none
Mail getting stuck in Outbox

Question

• I am using Outlook 2007 and exchange server.  When send emails they oftentimes get stuck in the Outbox with a sent date of "None".  If I restart outlook and try resending the messages, they will oftentimes go out.  I am having to restart outlook 5 times a day right now.  Any ideas what would cause emails going out through exchange server to just "get stuck"?  Sometimes when I sent the emails and I watch the Outbox folder, the messages will appear in the outbox with a "sent" date, then after a second or so that "Sent" date will just change to "none" and the email just won't go out.  Any advice on how to troubleshoot or fix? 

One other note...some messages just NEVER go out 9regardless of how many times I hit restart outlook and hit send) and I need to rewrite them by creating a new message and sending and that new message.

NOTE: this appears to happen when I'm in a state where I am "Connected to Microsoft Exchange".

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 2:16 PM

All replies

• I also have this issue with Exchange 2007 and Outlook 2007.

It appears that the mail IS being sent, but getting stuck in the outbox.

If I access my mailbox via NON cached exchange or via OWA I can delete them.

I think it is either an Outlook 2007 bug, or Exchange 2007 bug (more likely)

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 10:47 AM
  • Count me in on that one as well.  Extermely frustrating.....any find a fix yet?
    • Proposed as answer by CrunchTime2 Wednesday, December 07, 2011 2:44 PM
    Monday, January 29, 2007 4:32 PM
  • No fix from me yet, but it's still happening.

Very annoying.

Monday, January 29, 2007 4:36 PM
  • Hello , same problem for me, any solutions?

I installed exchange 2007 (standard install) on windows 2003 server.

Changed nothing on the original setup.I only tried to send internal mail.
    All mail that i send internally stucks in my outbox.

Tx,

• Proposed as answer by Phelper Thursday, August 26, 2010 10:49 AM
    Thursday, February 01, 2007 2:08 PM
  • Try this...... Tools/Options/Mail setup, and tick the box- Send immediately when connected.
    • Proposed as answer by ladynan Thursday, April 29, 2010 4:23 PM
    Saturday, February 03, 2007 7:52 PM
  • It was already checked and still have the problem.

The mail gets stuck in the outbox, but it DOES actually get sent. 

The only way to clear it is to either use OWA nor non cached mode.

Saturday, February 03, 2007 8:53 PM
  • Hi, I am not even using 2007 and this problem popped up all of a sudden. The only way I have found around it is to hit Forward and then Send and a copy of the mail is moved into the Send folder and actually goes. Please let me know if you find an easier way of doing this.
    Sunday, February 04, 2007 3:17 PM
  • Greeton,

I am using Outlook 2007 with Exchange 2007 and the problem only seems to occur on Outlook 2007 users.

Can you let me know what configuration you have?

Monday, February 05, 2007 11:05 AM
    • I am using Outlook 2007 and it worked fine until -
    • I selected a document (large file) in 'MyDocuments' and right clicked and selected 'Send
      to Email Recipient'
    • It went to my Outbox but appeared to be stuck there and not sent. Did not
      appear in 'Sent Items' folder at all but I discovered that it did send, each
      time I checked my email!
    • I have run a test on the account and it was good.
    • I have deleted the email account and setup a new one and same problem.
    • Re-boot etc. makes no difference.

Is anyone aware of a patch or workaround?
    I am now using MSMail and would prefer,like the rest of you, to use the product I paid a lot of
    money for. :(
    I have searched MS site, the forums and even subcribed to MS OutlookCommunity Newsgroup. No one seems to be able to resolve this.

?  :(

Thursday, February 15, 2007 4:02 PM
  • I had the same thing.

I created another profile same settings as the one having trouble, deleted the emails and tried again, its working now.

*Shrug.

Thursday, February 15, 2007 5:28 PM
  • I'm using Outlook 2007 and tried to send a few videos, without thinking, and clogged up my outbox for three days.  Prior to send/receive on the third day I forwarded the posts and was able to delete the attachments and addresses and so far two out of five are now in the sent items, unsent I think.  However I am two steps closer to being able to use my email.

Monday, March 05, 2007 4:13 PM
  • Actually the same problem occur with Outlook 2003 and seem to have coincided whilst trying to open an Email with outlook express.

I have just upgraded to Office 2007 and the issue is still there.

My current work around is to create new mail from the outbox window which will work if there is at least one message in the outbox. As long as don't interact with the created email it will send the message as normal. However if I click on it, it will change the 'sent' to none.  

Threads from other site suggest to delete the mail database and create a new one!

Friday, March 30, 2007 8:20 PM
  • Well, further to my previous post, I have followed other thread advice and remove (backup first!) all the files under my profile. 'C:\document and setting \ %myprofile%\application data\microsoft\outlook '. restarted outlook, which created  2 files: "outcmd.dat" and "Outlook.srs" under my profile directory.

And now outlook seem to work accordingly, which is send email from the outbox....

Smile

• Proposed as answer by svm2 Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:46 PM
    Friday, March 30, 2007 9:22 PM
  • This was happening to me because in my mail was set up to "Use Cached Exchange Mode."  I resolved it by going through the following steps:

1. "Start"
      2. "Settings"
      3. "Control Panel"
      4. "Mail"
      5. "Data Files"
      6. "E-mail Accounts"
      7. Double Clicked on "Microsoft Exchange Server"
      8. Removed the check from "Use Cached Exchange Mode"
      9. "Close"
      10. "Close"
      11. Opened Outlook and the mail was gone from my Outlook and I was able to accept my meeting requests again!

I hope this helps!

Thursday, April 05, 2007 1:22 PM
  • I have the exact same problem as the original poster. I am using Outlook 2007 with Exchange 2003. Changing to to Cached Exchange mode does not tix the problem as stated by some in this thread. I am going to create another account next. I wish there was another way to do this. Is there any word from Microsoft on this?
    Monday, April 16, 2007 2:56 PM
  • Facing the same issue. I'm not using Exchange Server, instead using POP account. In my previous company, we were using exchange 2003 with outlook 2003 and few of the users were facing the same issue.

Currently with Outlook 2007 on Vista Business Edition, my emails though sent out but shown in outbox. The outlook constantly then attempts to send out the stuck emails taking the CPU utilization to over 50% for outlook process. My whole system nearly hangs.

PLEASE HELP!

Sunday, April 29, 2007 8:03 AM
  • This is what helped me

Message stuck in Outbox

It doesn't happen too often but when a message is stuck in the Outbox it can be a real pain. Below you'll find three methods to get the message out of the Outbox.

Method 1

Open the message from the Outbox and close it again. Now select the message and press DELETE

Method 2

Put Outlook in offline mode. To do this go to File-> Work Offline. Now restart Outlook and see if you can delete it (you can try this in combination with method 1). Don't forget to put Outlook back On-line again.

Method 3

1. Create a new pst-file; File-> New-> Outlook Data File...
    2. Set this pst-file as your default delivery location in your Account settings; Tools-> E-mail Accounts-> button Next
    3. When you now restart Outlook your original pst-file will show up as the secondary set of folders where should easily be able to remove the file from or even the complete Outbox folder
    4. Set the original pst-file as the default delivery location again and restart Outlook; the Outbox folder will be recreated and will be empty.

Method 4

Use the Microsoft MDBVU32.EXE tool to forcefully clear the Outbox. The instructions for this are the same for when removing a stuck read receipt but instead of choosing "MDB-> Open Root Folder" choose "MDB-> Open IPM Outbox".

http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/messagestuckinoutbox.htm
    Monday, June 11, 2007 5:55 PM
  • Same situation here as most are experiencing above. 

Have implemented some the above 'fixes' but problem still persists.

Suggestions from anyone familar with issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 8:24 PM
  • so i am a total novice at Vista and Outlook 2007 and had the same problem using a POP3. On another forum someone said that using the contact addresses caused the problem.  sure enough I hand entered the addresses and the message went out

now my other question - the only reason I did a trial of 2007 was to synch my PDA - tell me that Mozilla has a program I can synch too!
    thanks
    Friday, June 29, 2007 12:23 AM
  • Method 2 worked for me.  Thanks for the assistance!
    Thursday, July 05, 2007 1:17 AM
  • Method 2 worked for me 

Thank you vital.thread for relieving my nightmare!

apexadam

Saturday, July 14, 2007 8:47 AM
  • U can delete the mail strucked in the outbox, when u logging in to the outlook in offline mode.

Login in to the outlook in offline mode, create one temp pst file and move the strucked mail in to the .pst file and there after remove the .pst folder from ure profile. defenatly this will help u, because i have faced the same kind of issue so many times.

NOTE: U wouldn`t move the strucked mail in the .pst file during online mode.

Saturday, July 14, 2007 12:13 PM
  • Hi All,

I have had similar issues and found that in my case it is always a new message that I am sending to a contact in my contacts folder.  If I reply to a message, or type the email address directly into the to field I have no problems.

The last time it occurred, I opened up the contact record for the recipient and re-saved it in OL2007 (I had created it in OL2003) and now message to that contact work.

Regards,

Doug

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 8:40 AM
  • Many of this is very useful information, but surely this must be related to a bug somewhere. Can others confirm if they only have this problem when sending to contacts in their contact list? I am migrating to Exchange 2007 with Outlook 2007 as a client in our organization. As a first user I never have this issue on my machine, but the first two users I migrated are both reporting this issue occasionally (eg. around 1/10 messages they send) and they do have quite a lot of personal contacts.

All the solutions on how to remove a mail stuck from your outbox are not so important to me, I would like to be more able to answer why things are happening to the end users so they can prevent it.

Thanks for any further input!

Wouter
    Friday, July 27, 2007 8:45 AM
  • I have had a few more stuck messages and in all cases they had all been held up by contacts that had been created prior to upgrading to OL07 and not opened/saved.  Each of the contacts I encountered I had previously assigned categories.  I can't be sure, but this may be related.

I should point out that where a mail message was sent to multiple recipients and got stuck, all the recipients bar the one that was holding the mail up received the mail message.  If I then resent the message it went to everone again, hence some people received the email twice.

I also looked on http://www.howto-outlook.com and Robert Sparnaajj also suggested the following:

·         Move the contacts to a contacts folder in a new pst-file and then back again to their original location. This forces a rewrite of the contact item

·         Export your contacts to a vcf-file and then import them again. Note that some contact properties can get lost this way since Outlook Contact Items support more functionality than a vcf can offer

·         Export your contacts to an Excel sheet or csv-file and then import them again. Note that you set the mapping of the columns correctly when importing

I know this doesn't help identify the exact problem for your migration, but generally I have found OL07 to be as stable as OL03 and this is the only issue I have encountered.

Regards,

DougPi

Friday, July 27, 2007 8:56 AM
  • Thanks for the information, I am definitely happy to have a pointer regarding where to look. Perhaps I am not helping the situation seeing that my migration procedure is as follows (I am not happy about this situation at all, but it is as it is):

• Connect a machine with outlook 2003 and the zimbra connector to our Zimbra server (see www.zimbra.com, but don't be lured into their offer, clearly their solution CANNOT replace exchange)
    • Generate a PST file for the entire account
    • Connect another pc with Outlook 2007 in online mode to Exchange (eg.not cached)
    • Import the PST generated from the export in Outlook 2003
    Perhaps a pst file exported from outlook 2003 and imported in outlook 2007 does create the same issues as upgrading from 2003, I don't know. Will do some testing with the solutions above and get back to you guys re my findings.

Wouter

Friday, July 27, 2007 9:39 AM
  • So here is what is happening:

Mail is actually mail that is replied on. So the reply is getting stuck and is not delivered to the end user. Deleting the mail from the outbox folder isn't a problem. This is happening to about 5% of all mail.

Users are connected to exchange via Outlook anywhere (via HTTPS) and the certificate has been signed by a trusted root. All connection statusses show connected and high connection speeds.

The office installs and Exchange installation are all up to date at the moment.

