none
Pre-Login Screen Saver "slideshow" hangs SSv2.0 completely during scheduled update RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

Hi,

I have set up a clean system with a pre-login screen saver, set with a timeout of 5 seconds, at which point the screen saver SLIDESHOW displays advertising screenshots etc. This works fine, if someone moves the mouse the welcome screen comes up, and if no login is selected, the screen saver comes back on 5 seconds later. Login on and off etc for days without any issues or hangs.

However, WITHOUT FAIL SteadyState completely hangs during a scheduled Update if the screen saver activates. I have to stand there, constantly moving the mouse during the 3 mins it takes to update/reboot. If I let the screen saver kick in - then the update process will never end - I left it for over 12 hours overnight without it making any signs of progress.

I've had to disable update schedule until this is fixed. I cannot use v2.5 due to the "Welcome Screen Not Shown" bug, which is required for the average member of the public - otherwise EVERYONE asks what the password is (There isn't one)

Many thanks

Steve

Saturday, December 1, 2007 10:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Steve,

How did you setup the pre-login screen saver?

Did this issue persist after disabling this screen saver?

From your description, it seems the screen saver blocked the update process, you can temporarily disable the pre-login screen saver to test if this issue continues.

Best Regards,

Monday, December 3, 2007 12:09 PM
  •  

I used the standard method, as described in:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314493 

I changed the SCRNSAVE.EXE value to 'c:\windows\system32\ssmypics.scr'

and set ScreenSaveTimeOut to 5

if I remove these values, SteadyState Update completes sucessfully

If I increase the Timeout to a value above that needed for SteadyState Update, then it completes without issue.

The images are in the default directory for the slideshow screensaver

Hope this helps you resolve this obvious bug.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 1:51 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update!

I just completed a test with the following steps. However, it seems Updates were installed without issue:

1. Install a new Windows XP system.

2. Visit Windows Update website to make sure update can be installed.

3. Follow the above KB to configure the Pre-Login Screen Saver to C:\Windows\System32\ssmyst.scr. Change the ScreenSaveTimeOut value to 5. Log off to test, it works.

4. Install SteadyState, enable WDP. Configure Schedule Software Update to 3:00 AM.

5. Change the system time to 2:58 AM.

The computer restarted two minutes later. The screensaver started soon. However, I didn't touch the keyboard or mouse… Over about one hour later, the computer finally rebooted. I checked the Add/Remove Programs. About 90 updates were installed!

I am not sure what happed on your side. However, you can connect to the Windows Update website to check if update can be installed, or test if issue also happens on another computer. I will do another test if new updates are available.

Best Regards,

Thursday, December 6, 2007 10:38 AM
  • Hi Shawn,

Unfortunately, you didn't use the screen saver I did... you used ssmyst.scr, whereas I used ssmypics.scr, which attempts to load pictures etc from disk - I must admit at this moment I cannot recall whether I kept the pictures within 'My Pictures' or C:\PICS or C:\Program Files\PICS

I suspect its this attempt to load files from somewhere on the harddisk which is causing the failure.....

Unfortunately I think you'll need to do your testing again....

Cheers

Steve

Thursday, December 6, 2007 11:10 AM
  • Thank you for your prompt feedback. I will copy some pictures to my test pc,  and uninstall some updates to continue. If possible, you can also change the screensaver to test.

Regards,

Thursday, December 6, 2007 11:31 AM
  • Hi Steve,

To make the pre-login screensaver work, I have to copy pictures to the following location:

C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\My Documents\

When updating, sometimes, screen goes black, I have to restart the computer manually to complete the update. I would like to confirm if similar issue occurs on your side.

Based on our tests, if the issue only occurs on ssmypics.scr, the only difference is it loads the pictures from aother location. The following workaround may worth trying:

Using some tools to convert the pictures to a single screensaver file. Then, use the file as pre-login screensaver.

Aone Photo Screensaver Maker

http://www.winpcware.com/saver_tools/aone-photo-screensaver-maker-pid6096.htm

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Best Regards,

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 3:53 AM
  •  

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for confirming this bug exists with SSv2.0 using the slideshow screensaver - the black screen of death with just the mouse pointer visible when you move the mouse to deactivate the screensaver during Steady State scheduled updates is exactly what happens to me - 100% of the time without fail.

I haven't tried the pictures located where you suggested, so I will move them. Did you try with the pictures in other locations ?

I simply added and edited this section into the registry to alter its default behaviour:

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Screen Saver.Slideshow]
    "ImageDirectory"="C:\\Pix"
    "PaintInterval"=dword:00000000
    "ChangeInterval"=dword:00003a98
    "DisplayFilename"=dword:00000000
    "MaxScreenPercent"=dword:0000005a
    "DisableTransitions"=dword:00000000
    "AllowStretching"=dword:00000000
    "AllowKeyboardControl"=dword:00000001
    "MaxFailedFiles"=dword:000003e8
    "MaxSuccessfulFiles"=dword:00010000
    "MaxDirectories"=dword:000000c8

Can you confirm that this will be investigated and attempted to be resolved in v2.5 ? I cannot currently attempt to test this with  v2.5 beta due to the welcome screen bug.

Many thanks

Steve

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 6:29 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Thanks for your confirmation and effort on this issue. Your sharing does make sense when creating a Logon screen saver. Of course, I will report this issue to our product team. If there is any update on this issue, I will post here as soon as possible.

Best Regards,

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 3:11 AM