Updating files in %systemroot RRS feed

• Question

• I have been struggling with this problem for a month or so and need some help. I am running Small Business Server 2011 Standard and my WinXP clients have not been able to use the built in fax server; Win7 clients work as expected. After finding the resolution with tech help, it was discovered that Win Server 2008 R2 fax drivers, which are uploaded to all clients attached to the domain, are not compatible with WinXP. The solution was to replace six files in %systemroot\System32\spool\w32x86\ folder with files which will work in the WinXP clients. Typically, when this is attempted, the WinXP compatible files are immediately replaced with the non-compatible files again when WinXP is rebooted. The users are local administrators on their systems. Any suggestion on how to replace these six files (fax drivers) and have them stay put in the folder? Thanks for your help!
    Best Regards, Mark
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 3:05 PM

All replies

• Please refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463455.aspx

"Disabling Windows File Protection

You may disable WFP by setting the value SFCDisable (REG_DWORD) in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows NT\ CurrentVersion\ Winlogon. By default, SFCDisable is set to 0, which means WFP is active. Setting SFCDisable to 1 will disable WFP. Setting SFCDisable to 2 will disable WFP for the next system restart only (without a prompt to re-enable).

Important: You must have a kernel debugger attached to the system via null modem cable (for example:I386kd.exe or Windbg.exe) to use SFCDisable = 1 or SFCDisable = 2.

After WFP is disabled using the SFCDisable = 1 setting, the following message will appear after logon:

Warning! Windows File Protection is not active on this system. Would you like to enable Windows File Protection now? This will enable Windows File Protection until the next system restart. <Yes> <No>.

Clicking Yes will reactivate WFP until the next system restart. This message will appear at every successful logon until SFCDisable is set to 0.

NOTE: The above message will only be presented to Administrators.

"

According to my research, to avoid the message, you need to do some serious hacking of the sfc dll files, and I don't recommend this.  If your users are not administrators, they won't see the message.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 4:08 PM
  • Thank you for your reply. In examining this particular folder and path, none of these files have system or hidden attributes. In fact the 'View' options are set not to view hideen or system files; these 'fax' files are visible.

Some more troubleshooting I was able to change these six files by enetering 'Safe' mode and changing the files to the appropriate version for WinXP. With these files confirmed to be the correct version ( ver 5.2 instead of 6.1, in this case), and in the correct folder, I log into this WinXP client with the network administrator's account. The fax client will now work correctly. I log off the machine and log in with a client account, then the fax client does not work (the errror message reports 'All fax devices are unavailable'.

Any suggestions welcome!

Best Regards, Mark
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 8:57 PM
  • I don't think system or hidden attributes have anything to do with it.  Was I was trying to say was that Windows File Protection is kicking in.

Please see the following link for explanation:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/222193

• Proposed as answer by Bigteddy Wednesday, August 3, 2011 9:52 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by fastzrex Wednesday, August 3, 2011 1:12 PM
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 10:13 PM
  • Thank you for taking time to look at my problem.

While WFP is the root of the problem, I have been able to maintain the older version of the files in the correct folder, even when a non-network administrator is logged onto the computer (as a local admin). The final problem is that a normal network user (with local admin rights) can not fax from the XP computer, although a network administrator, logged into the same computer, may send faxes.

Best Regards, Mark
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 1:17 PM
  • Sorry that you could find no resolution.
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 1:20 PM