I have only three users on Exchange so far, me, and two others. My mail works like a charm, both the others have this problem.

Currently I am drawing blank and considering to actually call microsoft for a support request (for the first time in my life). Is this a bug? What does everyone here think?
    Friday, July 27, 2007 11:49 AM
  • Now that I am able to reproduce perhaps someone has some advice for me. The problem is with replying to messages from older accounts. In the header information of the emails that I cannot reply to I find the following:

X-Zimbra-Tags:
    X-Zimbra-Flags:
    X-Zimbra-Received: 1182168059000
    X-Zimbra-Modified: 1182168382000
    X-Zimbra-Change: 393272
    X-Zimbra-Revision: 393261
    X-Zimbra-Conv: -50083

But I tried to remove all the zimbra connector stuff and old profiles before installing the new version of office. How can Outlook be affected so badly by these headers? Am I missing something or are the headers missing something?

Am I stupid? (No need to answer, I know I am Stick out tongue )
    Friday, July 27, 2007 3:43 PM
  • Okay- I am a bit more inexperienced but I found the problem was when I tried to send a new email and pulling the address from my contact list - write it manually - no problem! -
    answer - turned on Thunderbird! ugh - not what I want -

and no I don't have an exchange account.
    Sunday, July 29, 2007 2:23 AM
  •  

Guys,

Just take backup of your POP3 / SMTP settings

Backup your rules (client/server)

Remove the profile inlcluding the data files associated with the mail account (do not delete them)

Recreate the exchange account / recreate the POP3/SMTP account

I had the same issue and did the above procedures then everything si smooth now.......

Got to try it

• Proposed as answer by ladynan Thursday, April 29, 2010 5:19 PM
    Sunday, August 05, 2007 5:00 PM
  •  

I went through the list as above and got to data files and then you say to click on email accounts but there is none there??  Any suggestions??  Thanks, Bev
    Thursday, August 16, 2007 6:57 PM
  • Same problem; hand typed the addresses and it worked. This after spending an hour w/ my ISP's tech support. Noticed that when e-mail address was in the format - first last(first.last@dns.com) - (the parantheses seem to have something to do with it) as obtained from Contacts the e-mail would get stuck in the Outbox; if I hand typed first.last@dns.com it would go through no problem. I documented this with ISP who, I believe, sent it along to MS. Hope they figure this out.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 6:24 PM
  • I am having the exact same problem, were you able to make any progress on getting replies and forwards to work on mail imported from zimbra?
    Wednesday, August 22, 2007 5:28 AM
  • I had the same problem with Outlook 2007 - (POP email) - any contact in the address book used directly in the address line caused a stuck message in Outbox.  (Hand typed the same email address and no problem)

The Excel CSV export of my Contacts followed by an import has completely cleared the problem.

Many thanks for the solution - much appreciated.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 10:45 PM
  • Hey guys! GOTTA FIX FOR WINDOWS MAIL GETTING STUCK! THIS WORKS IN INBOX AS WELL!  This download is on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941090/en-us  download your update for your Vista version, restart your computer, PRESTO! You can delete those pesky little messages!  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=09F002D9-A140-42A8-99F5-A86F2B7E39F1

Use either one! I am so excited!!! Finally!!! One less thing to worry about in the world! Ejoy everyone! Happy Holidays!

Thursday, November 15, 2007 7:00 PM
  • I have been having this trouble for 2 weeks I came here looking for a solution.

Monday, January 21, 2008 9:03 PM
  • I found that if I select the msg marked None, press Forward, then send mail, it goes out.  Then I have to delete the one that is still stuck there.  I've been living with this problem for a while, trying to figure out why it's happening.

Wonder why Microsoft cannot fix this very annoying problem.  I'm looking for ways to get out of Windows altogether, sick of wasting my time with foolish things like this.  Macbound..

Thursday, January 31, 2008 3:17 AM
  • I am wondering if there is a way to rebuild Outlook so that strange behavior is removed, at least that would be my hope.

Does anyone have any idea?  I saw a message earllier in the thread but that seemed to be for an Exchange server unless I didn't understand.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 8:20 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion of typing in the email addresses -- that does the trick and messages go out.  Deleting wasn't my concern: my concern was having confidence that my email is being sent!

I'm with you, Dr. Pangloss: sick of wasting my time!!  A friend who supports Win machines for our computer clusters recently made the switch at home and said, "It's changed my life." After seeing my WinXP machine hang on the error reporting pop up and waking up to the message "Not enough resources to complete the API" each morning, I'm bailing. 

• Proposed as answer by KHANSEN62 Thursday, August 29, 2013 6:27 PM
    Friday, February 22, 2008 11:13 PM
  • This started happening to me out of the blue.  I'd used 2007 for 3 or 4 months without email hanging in the outbox.

SOLUTION: 

1. Start Outlook and click on "Contacts" to go to the contacts section of the navigation pane. 

2. Right click "Contacts" *within* the navigation pane (on the left). 

3. Select "Create New Folder" and name it "Temp".

4. Select All contacts and *copy* them into the Temp folder.

5. Select All the contacts just created and paste them back into the original Contacts Folder. 

6.  When prompted to "Update" the first contact in your contacts list, choose "Update All."

I'm not sure what the connection is, but somehow corruption of contacts is at the heart of this.  With this method, they will be rewritten and email should stop hanging around the outbox.  This worked for me, as did typing individual email addresses instead of letting the contacts be populated from my address book.

BTW, I'm still getting a Mac - I consider this a stop-gap.

• Proposed as answer by ChrisPR Tuesday, March 10, 2009 11:35 PM
    Sunday, February 24, 2008 4:34 PM
  • This is really great!  I spent countless hours on the Microsoft chat line & kept getting the same reply - disable your firewall, etc., - but nothing every solved the problem.  Then, my computer crashed, and HP had to give me a new one because their inverter supplier went out of business and I got a brand new copy of Outlook 2007, and low and behold, the same problem with Outbox hangups started.  When someone said, just type in the address rather than using Control-K, everything started working fine.  I'm using an iPAQ to synchronize contacts between two computers, so I guess that's what caused the problem - I simply moved the "corrupted" list from the one computer to the new one by synchronizing.  However, as mentioned above, the old computer with Outlook 2003 NEVER had a problem, so this is definitely an Outlook 2007 problem and not "user error."  Again, thanks for sharing! 

Monday, March 03, 2008 9:59 AM
  • I am seeing this same problem with Windows Mobile 6.1 and Exchange Activesync 2007 SP1.

Every message sits in the outbox and never clears.  If you ready the message in the outbox, and then close the message, the message dissapears.

The message sends over and over.  Each message has a new header ETC.

This has to be a bug.

Friday, March 14, 2008 12:36 AM
  • This is getting really frustrating to me.  First of all, I've tried every solution offered above, and none have helped me.

Here's what I have:
    Windows XP SP2 (with all security updates)
    Outlook 2007 (Free version from launch event)
    Exchange 2003

What happens is when I start outlook, often mail just gets stuck in the outbox.  It doesn't send at all.  In the past, I could delete all the messages, close outlook, open outlook, go to the deleted items, open message, send message, and it would usually go through just fine.  Lately that doesn't even work very well.  I've been averaging having to repeat the delete/restart/open/send process about 10-15 times until it finally gets a good connection that lets me send.

Here's the thing that's a real kicker.  It's connected to exchange and I can see all the incoming mail, but the outbound gets stuck.

Once I can finally restart outlook and it sends mail, it continues to send mail until I have to restart outlook.  Because of this bug, I just never turn off my computer and I never restart outlook because it can take up to 15-20 minutes to get it functioning and having to repeatedly shut it down and restart it.
    Monday, March 17, 2008 2:31 PM
  • this is a strange problem. I'm using Outlook 2007 for 2003 before and now 2007 and don't have that problem.

I don't use Cache mode though, it is default setting but it doesn't make sense using it in desktop PC.

I am curious if you have that Outbox problem when you send email by OWA (Web Access) or not?

Can you test from OWA to send a message to your outside email and see if you receive it quickly?

This is one way to trace if this is your Outlook client problem or your server problem.

I don't know if anyone asked this, just too many messages in the post to read.

HN

Monday, March 17, 2008 3:52 PM
  • I forgot to mention that I don't use cached mode.

As far as OWA, I just spent 20 minutes getting Outlook working today, so I don't want to break it again just to test, but I have played with it in the past, and if I recall correctly, I never have problems sending in OWA, UNLESS something is stuck in the outbox because of Outlook.  If my Outlook says that something is in the outbox, then OWA says that it's in the outbox.  I can't get OWA to send a stuck message, but OWA itself doesn't make any messages get stuck. I can't remember for sure, but it seems that if messages are stuck and I try to send with OWA, I believe  that it sends, but the other messages stay stuck.  It's been a couple months, so I don't remember for sure.

I've never had issues with OWA sending.

I've also had this issue at two different places I've worked.  I'd bet money on it being an Outlook 2007 issue more than anything else, or at least this particular issue.  Both places used Exchange 2003, but I've seen postings from people with Exchange 2007 as well.
    Monday, March 17, 2008 4:00 PM
  • Matt,

I hope that you recalled correctly because at least you can pin it down to the Outlook 2007 problem, not the exchange server. On the PC that you have problem, what is the Outlook 2007 status? (bottom right of the program, like "Online with Exchange ...")

In the email account configuration:

Do you use cached mode?

Do you have Offline folder on? (click disable to be sure)

Do you test with  "Connect Exchange Using HTTP"  on and off?

In that PC, hold control and click on the Outlook icon at the right side of your PC Status bar (in the clock area) and select "Connection status". Look for the Req/Fail column, do you have any fail? under status, are they all "Established"?

One more thing, have you check if there is any update available for Outlook 2007?

I found that switching between Outlook 2007 back to Outlook 2003 sometimes srew up your settings, like I have all my Outlook rules disabled.

HN

Monday, March 17, 2008 4:27 PM
  •  

I have exactly same problem, outlook 2007 against exchange 2007 server. I receive emails fine, I can send emails from OWA wothout problems, but as soon as i send an email from Outlook 2007, it just stays in outbox without being sent!

I can beleive MS havent come up with a workaround or solution to this yet!

Here is what i have tried so far, without any luck:

1: Disabling cached mode

2: uninstalling Sp1 from office

3: repairing Office installation

4: Reinstalling office

NOTHING seems to correct this problem, and its starting to be a real pain! Come on, MS, give us a solution now!

/weeMan

Thursday, March 27, 2008 12:24 AM
  • Well, I shut it down and restarted so I could answer some of your questions.  <sigh>   The good news is that you have helped me fix my problem apparently.  It was the Offline Folders.  Once I disabled that it's started working again.  Mine was getting so bad that only 5% of the time I opened outlook it was able to send mail.  After disabling offline folders I haven't been able to replicate the problem any more.

As to the other questions (for future reference and other users)

I don't use cached mode
    Yes, offline folder were on (this is what was causing my problem)
    Didn't check the connect with HTTP, but I doubt it would have made a difference
    Under the connection status, nothing had failed.  Everything said it was good.  The connection status said it was Online with Microsoft Exchange as well.

I only used Outlook 2007, I don't have 2003 on this machine any more, although I had upgraded from 2003 originally.  I have installed any updates for Office 2007 that were available from MS (from the update site, I didn't look for specific manual download and install issues, only ones from the update website)

Thanks for the help.  I'm glad it's working again.  That blasted Offline Folders.  Wink

Matt,

I hope that you recalled correctly because at least you can pin it down to the Outlook 2007 problem, not the exchange server. On the PC that you have problem, what is the Outlook 2007 status? (bottom right of the program, like "Online with Exchange ...")

In the email account configuration:

Do you use cached mode?

Do you have Offline folder on? (click disable to be sure)

Do you test with  "Connect Exchange Using HTTP"  on and off?

