none
disk recommendation and should i co-locate RRS feed

• Question

• We are about to redo our disk layout for DPM 2010 because of poor planning during setup and I was hoping to get some advise.  We are protecting around 200 laptops so we are frequently deleting systems and adding new ones.  I was wondering if it is a good idea to co-locate in that case.  We currenly are and DPM seems to keep creating new datasources instead of putting systems in the place of deleted ones. 

I'm also wondering if it is better to give DPM one big chunk of storage from the SAN or divide it.  We are using about 10TB of storage total. 

Thanks!

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 1:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Anonymiss1

If you have a lot of client protection turnover, you can reduce the number of co-located clients per replica by changing the following registry from 0xA (10 decimal) down to 2 or 3.  That should help reduce wasted replica volume space after clients are unprotected, especially if they all shared the same replica, it can then be deleted.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Collocation\Client
      Name:            DSCollocationFactor
      Type:            REG_DWORD
      Data:            0xa 

Keep in mind though that this will reduce the overall number of clients that can be protected per DPM server due to the 300 data source limit.  See http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/02/26/about-dpm2010-scalability-and-new-features.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 9:03 PM
  • Hi,

I always create volumes around 2TB from the storage and assign the whole disk to DPM so it can create it's own partitions. I think it's better to keep some partition tables of "manageable" sizes than just one with hundreds of partitions. DPM can join disk chunks from different disk volumes, there's a low chance of having unused free space.

• Marked as answer by anonymiss1 Wednesday, September 26, 2012 11:51 AM
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 7:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I always create volumes around 2TB from the storage and assign the whole disk to DPM so it can create it's own partitions. I think it's better to keep some partition tables of "manageable" sizes than just one with hundreds of partitions. DPM can join disk chunks from different disk volumes, there's a low chance of having unused free space.

• Marked as answer by anonymiss1 Wednesday, September 26, 2012 11:51 AM
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 7:09 AM
  • Hi Anonymiss1

If you have a lot of client protection turnover, you can reduce the number of co-located clients per replica by changing the following registry from 0xA (10 decimal) down to 2 or 3.  That should help reduce wasted replica volume space after clients are unprotected, especially if they all shared the same replica, it can then be deleted.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Collocation\Client
      Name:            DSCollocationFactor
      Type:            REG_DWORD
      Data:            0xa 

Keep in mind though that this will reduce the overall number of clients that can be protected per DPM server due to the 300 data source limit.  See http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/02/26/about-dpm2010-scalability-and-new-features.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 9:03 PM