WSUS Approved Updates and Testing RRS feed

• Question

• I have a question. My WSUS is working properly so far.

When I do updates second Tuesday of each month, I usually check the Unapproved Updates from Server Statistics Link. I write down the KB numbers, then approve the updates as needed, for a Specific Test Group.

By Friday of same week, I check and see if the testing systems are fine and have no issues. If no issue, I start searching WSUS Server for the KB numbers that I approved on Tuesday. This list could take a while, based on how many updates there were. Then I approve each KB for the whole company, which takes a while.

Questions:

How can I go about improving/speeding up this task? I don't want to sit and write down each KB. I want to approve the new updates for a testing group, but at the same time, I want those updates in a specific place where I can go and see them, and choose them all to approve for the rest of the company.

How does one go about this? I'm sure i'm not the only person doing this. I would appreciate any help on this.

Thanks...

Monday, December 8, 2014 2:08 PM

Answers

• Well, you can create an Update View filtered by Computer Group, so that it will only show updates approved for test clients - a "Approved for Test" view. Then you can use this view to approve tested updates for deployment to other computer groups. So your routine will be as following:

1. Approve new needed updates for Test Clients group (you can also set up an auto-approve rule for it)

2. After a week of testing, open "Approved for Test" view, sort it by release date, select all new updates, choose Approve and select all other computer groups.

Gleb.

• Edited by Gleb F.NG Monday, December 8, 2014 4:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Monday, December 22, 2014 3:24 PM
    Monday, December 8, 2014 4:34 PM