In that PC, hold control and click on the Outlook icon at the right side of your PC Status bar (in the clock area) and select "Connection status". Look for the Req/Fail column, do you have any fail? under status, are they all "Established"?

One more thing, have you check if there is any update available for Outlook 2007?

I found that switching between Outlook 2007 back to Outlook 2003 sometimes srew up your settings, like I have all my Outlook rules disabled.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 8:40 PM
  •  

Hi, glad to hear its working for you. Unfortunately this does not help my situation; i trid switching off offline folders, still no luck. its strange that my situation is the same wheter om running cached or not, offline folder or not. Tried setting up a PC next to this one, on same subnet, behind same switch and router, and installed outlook 2007; everything works on that pc. This is soooo frustrating...it must be a bug?
    Thursday, March 27, 2008 10:55 PM
  •  

Hi Holger,

I’ve got sort of the same problem, is there someone that maybe know how to fix this problem?

1. Using Outlook 2003 SP3
    2. Exchange 2003
    3. Using Cache and Offline mode

This normally happens when I work offline. I reply to mails in the inbox, create new emails and then some mail I’ve forwarded, all the messages is in the outbox (Because of the offline mode), as soon as I select the outbox it date one of the mails as “NONE” and that email doesn’t send at all. It also seems as that email is read.

I’ve tried a different account as well and what the scenarios seems like is, when you send a mail when you are offline and you open the mail in the outbox it date it as “NONE” and you can’t send the mail.

I’ve recreated the Outlook profile, OST file, reloaded office, update the SP of office and reload the OS from scratch but still the same problem.

Is there something else I need to try?

Regards,

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 8:10 AM
  • Holger & Deetlej1

Your problem is a very typical problem for Outlook 2007 as I found. I don't know if it is a bug but it seems it was not tested thoroughly, especially in Offline mode.

If you want your email sent, select the Outbox folder and press Ctrl-F9 instead of F9. Somehow when you do Send All (F9) all of the Email or Calendar won't update. but if you select a specific folder and select Send all in this folder (Ctrl-F9), it works. I can't remember correctly either select the Inbox or Outbox but I know that you must press Ctrl-F9. Weird!

For those of you who work Offline a lot, it's trickier in Outlook 2007. Base on my own experience (I don't work offline that much any way) if you work in Offline, you must be in Offline mode before you plug your network cable in. That means when you start your Outlook 2007, you should not have your network connected. Start your OL07 first, you will see at its status bar (bottom right) it shown as Offline,  then connect your network and sync (F9 or Ctrl-F9). When you run Outlook 07 with network connected, it will switch to Online mode and that causes problem with the synchronizing folders.

HN

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 3:09 PM
  • Hey! My problem was solved when clearing my config on my cisco. One of my employees had been fiddling with some firewall rules, adn deleted them again. So i decided to wipe the config, and that seemed to have helped. So I would advise people to look at network related issues!

Ill post if I experience this again! In the meantime ill follow this thread to see if there should be some general solution in the future.

Cheers.

/Holger

Monday, April 14, 2008 2:53 PM
  •  

I've found if u disconnect internet connection/go offline then the item will delete from outbox, reconnect to internet and normal service is resumed.

Hope this helps, DiSCo

Friday, April 18, 2008 10:27 AM
  •  

This is useful if you do need to use Offline Mode.  What if you are on a laptop and need to connect to your mail from outside the office?  This is not a solution, as much as it is a work around for a much bigger problem which needs to be addressed.
    Friday, April 25, 2008 6:55 PM
  • I am using Outlook 2007 with Vista Ultimate. I had this problem as well and as best I can figure is related to the Contacts issue cited previously. I sent to multiple receipients from my Contact List, only one message hung in the Outbox. When I tried to delete it I got a "The Folder is Full" message. I cleared it from the Outbox by opening the message and deleting all the receipients email addresses then I typed in my own email address and sent it to myself. This cleared the message from the Outbox.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 11:22 AM
  • Hello,

I found a solution that worked for me.

See:  http://www.slipstick.com/problems/outbox.htm

I followed the suggestions in the article and found that I had an add-in (that I did not need).  When I disabled the add-in, my problem was solved.

Test of article follows:

After viewing the Outbox, the messages in it won't send.

If you click on the Outbox while messages are waiting to be sent, the messages are marked as read and won't send.

This is caused by a Net framework add-in you have installed that 'reads' Outlook items, including the Send to OneNote from Outlook PowerToy add-in and BCM (Business Contact Manager). A list of other add-ins known to cause this behavior is listed below.

To send the affected messages, you'll need to open the message, then switch to a different folder before clicking Send on the message. Do not go open the Outbox until after the messages are sent.

To identify the add-in that results in this behavior:

Look in Tools, Options, Other, Advanced, Com add-ins. Disable the add-ins and re-enable them one at a time and test.

Since BCM and possibly other add-ins are not listed in the COM add-in list, check

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins
  • Export the keys then change the LoadBehavior value to 0 to disconnect an add-in. Restart Outlook and test.

Applications responsible

The following is a list of some of the applications which are reported to cause message to be marked as read. If you use these or any other add-ins, check for a newer version - newer versions of some of these applications will not cause problems. 

• ICQExpress (COMAddin), installed as part of ICQ
  • Business Contact Manager (BCM)
  • Send to OneNote from Outlook PowerToy
  • Outlock
  • Outlook Backup Add-in
  • Sierra Wireless Outlook Integration - disable in the registry. It's listed at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\SwiOutlookInt.Addin
  • ONFOLIO
  • Timeslips add-in
  • Attensa for Outlook. Check for upgrade: newer versions not affected.
  • Cisco Meetingplace plug-in
  • MindJet Mind Manager 6. Disable the add-in in the registry - the key is Mindjet.Mm6OutlookLinker.AddIn.2
  • Google desktop "search your own computer", specifically because it searches the mail
  • ScanSoft PDF Converter Outlook Addin
  • Norton AntiSpam Outlook Plugin
  • Norton Internet Security
  • AIM Sync
  • LinkedIn Outlook Toolbar
  • Salesforce
  • Upshot Outlook integration
  • MS CRM 3.0 Outlook Add-in
  • Xobni
  • Auto-Mate
  • RingCentral Add-in
  • DesktopSMS.Addin
  •    

More Information

If your mail won't send and it's not the problem described above, other possible causes are:
  • Authentication problems: Are you logging on to the mail server correctly?
  • No default mail account. If you can reply to messages but not send new message, check the account settings and make sure one is set as default. When you use a configuration script created by your mail provider or import accounts, an account is not always set as default.
  • See Email Won't Send - Common Causes for more information.

Monday, April 28, 2008 3:49 PM
  • I agree completely with Lisa Hagen, i find it astonishing that MS apparently keeps ignoring this problem although more and more users are experiencing this issue. It is no doubt an Outlook 2007 issue that need to be addressed asap!

WAKE UP MS! Just give us something...anything really...

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 9:34 AM
  •  DontPanicZ wrote:
    Hello,

I found a solution that worked for me.

See:  http://www.slipstick.com/problems/outbox.htm

I followed the suggestions in the article and found that I had an add-in (that I did not need).  When I disabled the add-in, my problem was solved.

Text of article follows:

After viewing the Outbox, the messages in it won't send.

If you click on the Outbox while messages are waiting to be sent, the messages are marked as read and won't send.

This is caused by a Net framework add-in you have installed that 'reads' Outlook items, including the Send to OneNote from Outlook PowerToy add-in and BCM (Business Contact Manager). A list of other add-ins known to cause this behavior is listed below.

To send the affected messages, you'll need to open the message, then switch to a different folder before clicking Send on the message. Do not go open the Outbox until after the messages are sent.

To identify the add-in that results in this behavior:

Look in Tools, Options, Other, Advanced, Com add-ins. Disable the add-ins and re-enable them one at a time and test.

Since BCM and possibly other add-ins are not listed in the COM add-in list, check

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins
  • Export the keys then change the LoadBehavior value to 0 to disconnect an add-in. Restart Outlook and test.

Applications responsible

The following is a list of some of the applications which are reported to cause message to be marked as read. If you use these or any other add-ins, check for a newer version - newer versions of some of these applications will not cause problems. 

• ICQExpress (COMAddin), installed as part of ICQ
  • Business Contact Manager (BCM)
  • Send to OneNote from Outlook PowerToy
  • Outlock
  • Outlook Backup Add-in
  • Sierra Wireless Outlook Integration - disable in the registry. It's listed at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\SwiOutlookInt.Addin
  • ONFOLIO
  • Timeslips add-in
  • Attensa for Outlook. Check for upgrade: newer versions not affected.
  • Cisco Meetingplace plug-in
  • MindJet Mind Manager 6. Disable the add-in in the registry - the key is Mindjet.Mm6OutlookLinker.AddIn.2
  • Google desktop "search your own computer", specifically because it searches the mail
  • ScanSoft PDF Converter Outlook Addin
  • Norton AntiSpam Outlook Plugin
  • Norton Internet Security
  • AIM Sync
  • LinkedIn Outlook Toolbar
  • Salesforce
  • Upshot Outlook integration
  • MS CRM 3.0 Outlook Add-in
  • Xobni
  • Auto-Mate
  • RingCentral Add-in
  • DesktopSMS.Addin
  •    

More Information

If your mail won't send and it's not the problem described above, other possible causes are:
  • Authentication problems: Are you logging on to the mail server correctly?
  • No default mail account. If you can reply to messages but not send new message, check the account settings and make sure one is set as default. When you use a configuration script created by your mail provider or import accounts, an account is not always set as default.
  • See Email Won't Send - Common Causes for more information.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 5:12 PM
  • I am running XP sp2 and outlook 2007 sp1 and I am also having issues with messages with attachments not leaving the outbox although they are being sent. I am not running exchange. Two weeks ago when I was using outlook 2002 I was able to send 5MB emails without any problems.
    I regret upgrading to this version and wouldnt recomend it.
    Tuesday, May 06, 2008 9:11 AM
  •  

Is this a fix for Office 2007 on XP?
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 12:53 PM
  • Hello Again!

It has been some time since i last had the problem with outlook 2007 (and still, oddly no microsoft reaction at all to this issue)

I just had the problem a few days ago again in another location. I solved it by disabling IP CEF on the cisco router of that location, which again clearly states that outlook 2007 has problems with some network related issues.

if you are a cisco user, try to disable CEF (cisco Express Forwarding) and see if that helps!

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 1:26 PM
  • I have found this fix to work in regards to emails sitting in the outbox and not sending:

In Outlook 2007,

GO TO:

Tools

Account Settings

Data Files Tab

Settings

Offline Folder File Settings

Copy File Text i.e: C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook0.ost

Close Outlook

Browse to file, minus the \outlook0.ost

Delete the .ost file

Re-open Outlook

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 10:54 AM
  •  

Hey Holger,

We're having the same issue, we only experience this problem at remote sites (with lower bandwidth WAN links).  How did you come across the CEF solution?  Have Microsoft/Cisco confirmed this as an issue?

We have CEF enabled on all of our core and edge switches.  It seems as though it's only an issue when over slow WAN links.

Cheers,

Gaz.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 12:58 PM
  • Hi Gaz!

No microsoft have not confirmed that this is a problem, and neither have cisco. I am not saying this is the correct solution, but it helped instantly on our issue. I am not able to get an official MS opinion about this, as MS sadly has refused to help me because my Exchange servers are on a Vmware infastructure. (not that i can see how that has anything to do with the issue, but "Company Policy")

Have you tried disabling CEF? Cef is in most scenarios unneeded unless you are running very large networks, like ISP services etc.

Regards, Holger

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 1:11 PM
  • Thank you, thank you, thank you,  I've tried everything else and your solution is the only one that seems to have worked, so far.  This has been driving me crazy.  I read in one post that it was caused by an update.  I don't know, I'm just glad it seems to be fixed.

