Office 2003 SP3 running on Windows 7 32bit will not open files via UNC path of a 2003 sharepoint server. RRS feed

• Question

• I got an issue with a customer who is running windows 7 enterprise 32bit + latest patches, Office 2003 SP3 + latest patches, sharepoint 2003 server with latest patches.

We cannot get excel to open files when mapping a sharepoint folder to a drive letter or via the direct UNC path. I have tried various methods to get this to work such as run in administrator mode with and with out compatibility XP sp3 and sp2, there are no proxies set either. I can open them with IE, but we have to upload the changes to the sharepoint site. We cannot save them to the UNC path.

When I attempt this from a PC(mine) running windows 7 Enterprise 32bit with office 2007 sp2. It opens with no issue and prompts for the username and password every time. The setup with windows/office 2003sp3 does not prompt for a username or password. It just fails to open. The 2 error messages I get are

Could not open "http://ssl/c10/..."

Microsoft office excel cannot access the file "Q:\something.xls"

The file name or path does not exists.

The files is being used by another program

The workbook you are trying to save has the same name as a currently open workbook

none of these are the case. I can open the file if I copy it locally from the sharepoint site as well.

Thursday, September 9, 2010 11:05 PM

Answers

• Hi, after checking the issue, it seems this is a general Windows SharePoint issue. As this forum focuses on Windows 7 specific issues, this inquiry would best be posted to Windows SharePoint forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/sharepoint2010

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Friday, September 17, 2010 5:20 AM
    Monday, September 13, 2010 9:08 AM