all related percentage values.

Project Options | Advanced | [x] Edits to total task % complete will be spread to the status date

MS Project will redraw the points as soon as you re-enter the same progress information. 

Thursday, June 29, 2017 7:34 AM
  • Agree with John, Progress lines are very poor practice and recommend they are never used. Instead:

1. Save a baseline
    2. When tracking set the start date of each task to when it actually started
    3. Edit Duration or finish date to set actual or most likely finish date
    4. Task, mark on Track button to update progress.
    5. View the Tracking Gantt chart to see progress against baseline dates.

This is much better and shows a lot more useful information.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book and VBA developer.
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Thursday, June 29, 2017 7:34 AM
  • Thks for your reply.  But there is no any change at all after adopting your method. 
    Friday, June 30, 2017 2:06 AM
  • I am not sure if you are referring to John's, Rod's or Ismet's reply.

However, I will join in and suggest as others do that progress lines are just a left over artifact of earlier versions of MSP, and they are fairly useless and meaningless.

I think you have other problems. I count 6 tasks in your picture that appear to have actual progress in the future relative to that vertical red line (might be a status date or the current date), and one task that shows scheduled duration in the past. If I were you (and of course I am not), I would drop the progress line question and fix up those tasks, pretty much as Rod has described.

Friday, June 30, 2017 3:22 AM
  • Thks for your reply.  But there is no any change at all after adopting your method. 

You must reenter percent complete values for the tasks with progress ahead of the status date. That is, type the same values over the existing ones. Those are 70%, 30%, 20%, 10% and 10%.

Friday, June 30, 2017 7:27 AM

You must reenter percent complete values for the tasks with progress ahead of the status date. That is, type the same values over the existing ones. Those are 70%, 30%, 20%, 10% and 10%.

i do reenter the value one by one. The result remains unchanged
    Monday, July 3, 2017 2:03 AM
  • Hello Phoenix,

If possible, I need to see the file. Please send it to me at ikocaman.pm[at]gmail.com.

Tuesday, July 4, 2017 6:44 PM
  • Phoenix,

F9 does not work. First, I have entered a larger value (for example, type 15% over 10%), then typed in the original value again. This action will force MS Project to redraw the existing progress lines. There is no need to do this for the new entries. 

• Proposed as answer by John - Project Wednesday, July 5, 2017 1:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by Phoenix Chow Tuesday, July 11, 2017 1:26 AM
    Wednesday, July 5, 2017 7:49 AM
  • Phoenix,

thanks for your treasure reply. Since i am a newbie in this software, i need to take some time to study & will ask you if i still have any further question.  Thanks for your help again

• Marked as answer by Phoenix Chow Friday, July 7, 2017 3:53 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Phoenix Chow Tuesday, July 11, 2017 1:26 AM
    Friday, July 7, 2017 2:50 AM
  • Phoenix,

Just for reference, Ismet answered your question, not you, so in fairness I think you should give him the credit for the answer.

John

Saturday, July 8, 2017 3:51 PM
  • Phoenix,

Just for reference, Ismet answered your question, not you, so in fairness I think you should give him the credit for the answer.

John

John, 

I made it by mistake before & i had taken the remedy action afterwards.  Pls. kindly let me know if i still make any mistake since i am not familiar to use the function in this forum.  

Sorry for any misunderstanding caused.

Thks & regards,

Phoenix

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 2:11 AM
  • Phoenix,

No problem. I'm glad Ismet was able to find a solution that works for you.

John

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 3:46 PM
  • Thank you John. And thank you Phoenix for the feedback. 

Saturday, July 15, 2017 6:47 PM
  • I need to thanks you indeed, Ismet.  You help me to solve the problem.  
    Tuesday, July 18, 2017 4:22 AM