Thanks again,

Mlwapw

Monday, September 01, 2008 12:40 AM
  • Hello mlwapw!

There are quite some solutions in this thread, I am curious, which solution helped you exactly?

/Hax

Monday, September 01, 2008 11:11 AM
  • Ditto I wouldn't mind knowing as well.  Our switches are managed by a third party so it's going to incur cost to get it changed.  We're going to have to be sure that this the cause before we can implement the fix.  We can't replicate the error either, it's not happening all of the time, we don't currently have any calls open for it, however there were two yesterday.

I've got a call into Microsoft at the moment so I'll let you know how I get on - fortunately our exchange servers are on physical hardware!

Tuesday, September 02, 2008 2:44 PM
  • Thanks!  This helped...I selected 'Connection Status' and clicked the [Reconnect] button and re-established all my connections and then my 'stuck' e-mail went thru.  Thanks again.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 8:46 PM
  • I had the same problem: message with huge attachment stuck in outbox. Found the answer in Technet somewhere that solved it. Here are the steps:

1)  Start Outlook and from the File menu click Work Offline.
    2)  Restart Outlook. Click on Outbox folder and highlight the message that's stuck.
    3)  Drag the record to another folder; I used Deleted Items. It worked!
    4)  Uncheck Work Offline.
    5)  Restart Outlook.

or another suggestion they gave was:

1) Do steps 1-2 above.
    2) After highlighting the stuck record, right click on it and select Move To from the drop-down box.
    3) Pick a folder to move it to and click OK.
    4) Do steps 4-5 above.

Hope this helps; it did for me.

rogerbrooks@msn.com
    Saturday, January 03, 2009 7:27 AM
  • OK Guys, I think I may have found the answer, although you might not like it.

Whilst performing some Disaster Recovery of Exchange 2007 I noticed that a few of my users (Pre-2007) were still in the "First Administrative Group" rather than "Exchange Administrative Group (FYIBstupidthing)".  You can find this by checking the LegacyExchangeDN AD attribute, or something like that.

Out of all my users, it was this lot who were having the mail stuck in the outbox issue.

I backed up one of them to a PST, ditched the mailbox from Exchange, Purged, and re-created a new mailbox.  Re-imported his emails.  His mailbox is now in the correct Group and he hasn't had the problem since.

Luckily, I have a small number of users, so I recreated them all, BUT IT WORKED!! No more stuck mail in Outbox.

P.S. If you do have users in the old group you will find it very difficult indeed to do disaster recovery!!
    Tuesday, January 06, 2009 2:08 PM
  • Thanks!  I did just as you said and now I can send email.
    Friday, January 09, 2009 1:21 AM
  • This started happening to me out of the blue.  I'd used 2007 for 3 or 4 months without email hanging in the outbox.

SOLUTION: 

1. Start Outlook and click on "Contacts" to go to the contacts section of the navigation pane. 

2. Right click "Contacts" *within* the navigation pane (on the left). 

3. Select "Create New Folder" and name it "Temp".

4. Select All contacts and *copy* them into the Temp folder.

5. Select All the contacts just created and paste them back into the original Contacts Folder. 

6.  When prompted to "Update" the first contact in your contacts list, choose "Update All."

I'm not sure what the connection is, but somehow corruption of contacts is at the heart of this.  With this method, they will be rewritten and email should stop hanging around the outbox.  This worked for me, as did typing individual email addresses instead of letting the contacts be populated from my address book.

My first reply didn't copy which post to which I was replying.  Here is the one that helped me from msw 70.  Are you an MSW?  I'm an LCSW.

• Proposed as answer by Bickit Thursday, February 11, 2010 2:09 PM
    Friday, January 09, 2009 1:25 AM
  • Hey All,

I have outlook 2003, and i have a 17 MEG file in out outbox that's stuck...

I've tried the MDBVU32 tool and it won't delete the damn file... I've tried shift del, no dice.. I've tried off line mode, and changing send messages immediately. It's like the file is stuck and locked in a send mode and no matter what I do I can't get rid of the file!!!

Any help to unstick this would be helpful... PS I've removed all the add on's to outlook as well to see if that was the case....

someone!?
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:08 AM
  • zazzn said:

Hey All,

I have outlook 2003, and i have a 17 MEG file in out outbox that's stuck...

I've tried the MDBVU32 tool and it won't delete the damn file... I've tried shift del, no dice.. I've tried off line mode, and changing send messages immediately. It's like the file is stuck and locked in a send mode and no matter what I do I can't get rid of the file!!!

Any help to unstick this would be helpful... PS I've removed all the add on's to outlook as well to see if that was the case....

someone!?

zazzn

I am in the same position as you. It started when I opened the message in the Outbox and changed the account which from message was sent. Now my message is REALLY stuck there. Like you, I tried almost everything I found and nothing worked yet. The MDBVU32 didn't work for me either, I got error message "UNABLE_ABORT_SUBMIT" anyways seems like we are stuck to spend a lot of time on that.
    I know a way to get rid of that BUT I don't want to get there because the last time I did it, it wrecked my contacts,appointments, email so bad I had to spend around 2 days fixing duplicates and everything.

But for those who are better that me with outlook perhaps they can do better. You have to create a new outlook.pst file.
    Here is how: With Vista, go to Start>Control Panel>User account and family>Mail. Now you should see three options go to Show Profile>Add then enter you email(s) information and you done for this.
    Now you have to copy your old outlook.pst file from the old problematic profile to the newer one. But first rename the new outlook.pst file to oulook.old just in case. This file is usually in folder :C:\Users\Yourname\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook or it can be found in Mail (like above) Data files>Open folder. Open the two folder and copy outlook.pst files and that should fix it.

I MAY MESS UP YOU OUTLOOK. BE CAREFUL DO NOT DELETE THIS OUTLOOK.PST FILE !!! Since this file contains all you email,contacts and more.

Hope this helps and not too confusing.

Regards

UPDATE: 6 mars 2009

Finally got it out (deleted) and did it by fouling around following these procedure at:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA011394111033.aspx

It is nothing new but it worked after many tries. Works for Office 2007 as well.
    Friday, February 20, 2009 2:40 PM
  • I downloaded a large (>3MB) zip file with mdb files in it. Outlook went into a loop of some kind and consumed so much of my cpu that it was not functioning. I had to kill it with Task Manager. Rebooting and disabling indexing services had no affect. As soon as Outlook was started again it would get into whatever was happening.

Uninstalling PGP 8.1 fixed the problem. I'd suggest uninstalling anything that attached a toolbar item.
    Friday, March 06, 2009 4:18 PM
  •  This worked.  Thanks so much for your help! 

-Chris
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 11:35 PM
  • We're in a coexistent stage with one exchange 2000 server and one exchange 2007 server.  Outlook 2003 users with mail boxes on the exchange 2007 server experience up to a 60 delay in receiving internal email over users with their mailboxes still on the exchange 2000 server.  Those that are still on Exchange 2000 receive internal email immediately.  Also the outbox continues to show mail waiting to be sent for about 60 after the message was sent for users who are on the Exchange 2007 server.  With either of these situation, clicking on a folder other than the currently selected folder OR clicking send receive will force the folders to update and either new mail will be displayed for those that are receiving or the outbox will no longer show mail waiting to be sent for the senders.

Does any one know of a solution for this?
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 10:40 PM
  • Thank you so much!!!! I just need to go as far as METHOD 2 and it worked!!! I'm a simple user that know 0 of all the technical terms and their meaning so your simple explanation was very helpful. I'm not a pc brainer but use my outlook a lot and, this tiny issue with a 70MB attachment stucked in my outbox was driving me nuts. Thanks again! 
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 7:31 PM
  • Try goining into your SMTP and checking that is OK.

Peter the pub
    • Proposed as answer by Amity Smith Sunday, May 24, 2009 5:44 PM
    Saturday, May 02, 2009 1:41 PM
  • do you have any answer for this one?? I have Outlook Express 6. Am able to open the site, messages download, when I click to read this is what I see:
    File Edit View Tools Message
    Reply Reply All Forward Print
    From
    Date
    To
    Subject
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's transparent in the box below, as it sits over the incoming emails, that's what I see, not the content of the incoming email.

this is so incredibly frustraiting for me and don't know how to fix, nor what to do. help
    • Proposed as answer by Amity Smith Sunday, May 24, 2009 5:44 PM
    Friday, May 22, 2009 4:18 AM
  • Client: Outlook 2007 / vista sp2  through server: imail vr 11 / server 2003

We have an isues that is similar, "mail is stuck in outbox" though in our case it has been sent and continues to resend until deleated. (risk of being a spammer)

We assumed an imail issues through if you have the same with exchange then outlook is in the firing line.

it is random on xp and vista platforms the only common item is outlook 2007, it started about 3 weeks ago, next stop is a patch rollback.

Microsoft should have more info on this. 
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 2:36 AM
  • Hi,

Does anyone know if Microsoft has a fix for this yet?
    I'm running Exchange 2007 with SP1 Rollup 8 and Vista computers with Outlook 2007 and have this problem.
    These "fixes" is only local problem solutions. If i have many users with this problem i cannot do this to every user.

If it is a local Outlook bug, well well....

Joachim Løe | Crayon AS | MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
    Monday, July 06, 2009 7:07 AM
  • The third one, i.e.,   "Export your contacts to an Excel sheet or csv-file and then import them again. Note that you set the mapping of the columns correctly when importing", seems to have worked for me.  Exported contacts to Excel sheet and reimported them.  Also took care of my weird duplicates, so, at least for me, this was the simplest solution and seemed to have worked.  I have Vista home, Outlook 2007 and MS Exchange Server 2007.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 4:41 AM
  • I have the same problema. Do you know the fix?
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 7:54 PM
  • This issue seems to have fixed in Rollup Update 9 for Exchange 2007 SP1. Refer the below MS article for update.

961124  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/961124/ ) Some messages are stuck in the Outbox folder or the Drafts folder on a computer that is running Exchange Server 2007 Service Pack 1.

Monday, September 28, 2009 9:54 AM
  • If you can, move the mail from outbox to drafts and close outlook. Make sure Outlook.exe is not still open in task manager.. Re-open outlook and move the mail from drafts back into outbox, open each email and click send. Works for me everytime, most times without having to close outlook so give it a try. I am using Outlook 2007 SP2 on Windows Server Standard 2003 SP2 in a Citrix environment, but it does the same in Windows 7 and XP when I use it locally offsite. Cheers
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 9:15 PM
  • Hi ,

May be Outlook in offline mode. To change it follow below steps
    Click on File tab on the top left side-> Work Offline. If it is checked please uncheck.
    Now restart Outlook and see
     if you can delete it (you can try this in combination with method 1).
    Don't forget to put Outlook back On-line again.And follow the steps
    given by Blackbear3
    "Start"
    "Settings"
    "Control Panel"
    "Mail"
    "Data Files"
    "E-mail Accounts"
    Double Clicked on "Microsoft Exchange Server"
    Removed the check from "Use Cached Exchange Mode"
    "Close" and Restart the Outlook,.
    NOw on the bottom right end side please confirm whether status is showing Online with Microsoft Exchange or not if not you need check that option.

Have a good day, Sachin Shetty| MCP|MCTS|MCITP-EMA|
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 12:54 PM
  • Hi Alan,

Please check on the bottom right end side please confirm whether status is showing Online with Microsoft Exchange or not if not you need check that option.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 12:54 PM
  • Hi ,

First double check the server name and all the settings you have entered correct or not then check on the bottom right end side please confirm whether status is showing Online with Microsoft Exchange or not if not you need check that option. Also by clicking File tab -> Confirm that work Offline should be unchecked.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 12:56 PM
  • Hi Mlwapw,

Pleas let us know, which solution from this post you have used. I am also in the same situation like you.

regards
    Faisal babu
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:04 AM
  • Temporary solution

There is a temporary solution. Restart Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology Service. It works until the problem starts again.

