none
Cannot set tape free RRS feed

• Question

• I am using DPM2012

I have tapes from a Protection Group (PG) that I cannot set as free.

I get this error:

Set-Tape : The selected tapes cannot be marked as free because they belong to protection groups.
    You need to stop protection of the associated protection groups before you can mark the tapes as free.
    The protection group that a tape belongs to is listed in the Protection Group column. (ID: 31116)
    At C:\Scripts\SetTapeFree.ps1:56 char:14
    +              Set-Tape -Tape $media -Free
    +              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Set-DPMTape], ContainsValidDatasetException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : MarkAsFreeValidDatasetError,Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.C
       mdlet.MarkMedia

Now this PG is protecting Sharepoint. The issue has recently come about after I replaced the WFE Server. I had to stop protecting the old WFE Server in order for DPM to see the Sharepoint VSS.

Backups seem to be working fine.

When I stopped protection of old WFE server, I chose to keep Disk and Tape restore points. DPM seemed to know it was the same SharePoint data, as DPM can still use the old Tape data to restore (I did an item level recovery from tape)

DPM is not recognizing the expiry dates on the tapes and I now cannot clear it with SetTapeFree.ps1 (giving the above error). I am guessing it is to do with the way I replaced the WFE Server and DPM is maybe wanting the old WFE Server to clear the database entries.

I don't really want to delete all the old restore points at this stage, just in case I need to do a restore in future. I guess I could just use new tapes. A way to clear the old tapes would be good.

has changed

Sunday, December 16, 2018 6:35 AM

All replies