This really works. Exchange can send and receive email again.

Monday, November 30, 2009 1:58 PM
  • I used the method suggested ... simply went "offline" (file, work offline) ... deleted it ... and walla!!  It worked!  Thanks so much for the information!!
    Saturday, December 05, 2009 9:40 PM
  • hi pfear
                       how are you ? i also got a same problem like you, but i solve by reconfiguring firewall because of  firewall queues it make late to deliver mail.

Sunday, December 06, 2009 12:09 PM
  • Getting this problem.  With Outlook 2007 and Exchange Server.

Cant tell taht it was  sent.  And it is only one particular email.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 10:43 PM
  • In Outlook 2007 Go to file and from the drop down click work offline then go to the outbox and delete or right click and open the email then delete the attachment. This worked for me.
    • Proposed as answer by Nielsen103 Wednesday, December 16, 2009 1:07 AM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 1:06 AM
  • Try this:  When a sent email winds up in your outbox, tap on the send/receive button.  The email gets sent.  I check it out in the sent folder.  It works for me.

Tuesday, January 05, 2010 3:20 AM
  • Hi All,

I work in a larger environment, approx 1800 users 98% of which are outlook 2003 and with a small handfull on office 2007.  We are running exchange 2007 in a SCC on windows 2008 servers.  I have been working with Microsoft for the past 3 months or so on this mail stuck in outbox issue as well.  Im seeing this primarily on 2003 clients however there have been 2 people with 2007 that hav had this happen to them.

Here is what I am seeing:

All end users are using cached mode at the desktop.

Once is a while a user will notice that messages appear "stuck" in the outboox.  If the person closes outlook and re-launches it again, the messages seem to disapear, however they do NOT get sent, and do not appear in sent items.  (most users are oblivious that this is even happening, before word has gotten out)

If you log into webmail after this, you will see the messages still "stuck" in the outbox.  However from webmail, you cant do anyting with them.  If you click on one of these messages you get some generic error, that the message has been moved or exceeds size limits (cant remember exact error, however its bogus non the less)

To "fix" this issue, if you log into the persons mailbox using outlook in ONLINE mode, you can press the send/recieve button and all messages get delievered.  Or click on each message individually and click send.

Actually, closing/restarting outlook when noticing messages stuck in outbox generally "fixes" the issue (till if/it happens again).  However I recomend dragging the messages to the drafts folder first, this way you can avoid the whole online mode.

Been working with MS on this for a while, sending them logs and doing debug traces on client machines (as well as a bunch of other tests on the servers).  What they have leared from my debug traces, is that its seems to be some sort of process that is interfering with the configured message transports in outlook.  So the last trace I did with them, we got a list of current proccesses and their PIDs and they said they can hopefully pinpoint what exactly is causing this.

I feel your pain everyone,  upper management is getting fed up with this issue and are looking at me for answers that I just cant give them!  (grrr)  Hopefully with my post and all our brains together we can find something to this.
    Monday, February 01, 2010 5:12 PM
  • I have this problem and it's very irritating. People are commenting on all kinds of connection issues here that are nothing to do with it.

I get messages stuck in Outbox, whilst I can happily send other messages. I think the problem ones are all replies and forwards. This means to me that the problem relates to the structure of the previous inbound message.

I use Cached mail but have also noticed mails stuck in my on-line account.

I cannot believe after two years this thread is still going and Microsoft have not acknowledged it.

One tip I have for those looking at this is that if I put these messages in draft, they do not synch up with the online server. They seem unable to leave the local message store where they are created.

Some of the advice given works some of the time such as forwarding them out of there. None of that is reliable however and I feel a bit let down by this product and the whole support around it. I used to use GroupWise and whilst it may have been clunky it was solid and reliable.

I use Outlook 2007 and XP SP2

Very irritated indeed, and hoping for an answer.

Ade
    • Edited by AdeByrne Monday, February 08, 2010 4:05 PM added version info
    Monday, February 08, 2010 4:01 PM
  • I had the same problem - just moved from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2007 and using the contacts meant emails to them getting stuck in the Outbox.
    This worked for me - COPYING all contacts into another PST file and then MOVING them back - selecting update all.
    Well done MSW70!
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 2:11 PM
  • My problem is not contacts related. Some of the mails are from people not in my contacts, though they are all in the Outlook address book
    Friday, February 12, 2010 4:20 PM
  • Ok, as ridiculous as this sounds, this is what I just did and it worked.
    1. empty my deleted and sent items folders so that I would not confuse the emails I needed to send with old ones.
    2. cancelled send and receive so that I could delete the items stuck in my outbox
    3. the emails that I want to send are now in my deleted folder. Make sure you do not have the delete items upon closing outlook selection checked.
    4. go to file and click use offline.
    5. close outlook.
    6. reopen outlook.
    7. go to your deleted items folder and select all the items you wanted to send.
    8. right click and move them to your draft folder.
    9. go to your draft folder and select 1 email at a time, open it and send.
    10. wait for it to clear your outbox and open the second email in your draft folder and open it and send, repeat.
    • Proposed as answer by ABDBAH Monday, February 15, 2010 6:34 PM
    Monday, February 15, 2010 4:05 AM
  • Large file stucked in outbox and want to send it not delet it. The size is 21MB
    Every body is giving solution how to delet it but I need solution how to send it. I used some software to attach large files in outlook but they won't help on sending large file in outbox.
    I shall be gald if any one can help me just use outlook2007

Monday, February 15, 2010 6:38 PM
  • Ade,

We have this exact same issue here.  We have mostly Outlook 2003 Users with a few Outlook 2007 users.  We also have Exchange 2003 and in the process of migrating to Exchange 2007.  But we notice that even the users that were migrated to the Exchange 2007 server, still have the same problem with messages not sitting in the Outbox.

Any results from Microsoft?

Brian
    Friday, February 19, 2010 8:36 PM
  • Just to give you all an update:

I have been working with MS on this since October and have bounced arround from Outlook Engineers and Exchange Enineers.  The exchange guys seem to think at this point that this is an outlook issue.  We are doing some traces with the users as they expierence the issue.  We send test messages while users still have messages stuck in the outbox, pressing F9 to force send recieve etc.  The traces are showing that the mail is never making it to the mailbox server.  The engineer figures there is some process running that is interfering with outlook every so often that is blocking the request to the server.

When you press send on a mail message, that message is moved to the outbox and outlook contacts the mailbox server,  the mailbox server is triggered and loggs the even ,then contacts the hub transport and delivers the message, which moves it from the outbox to the sent items folder.

The traces are showing no evidence that mailbox server is being notified of mail needing to be sent from the client.

maybe an update or something?  who know...

Friday, February 19, 2010 8:51 PM
  • I know the mail is not getting to the server because if it was then it would be in the on-line account Outbox. I run caching mode and the mail never leaves the PC. However this does not mean to say it is a caching only problem as I have also seen mails stuck in my on-line account.

I am now building up quite a collection of things that are stuck there. I have just left them and sent separate copy to those recipients.

It's still very irritating!

Keep trying, thanks
    Monday, February 22, 2010 10:01 AM
  • When connected to Exchange, my e-mails would send normally, however any messages composed offline (and delay delivered) would not get stuck in the outbox. I suspect that the MS CRM 4.0 Add-in may be to blame since I am syncing quite a number of contacts, etc.  The following, however, did work for the problem messages:

"To send the affected messages, you'll need to open the message, then switch to a different folder before clicking Send on the message. Do not go open the Outbox until after the messages are sent."

Odd.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 2:25 PM
  • I also moved the e-mails out of the outbox and back, as recommended in some messages above. Not sure if that part is required or not.
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 2:26 PM
  • There's a lot of haphazard stuff on here like "I stood on one leg while pressing send and that worked for me". I've tried them all, and some of them work some of the time. There is a problem and Microsoft should bloomin well fix it!!

I'm getting a bit fed up of people chasing me for things I think I've sent
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 11:25 AM
  • AdeByrne , agreed.  The issue here is why is it getting stuck in the first place.  Sure I can get the message sent easily, but it requires intervention and the user to "notice" messages are stuck, which defeats the purpose of outlook.  once you press send you shouldnt need  to worry a bout it.

We are all cached mode here.  I have never seen this in online mode, unless I configure a profile of an effect user, then I see messages "stuck in the outbox"  However in this online config, if I press F9-send/receive the messages get delivered.

Also I'd be curious if you can confirm something for me.  next time you see this happen, before you do anything log into webmail as the user and see if you can do anything with the messages from OWA.  I cant, and get some error message that there is not enough space or something to that effect, which of course is bogus.

-Mel
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 5:00 PM

• OK so I dragged the mail from Outbox to Drafts and opened up OWA. I couldn't see it, but then I amended and saved it and could see it then. When I press send I get this message:

The action could not be completed because of a conflict with the original item. The conflict may have occurred when an existing item was updated on another computer or device. Open the item again and try making your changes. If the problem continues, contact technical support of your organization.

Great!!  (all of my blocked mails are associated with mail that has come in I think)

Following that though, I pressed send and it went. I'll be letting you know if this is a way of getting them to move albeit unsatisfactory.

This talk of conflict however gets me thinking about a folder that comes up in searches sometimes, "conflicts". I have never been able to find/open this folder?

Ade
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 6:12 PM
  • I can now say with some level of assurance that the web mail work-around from Mel actually works. Drag the mail into drafts and then send it from OWA

I hope that helps whoever is trying to fix this thing

Ade
    Friday, February 26, 2010 3:25 PM
  • Had a good 2 hour session with Microsoft on this today.  Person had left for the day, so we kept using the same machine to send messages that just got stuck in the outbox.  Had a webex session to show them everything.  Had an Outlook engineer and an Exchange Enineer looking at this at the same time, and they were baffled to say the least.  Ran some hard core traces on the exhange DB and their techs are looking into the results of the trace.

We got realy crafty.  Sent a test message with this machine, it got stuck.  Setup a new cached profile on my computer with the user, and the message did NOT show up in the outbox.  However the message still showed as being stuck on the original machine, and in OWA.  Sent a test message from the Newly configured PC.  recieved the message, however on the original PC that new test message appeared stuck in the outbox.  confused?  be surprised if you not :p

Im convinced this is an outlook bug in cached mode of some kind.  The techs didnt want to confirm or deny this but I know they are leaning towards outlook too.  They wanted to blame AV, but our AV (Trend Micro) we dont have any plugins installed for outlook and we have exclusions on all the clients for PST, OST actaully whole outlook install folder.  Be curious what all you people here are running for AV on the client machines.  We were a symantec shop, but disapearing file shares were kind of annoying with that product :)

-Mel
    Friday, February 26, 2010 9:41 PM
  • UPDATE

Some news, not really good or bad but progress non the less.  It appears that they have seen some erros in the traces I have provided from them that was done on the exchange servers.  It was a lot of hardcore mumbojumbo, something along the lines of incremental change sync errors.

They are going to continue to rip appart the trace and apparently quite a few more exchange techs are involved now.  I may have spoken to soon about this being an outlook only issue, if they can see the error on the exchange side of the trace.

Friday, February 26, 2010 10:54 PM
  • Mel,

To answer your question about AV.  We use Symatnec EndPoint Protection here.  I have disabled the Symantec Add-on in Outlook for the users that are affected and the issue still reappears.  Let us know when you get more information from Microsoft :).

Thanks,
    Brian
    Monday, March 01, 2010 6:37 PM
  • This was happening to me because in my mail was set up to "Use Cached Exchange Mode."  I resolved it by going through the following steps:

1. "Start"
      2. "Settings"
      3. "Control Panel"
      4. "Mail"
      5. "Data Files"
      6. "E-mail Accounts"
      7. Double Clicked on "Microsoft Exchange Server"
      8. Removed the check from "Use Cached Exchange Mode"
      9. "Close"
      10. "Close"
      11. Opened Outlook and the mail was gone from my Outlook and I was able to accept my meeting requests again!

I hope this helps!

I had the same problem that kept coming up.  This resolved it for me.  If the email is important, move them to your drafts folder before taking the system from cached mode or they will be lost.  Once you restart outlook you can then send the messages with out problem.

Anthony
    Tuesday, March 09, 2010 9:07 PM
  • My outlook 2007 in windows xp sp3 just stopped sending email later this morning. I was still receiving email the whole time. I have my own company and use it for both the outgoing SMTP and incoming pop3 email servers.  After a google search and trying many different "fixes" for over an hour that did not work. I sent an email request to my website hosting company.

They just got back to me with an answer that worked. My website email was working with no problems. They suggested that I change outgoing port 25 to 26. That did it. Send works now. I went to tools, account settings, double clicked on my email account name, more settings, advanced, and changed the outgoing server (SMTP) from 25 to 26.

It seems that Verizon Fios changed this port setting today to possible fight spam. They did not  letting me know. 

Hope this helps. 
    Thanks to all who help out by posting.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 2:08 AM
  • Mel,

Just wondering? What version of Ex2007 are you running? SP1 with a Rollup or SP2?

Thanks.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 5:19 PM
  • AnthonyI and Marc52. You need to read this thread in some detail to realise the things you are talking about are not relevant to it.

Mel - we are a Symantec shop without any fancy plugins, but out of interest I did completely uninstall it and still seemed to have the same problem. I concur that it is a caching problem as I have not heard of on-line users experiencing it. I also find for myself that it only occurs where the mail I am sending is related to one that I have received i.e. a reply or forward. Sometimes, forwarding the item in the Outbox can clear it.

The one safe way to clear it as I have reported before is to drag the item back into drafts, and open up OWA to send it from there. I now keep OWA open on my desktop specifically for this purpose until someone reports a fix on here.

Thanks

Friday, March 19, 2010 9:54 AM
  • Hi.  Did you ever find a solution to this?  I'm having the same problem...
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 6:49 PM
  • Any more updates on this issue.  I'm following you as it seems EXACTLY like the issue I am having.

Thanks.

Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:18 PM
  • If yes, follow the below procedure to delete the stuck e-mail:
    1. Exit the Outlook.
    2. click on the Start button and click on the Run option.
    3. In the Run window, enter "outlook /safe" in the Open box.
    4. Delete the mails in the Outbox.

To get more instructions on this refer: http://www.omnitechsupport.com/forum/topic/631/outloock-mail-is-stuck/

Monday, March 29, 2010 5:56 AM
  • I don't mean to be rude but I'd like to ask Sals Omni where on earth they get the idea that this is about mail getting stuck in the Outbox such that we cannot delete it!?

This problem and thread are frustrating enough without people not bothering to read it properly and putting up answers to problems that do not exist, not here at any rate.

Regards 

Monday, March 29, 2010 6:24 PM
  • I don't mean to be rude but I'd like to ask Sals Omni where on earth they get the idea that this is about mail getting stuck in the Outbox such that we cannot delete it!?

This problem and thread are frustrating enough without people not bothering to read it properly and putting up answers to problems that do not exist, not here at any rate.

Regards 

Agreed AdeByrn.  Too many people are put useless answers in here that have no relationship with our issue.

Our issue is the following:

- Items get stuck in the Outbox in Outlook 2003 (even Outlook 2007) using Exchange Server Enviroment.  We are not using a SMTP Server like Verzion or Earthlink.

- One way to clear the OutBox and have the messages send is to end the messages in OWA or Take Outlook 2003 out of Cached Exchange Mode.

Mel_Vin,

Any update from Microsoft Support?

Monday, April 05, 2010 2:02 PM
  • Hi All,

No real update yet.  MS is completly baffled on this one.  The problem is I work in a large environment and word has gotten out on how to "deal" with this issue when the user expiriences it. (moving to drafts folder and restarting outlook) so Im at thte mercy of when people call me...

The last conversation I had with them, they want me to run whats called an IDNA trace.  I have done this in the past on the workstations, but this time they want me to run it on the mailbox servers.

Part of me wants to blame outlook.  Its like outlook cant talk back to exchange to tell it:  hey, I have a message in my outbox that I need you to send.  However outlook can still receive mail during this state.  MS has been careful not to 100% agree with me on this, not wanting to rule out anything at this point...

My setup here:

All our servers are are running exchagne 2007 ENT x64  on windows 2008 ENT x64 servers.  We have 2 "front end" servers running both the CAS and HUB roles on each (so 2 CAS and 2 HUBS).  We then have the Mailbox server role running on 2 Windows clustered servers, running Single Copy Cluster with shared storage on an Equal logic iSCSI San.  1 server is active the other is passive.  (actually we are running 2 clustered mailbox servers, 2 in each cluster for 4 servers total all pointing to the same SAN for storage)  Only the mailbox server role can be run on a Windows Cluster as Im sure you know.  We decided to run 2 clusters for geographic reasons.  Eastern Cities, on East Cluster, Western cities on the west cluster.  This way we can take advantage of time zones for updates/backups/maintenance.  Pretty sweet high end setup, cept for the mail getting stuck part ;)

We are running Trend micro for AV on the servers (and clients) with all exceptions put in.  We use  Cisco's IronPorts for our SPAM/Virus filtering instead of  MS's EdgeTransport Role.

And I have to agree with the last few posters.  The issue here is not how to remove these messages from outbox.  The issue here is why the ____ are these message getting stuck in the outbox in the first place, WHY ARE THEY NOT GETTING SENT??  If you close outlook these messages disapear, not getting sent.  Also dont tell me to turn off cached mode, we chose to run cached mode for a reason, we have offices all across the country that ultimatley come back here to HQ for their mail.  This isnt some small mom and pop shop, we are a larger organization spanning many hub sites, and this is exactly WHY cached mode was invented...

Monday, April 05, 2010 4:05 PM
  • The reality of this problem is that it is multi-faceted i.e. many variables and that is why changing one thing might appear to fix it, or indeed do nothing when in fact it is part of the answer. There are many slightly different symptoms, for example, my mail stuck in Outbox doesn't disappear when I close Outlook. Sometimes I get warned that there is unsent mail in there when I close, but sometimes not.

As I have said before, I find that this happens (I am not sure if exclusively) to mail where I am forwarding or replying to mail. The intended recipients are usually in my company address book but not necessarily in my contacts.

One other aspect, and the reason for the post, is that sometimes if I'm off line and peer into the Outbox, the mail in there will not go the next time I connect. This exhibits all the same properties as the other stuck mail, except it will move if I "forward" it. This has been proposed as a fix by previous posters, and I propose that it is only a fix for this type of stuck item.

Looking forward to the next version of Outlook/Exchange where I hope this is fixed for good and I have some new bugs to deal with!

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 9:50 AM
  • Mel_Vin,

Are you certain the email(s) stuck in the Outlook outbox were not sent?  We have a similar Exchange structure (4 Ex2K7 boxes - two combined HT/CAS and two mailbox in CCR) and we also use Symantec Enterprise Vault for email archiving.  I've found that each email that is sitting in the outbox for a user was indeed already sent.  I have not checked 100% of them, just a spot check for various users as the issue has come up.  I've verified they were sent via the Enterprise Vault journal mailbox.  If the item was not actually sent, it woudn't be archived in the journal mailbox but that is not the case.

So far, in our environment these stuck emails have been safe to delete.  I would think the only time you find one of the stuck items that wasn't sent was if the build up of server-side outbox items cause the user to exceed their mailbox quota.  Even then, it would only be items in the outbox that were after they exceeded their quota.

We are also still looking for answers.  You're absolutely right about cached mode - there is a reason it is enabled in our organizations so disabling it is NOT an answer.

Thursday, April 08, 2010 6:30 PM
  • Mel_Vin,

Are you certain the email(s) stuck in the Outlook outbox were not sent?  We have a similar Exchange structure (4 Ex2K7 boxes - two combined HT/CAS and two mailbox in CCR) and we also use Symantec Enterprise Vault for email archiving.  I've found that each email that is sitting in the outbox for a user was indeed already sent.  I have not checked 100% of them, just a spot check for various users as the issue has come up.  I've verified they were sent via the Enterprise Vault journal mailbox.  If the item was not actually sent, it woudn't be archived in the journal mailbox but that is not the case.

So far, in our environment these stuck emails have been safe to delete.  I would think the only time you find one of the stuck items that wasn't sent was if the build up of server-side outbox items cause the user to exceed their mailbox quota.  Even then, it would only be items in the outbox that were after they exceeded their quota.

We are also still looking for answers.  You're absolutely right about cached mode - there is a reason it is enabled in our organizations so disabling it is NOT an answer.

Thursday, April 08, 2010 6:30 PM
  • In my case, i have changed SMTP port from 25 to 26 and now i able to send out emails and no emails stucks in Outbox!! Its 100% works. The reason is because we from Malaysia which using Telekom Malaysia (ISP) blocked SMTP port 25. Hence those under this ISP will need set to port 26 to be enable to send the emails out.

Hope this will help out there for some people that face similar issue. Take note that SMTP can be either 25 or 26 depends on how your ISP configured in their mail server.

Thanks

kogula14@yahoo.com

Thursday, April 22, 2010 12:43 PM
  • Yet another person who has not bothered to read the problem before posting a "solution"
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 4:24 PM
  • In my case I am sure the mail has not gone. I know a)it is not in sent mail and b) it has not arrived
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 4:25 PM
  • Agreed with AdeByrn.  Same here as what he said.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 1:31 PM
  • Hi All,

No in my case the message is "stuck" and not delivered, not in my sent items, and not recieved by the individual  intended to recieve the message.  It actually recently just happened to me, I had yet to get this issue myself.  I was loggin in form home on the weekened to grab something from a subfolder within my outbox.  I logged into OWA, and low and be hold there is a message from back in March was in my outbox...

I think the disconnect here for most people (especially the whole SMTP port from 25 to 26) is people are using POP and not MAPI to get their messages, yet you would think when you mention CACHED MODE people would get a clue on what your talking about...Thanks for trying, but not the issue.

I have deffinatly turned some heads over at Microsoft.  They are going back looking at their source code with this, and I may have the whole Exchagne team looking at this now, not just a few engineers.  The reason this is taking as long as it is, is the fact we can reproduce this issue, plus my user community is figuring out how to "deal" with this and are sending the messages with the work arround of moving to the drafts folder and restarting outlook.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 1:45 PM
  • sorry meant to say grab a message from a subfolder in my inbox, not outbox :)  either way thats when I noticed I had something in my outbox from a month ago....
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 1:47 PM
  • This is exactly the problem we are having, using Outlook 2007. The email appears to always be sent but there are copies left in the Outbox. Since the user is working in cached mode (which I'm also not willing to turn off) they can't see the emails in the Outbox or the correct size of their mailbox. When they either get notified that they are close to the mailbox size limit or their mail quits sending they contact me. Once I clean out their Outbox (which I've seen over 200M in the Outbox) mailbox size drops and is good for a while. I've recreated profiles and checked for add-ins, neither has helped. Even after cleaning out the copies in the Outbox it usually just starts filling up again with copies of sent email. Have you found any solution? I've only seen this happening on people with larger mailboxes. So, I have a theory that when they get a notification that they are close to mailbox size limit it somehow triggers copies to be saved.

Any help would be great!

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4:41 PM
  • Please read this carefully. This thread is not about copies in the Outbox. This thread is about certain mail that will not leave the client and gets stuck in the Outbox.

I have a fair amount of evidence on this now, and hope Mel_Vin is getting a result with MS.

Points which are now quite clear to me (I have said this before sorry but now backed up by more experience):

1. I only get the problem from mail where I am replying or forwarding a mail from my internal mail system

2. If I happen to reply to an external mail while I have the Outbox open, it also does not go. In fact it looks like exactly the same thing, except if I drag it into Drafts and then send it again, it goes. For my true problem (in 1) I have to drag it into drafts, go to OWA and send it from there.

This is a very clear pattern for me and one I hope will enable those working on it to gain some understanding.

Thursday, April 29, 2010 2:01 PM
  • I am able to delete my e-mail on webmail. There isn;t any boxes on the left side to do so. Can anyone help me?
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 4:25 PM
  • Solution!

Hello everyone. I completely empathize with you all as this same predicament was driving me nuts, as I tried in vain all solutions found scoured from Google regarding this Outlook 2007 problem. Outlook is already a messy design as it is, but the seriousness of email getting stuck in limbo in the Outbox is just another nail in its long overdue coffin destined for burial.

The only thing that worked for me was to:

1. Drag and drop any of the unsent email messages from the Outbox into your Drafts folder
    2. Tools > Account Settings > Change > More Settings > Advanced
    3. Change the Outgoing server (SMTP) from 25 to 587
    4. Then increase the Server Timeouts to 7 minutes 30 seconds
    5. Click OK > Next > Finish > Close then Exit and Restart Outlook 2007
    6. Once it's restarted d-click/open the unsent message(s) you still have in your Draft folder and click Send (one by one of course)
    7. Exasperating problem resolved!

The reason this seems to work where everything else failed is apparently due that some ISP's can block the Outgoing server port 25.
    By changing to another Port number (alas, check with your ISP if 587 doesn't work) it does the trick.

BTW, this still doesn't absolve Microsoft from allowing such a frustratingly inconvenient glitch into the released version of a very popular software program millions depend upon daily. At the very least MS, pay attention to all the similar complaints and hastily provide a simple fix for easy download, while simultaneously eliminating the bug from future releases, etc.

Too logical perhaps? Or another convenient excuse to push a newer Office upon us all eventually anyway...whether we need it or not...

Best of luck!

Sunday, May 02, 2010 7:48 AM
  • I had the problem of mail getting stuck in my outbox and not being able to be sent. I did the following and it worked.

From reading around the subject i heard that sometimes things get mixed up. So I found the folder which was inside my user / appdata / local / microsoft / windows mail / local folders / outbox /

I then renamed outbox to outboxqqq. When I restarted windows mail it recreated the outbox with just empty headers to the mails in outboxqqq. Outboxqqq contained the headers and the mails which had not been sent. 

I deleted all the headers from the new outbox and that seemed to clear up the problem. From explorer I double clicked on the eml files which had not been sent and forwarded them to the recipients. When I clicked on send they left the new outbox and were sent and disappeared from the outbox.

I then deleted the outboxqqq folder. End of problem.

Hope this helps anyone who is having this problem.

Sunday, May 02, 2010 5:02 PM
  • Thanks, when you say problem solved, I presume you mean for that batch of e-mails? I would assume that it will happen again and you will have to repeat the whole process?

If so, though this might work (I haven't had cause to try it yet) then actually it seems like more bother than the OWA fix which seems to reliably work.

We still require a proper fix for this of course and not work arounds.

I can't see why cosmicdragon thinks this is some kind of ISP problem. It clearly isn't!

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 10:40 PM
  • I stumbled on this thread through a google search as I'm having the same issues with the owner of the company's email. 

Unfortunately, we are not an Exchange environment, but, I thought I'd let you know that we too are seeing this problem using Outlook 2003, XP SP3.  If anything, perhaps this tidbit can help rule out any question of whether it's an Exchange issue.  This issue is appearing in non-Exchange environments.

It's also quite disappointing to see how far back this thread goes and see no real resolution for the majority of you. 

Friday, May 07, 2010 2:24 PM
  • Update from MS!!!

OK first off, I really wish PEOPLE WOULD READ THE WHOLE THREAD!  This is ONLY for people using outlook in an MICROSOFT EXCHANGE ENVIRONMENT WITH MAPI CONNECTIONS TO THE SERVER!  honestly stop posting solutions for using bloody POP and SMTP configurations.

/rant

Ok for the rest of us who know what we are dealing with here.  So its positive news (no sulution yet).  So MS believes this is a...wait for it.....CLIENT issue (so problem lies with outlook)  And here is the layman term of what is going on.  So you have your outlook profile, configured for MAPI in cached mode to your exchange server.  Each time outlook is started, it establishes a session with exchange, does some handshake and says hey, Im a cached mode client.  Exchange at that point will know what and how to deal with the messages.  Now with all the traces and dumps I have provided MS, they have determined for some strange reason Outlook switches from Cached mode to ONLINE mode (even though if you check your config it would still say cached).  A better way to put it would be it changes its behaviour from cached mode to online mode on the fly.  Since the original session was determined that outlook is in cached mode and it takes it upon itself to behave differently for reasons unknow, outlook then flags the messages to be sent differently and the server is oblivious to it...

Well thats the short of it.  So MS is asking me if there are any common denominators to this equiation.  The one thing they keep asking me is about delegates in outlook, as there have been known issues in the past with that, or more than one mailbox associated with a single outlook profile.  Anyone here can comment your expirences??

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:18 PM
  • Firstly I reiterate Mel_Vin's frustration. If you have not read this thread and have some half baked idea about what the solution is, prepare for a pretty short response from here - it used to be called flaming I think. You have been flamed!

I do delegate access to my e-mail and diary. Is there a suggestion from MS that this is the problem?

Thanks

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 10:25 PM
  • they are still kind of somewhat scratching their heads on this.  I seem to have a mixed bag here where people are delegates and other are not.  I personally finally had this issue occur to me once already, and have not no delegates.  I do however have multiple mailboxes.

The kicker is that they want to enable outlook logging on the clients.  But due to the randomness of this issue, and that it may happend to someone only once, its hard who and when to turn on logging.  And the problem is to enable outlook logging, requires a restart.  But if you are experiencing the issue and restart, well the problem goes away.  Leaving logging enabled for an extended ammount of time seriously bogs down your computer.  We tried that on a few people here in our dept and they said the performance was brutal.  (and our machines arent half bad, 4GB ram dual core processors)

The good news is that they have come to agreement and understanding of what is going on.  Now its a matter of why the ____ is it doing it.  So the efforts now are reviewing all of the outlook code, and nearly every resource is apparently on it.  I betcha is some stupid update somewhere...

heres hoping anyway.  We might be getting close!

Thursday, May 13, 2010 8:47 PM
  • I wouldn't mind turning on the logging but some weird stuff happening here. My mail cache account suddenly failed and forced me to rebuild it. This is annoying as all favourite e-mail addresses now missing etc. One odd thing is it doesn't now seem to remember where I've dragged folders into my favourite folders section.

Anyway, I swear I have not had the stucky problem now in a couple of weeks since that happened. I'm waiting though!

Thursday, May 13, 2010 9:57 PM
  • Hi,

I am having the same issue with stuck emails in outlook 2007 in exchnage 2007 enviroment. Which happen intermittenly.

1 thing I noticed that the stuck email had date:none when ever these date:none appear the email won't leave the outbox. Current workaround for us is to copy the stuck email content to a new email and it will be able to be sent and the stuck email messages can be deleted

Saturday, May 15, 2010 5:42 AM
  • sounds like there is an offline profile setup in your email client.
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 7:47 AM
  • This isn't just a problem with those using Exchange. I have a user with this problem and she is using a POP3 connection. I recreated her profile and that did work but the problem has resurfaced again. Its only with sending email from Outlook, she can receive messages in the mailbox with no problem. She can also send messages from the web version of her pop3 account with no issue either. I was hoping a service pack might be the fix and was going to check to see if she had the latest one installed, but from reading here, that doesnt appear to be the solution. I'm not sure what else to check/try here...
    Monday, May 17, 2010 1:30 PM
  • Natasha83,

That maybe so, but the original poster of this thread was specifically relaying his issue for MAPI/Exchagne.  I have seen POP issues similar but NOT the same as this, which is iritating cause things get lost in this thread.  This is an outlook issue by the looks of it, and Im willing to bet some sort of update/patch was pushed out that broke outlook.

Monday, May 17, 2010 2:54 PM
  • Mel,

Keep us updated.  So far the only real fix for us here is to install Outlook 2007 (which we then have to install Word 2007 for Auto Correct to work in Outlook).  All the users that I have installed Outlook 2007 never have the issue again.

I'd rather all of my users be back to Outlook 2003, easier to support one platform.

Brian

Monday, May 17, 2010 3:54 PM
  • I have this problem and it's with Outlook 2007 so that's not necessarily a way out! Since my mail account crashed and rebuilt itself it has been ok though I'm not reading too much into that due to the intermittent nature of this problem.
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 3:38 PM
  • Hi,

I'm in a similar situation to yourself. We have Exchange 2007 SP2 back end with Outlook 2007 clients (various service packs and OS revisions) all in cached mode.

One option that I have looking at is to switch the way Outlook 2007 syncs the SendItems and Outbox, so that it operates in a similar manner to Outlook 2003 cached mode. (This is a short term fix we can deploy via group policy).

In Outlook 2003/2007 together with an Exchange 2003 mailbox, Outlook performs the following actions when you send a message in cached mode:

1. Outlook sends the message (This is the first upload to Exchange).
    2. Outlook puts a copy of that message in your local (.ost) Sent Items folder.
    3. Outlook synchronizes the Sent Items folder with Exchange (This is the second upload to Exchange).

However, in Outlook 2007 together with an Exchange 2007 mailbox , Outlook uses a different sending process, and the message is only uploaded one time to the Exchange server.

If you configure the registry to (SendOne = 0), this new Outlook 2007 functionality is disabled. In this case, Outlook reverts to the earlier version behavior of uploading sent messages two times to Exchange.

1. Locate (or perhaps add) and then right-click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Cached Mode
    2. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
    3. Type SendOne, and then press ENTER.
    4. Right-click SendOne, and then click Modify.
    5. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
    6. On the File menu, click Exit to exit Registry Editor.

A MSI is available that encapsulate the above registry change at

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9704066

(this basically makes the registry change for yourself).

The longer term solution is to work with MS to identify a fix using the standard and network efficient Outlook 2007 Sync rather than using older techniques.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 3:49 PM
  • This probably won't help the majority of you but I wanted to post what the resolution to my problem ended up being. My user works from home and so the problem ended up being with her ISP provider, RCN. Her outgoing port was set to 465 in Outlook, but the email provider uses 25 and doesn't allow 465. She was originally set to 465 (by another tech on my team) because 25 wouldn't work at all. Turns out with RCN, they block outgoing email so you have to send via their smtp server. I configured Outlook with their smtp server info and her account with them and all is working now.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 4:27 PM
  • We have noticed the issue today and have found that the issue is related to TrackIT which is an IT Ticket Logging Software. We are using a relatively old version 6.5 (dated 2004) and have recently upgraded from Exchange 2003 to 2007.

The problem happens when clicking Notify Requestor and modifying the email. Now modification of the email is the key to the issue for us since the original version is getting stuck in the outbox whereas the modified email is acutally getting sent to the recipient.

- Jason

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 9:57 PM
  • In our case the emails would get stuck in the outbox with the sent date "NONE".  In certain cases the sent changed to none while we watched the outbox.  Outlook had been set to "not" send immediately if this setting was enabled it did not happen. For our case we wanted the mail not to go when we clicked send on the email so we went further on in the investigation. We also noticed this would only happen if you selected the outbox before hitting send and receive. After some more time we disabled all add-ons and the problem didn't occur with send immediately turned off. One by one we enabled the add-ons and after a time we found that one add-on called categorize plus from Veranosoft was causing the problem . With this disabled outlook worked as normal and didn't get stuck.

The add-on only caused the problem if the option for send immediately was turned off. It also didn't happen unless you selected the outbox before hitting "send and receive".  Check the settings I outlined above and disable add-ons as I have also explained.

Regards

Billy

Friday, June 04, 2010 11:40 AM
  • Natasha83,

Please do not post about SMTP Port issues.  As stated before, we are talking about MAPI/Exchange enviroment.  We want to keep this thread on track.  Please comment in the apporiate threads, not this one. 

Waiting for Mel to have further information from Microsoft. Come on Microsoft, resolve this issue.

Friday, June 04, 2010 3:20 PM
  • I have the same problem in my organisation.

Outlook 2007 client in CEM going to an Exchange 2007 server.

When the client sends an email it goes to the Outbox as normal then disappears as normal and goes to sent. If the user logs into his OWA the email, which HAS been sent, is also sitting in the Outbox. The Outbox in Outlook says it is empty. If I switch CEM off on the client, hey presto all of the items that are sitting in the Outbox in OWA appear in Outlook.

I got him to log onto a completly different machine, he setup a new domain profile, loaded down his OST and when he sends from this machine there is no problem, so I agree I don't think this is an exchange issue. It is a local, machine specific Outlook issue.

I have uninstalled Office 2007. Cleared all Office 12reg keys. Removed all references to Office 12 from App Data and Local Settings on the profile. I re-installed and the problem was still there. So that leads me to believe this is a problem with something interfering with the operation of Outlook. I uninstalled my AV and tried that. Same problem. I uninstalled Office 2007 again without the AV on in case there was any residual processes interfering. Still the same.

This behaviour does not occur if mail is sent when Outlook is not in cached mode.

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 3:28 PM
  • Just an FYI,

I joined just to give my two cents worth.

I am also having this issue. I currently have a mix of Outlook 2003 and 2007 clients with an Exchange 2010 Rollup 3 server. It happens on occasion and indeed the emails are sent, but sometimes stay in the outbox. It's more of a PITA, then anything but it's seems to happen to the CEO the most, which is where my headache comes from.

I have tried everything, and it only happens with the OL2007 clients no matter what SP or updates have been applied. It is also happening on the TS server but different users daily. I ahve tried Offline on/off no difference.

Hopefully a fix will be soon.

• Edited by beznich Thursday, June 17, 2010 3:33 PM Cause I can't speel for $*&#
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 3:31 PM
  • same problem here, but with outlook 2007 only.

it happens only if I open outbox with an email still waiting to be sent, and only with the first email of the list, if I have more than one: this is why if I select "send immediately" it works.

....Microsooooft....

Friday, June 25, 2010 6:32 PM
  • Mel_VIN Any update from Microsoft of diagnosing the fault.. i to have an issue with mails being "stuck" in the outbox and its consuming way too much time and effort trying to resolve.
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:29 AM
  • FWIW:  I have been using Outlook 2007 client in NON cached mode for at least a year without issue.  Yesterday (July 22, 2010), I sent an e-mail with multiple "to:" recipients but later on was shocked to find it was sitting in the Outbox.  Manual send/receive didn't seem to do anything with it.  I also could not delete, move to folder, etc.  In the meantime, Outlook continued to send/receive/process/filter other e-mail just fine.  However, I grew increasingly annoyed by the sight of a bolded "Outbox (1)" in my folder list.

I tried the suggestion of switching my account to cached mode and then back to NON cached mode but that did not fix - "Outbox (1)" was still nagging at me.

With my account configured as NON cached I tried the suggestion of: starting Outlook in safe mode, deleting the offending mail from the outbox, and then restarting outlook as normal.  It worked - my Outbox is now empty!

Thursday, July 22, 2010 3:26 PM
  • Did anybody try to monitor the mailboxes with "get-mailbox | get-mailboxfolderstatistics -folderscope outbox -IncludeOldestAndNewestItems" and get an idea about number  of affected users or data/time of newst items gettings stuck in users outboxes?

Please note, that Outbox folder can also contain views, so it is possible, that this commandlet shows items, which cannot be seen in OWA.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 4:55 PM
  • Y'all may not be interested to hear this but it may be of some relevance. I rebuilt my machine a while back and did a complete clean install of Windows 7 N Professional and Outlook 2007.

I have not seen the Ourbox problem since.

I will still be checking here to see progress with 'the problem' however

Cheers

Ade

• Proposed as answer by JLib007 Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:04 PM
    Monday, July 26, 2010 9:45 AM
  • Sorry for the mis-click, not usually on these forums. Anyway, i stumbled upon this problem this morning and at first thought it was caused by anti-virus, then possibly an add-in to Outlook.

After lots of banging my head against the wall and trolling through forums I checked under the arrow for Send/Receive and went to "Define Send/Receive Groups". In my case I unchecked the box at the top that says "include the selected account in this group" and bam, all emails that had been stuck were unstuck and mail stopped hanging in the Outbox for more than the required few seconds.

I hope this helps some of you out there.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:09 PM
  • I work in a large corporate envoirment and we just upgrade to MSO-07.  I have finding a few of my users having this issue.  The only way I knew it was happening, was they were getting messages from Exchange Server that their Mailboxes were getting full.  We have a mailbox size quota, so users get msg's when their box is full.  Here is what I did to no avail. 1.  Rebuild their accounts, deleted the profiles and created new ones.  NOPE.  still happened.  2.  Used the repair utility in Control panel/Mail (we use XP os still), and Nope, didn't fix it.  Deleted the .ost file and all files except the .pst files and let Outlook create an entire new profile, including a new Windows profile. Even uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook/Office.  Used the repair option in the Add-removed applications for Office and nothing worked.  What did happen was interesting.  While the User's account on the local machine was enabled to work in Offline Mode, the Outbox was empty.   When I would right click on the file size in the folder list under properties, it would show it was too big, but it wouldn't let me see where.  It showed the Outbox with all these files, but when just looking at it, it was empty.  I think it's important to understand the function and meaning of the Offline mode, or Cached Mode.  It's so we can work in Outlook just like we were connected to the server and a file called the .ost file, will hold all those emails, until connected to the Exchange Server, either thru LAN, VPN, WAN, Internet HTTP -  Of couse, what happens, is when a person opens Outlook normally, they get prompted for their username, password and domain credentials before it opens.  Outlook is communicating directly to the Server and not the .ost file and then displaying it. When working with the "Offline Mode or Cached mode" enabled, it builds a file .ost and stores all our Mailbox items except personal folder items, .pst and personal address book, .pab files.  It holds a mirrored copy of the Server folder list. This file must be updated before Outlook will even function after opening, so again, it will look for a connection first, and then if it doesn't find one, it will just hold any changes until a connection with a server is made.  It will cached your network credentials, and log into the Exhange server on behalf of the user, so it's seemless, etc.  These are my heavy feild users who work very heavy offline.  We use vpn, but with OL 07, and the Http feature built in, my field folk, don't have to be on VPN, so they work from hot spots.  But when the offline mode was disabled, the files located in the Outbox folder appeared.  When enabled, it shows that there was nothing there.  some of them had been sent and some had to be resent.  Obviously, they were not happy, because some of these users, this had been building for some time.  We deleted the files,  and left the offline mode off.  Allowed the to work directly to the server, but then they didnt' like it, because they wanted to ability to work in outlook and compose emails, etc while off the internet as well.  I used the scanost.exe and scanpst.exe files in the Office12 folder as well and that worked for a bit.  I've only had 2 users who are still having issues, but only because they send large attachments.  I'm waiting for my Exchange admins to run the mailbox repair utility on their folders, or if have to delete their account from Exchange or the domain and create new ones.  But I agree it's Outlook causing the issue, and it has to do with how it's handling the .ost folders, and it's configuration.  It has to do with the .ost file, it's some way that OL is reading or caching that file.  How i am still working on it.  Here is a good tool to work in it.  C:\program files\Office\Office12\scanost.exe.  Running that has helped.  If possible close outlook and log off and into the local admin account and delete the .ost file if the scanost file doesn't fix it.  So far, that is helping the most.  If you have any emails needing to be send, just create a new personal folder and store them in that before deleteing the .ost file.  That would be located in c:\documents and settings\%your username%\local settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook. Don't delete any .pst or .pab.   Now if you have created a new profile and it's a crapper when we loose that nice feature of when we start an email and get the little drop down.   That is an easy fix.  Go to Start, Settings, Mail, Profiles.  After the .ost file is deleted, and the .pst. pab files are saved, in the Profiles window, delete any profiles.  Reboot.  Go back to Start, settings, CP, Mail, Profiles, Create a new one.  name it what you want.  After that's done and your personal folders are mapped back into your folder list, go to the following location or search for the following folder.  %.nk2  It will be located in C:\documents and settings\%your username\local settings\application data\Microsoft\office\Outlook.  Right click and rename it the name of your new profile, making sure you leave it %name%.nk2   Now you'll get your little list back when you start a new message.   Use this site http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831053/en-us   to help figure out what is happening between the server and client.  Turning offline and online, modes doesn't seem to be a permanent fix.
    • Edited by ScottW225 Monday, August 02, 2010 4:26 PM forgot something
    Monday, August 02, 2010 4:09 PM
  • Hi Mel, have you had a solution from MS yet?

We're having the same/similar issue. Outlook 2007 with Exchange 2007, only effects cached mode users. Basically, our messages are being sent (for the most part, although some users are prevented from sending mail because they have so many messages in their outbox that they go over their limit).

We have logged this with MS only to get a response about it being the fault of the user! They came back with a pretty bizarre scenario which would cause it (copying a mail from your sent items to the sent items in a pst, then logging into OWA shows the message still in Outbox). Presumably this would occur if you copied the message from your Sent items to a pst so quickly that Outlook isn't able to sync the sent item back to Exchange. I don't have a problem with that as I'm sure that is one possible cause, however I have 2 problems with it:

1. Users would have to copy it to their pst pretty quickly so is quite unlikely to actually happen.

2. Many of our users don't have a pst. It's happened to me and I never use pst's.

MS did suggest a 'fix', in reality it's just a workaround. The suggestion was to change the way Outlook syncs with Exchange to use the 2003 method by editing the registry. However, this is not a fix and if we do implement this what's the point of upgrading to 2007?

So, I'm about to go back to MS to ask them to come back with a proper answer, I'll send them the link to this thread too. The fact that this has been going on for 3 1/2 years though doesn't look good. I also understand Outlook 2010 has a similar problem (although I've not been able to verify that).

Thursday, August 12, 2010 3:06 PM
  • I've found just deleting the Nk2 file works.  I had a similar problem and this seemed to work.
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 1:12 PM
  • Assuming, that you are all talking about different problem, whereas the problem I am talking about only *some* messages getting stuck throughout the day for some users.
    Imagine user A who happily sends 30mails to various other users, also some mails go to user B.

Only one or two mails sent to user B get stuck and are not transported. They leave the Outbox in Outlook and are only visible through the OWA outbox, but in fact never get to the recipient.

Also, anybody tried  "get-mailbox | get-mailboxfolderstatistics -folderscope outbox -IncludeOldestAndNewestItems" and get an idea about number  of affected users or data/time of newst items gettings stuck in users outboxes?

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 6:46 PM
  • I've been having exactly the same problem.  The only way I found to get around it is to select all > copy, then start a new email, > paste, and send it as a new mailing.  I do get rid of this problem in cleaning out some of the garbage.  Try IObit - Advanced System Care, and if you can get the free versions IObit - Security 360Norton 360, or a good security suite  also cleans out most of these bugs.  After running through the clean ups, most of the time I can get it to go out, but sometimes even this is not enough.  I think when you restart, you are disenguaging the bugs that prevent it from going out, and cleaning up the bugs is more thourough, but even cleaning might not get the right bug out.
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:47 PM
  • I've been having exactly the same problem.  The only way I found to get around it is to select all > copy, then start a new email, > paste, and send it as a new mailing.  I do get rid of this problem in cleaning out some of the garbage.  Try IObit - Advanced System Care, and if you can get the free versions IObit - Security 360Norton 360, or a good security suite  also cleans out most of these bugs.  After running through the clean ups, most of the time I can get it to go out, but sometimes even this is not enough.  I think when you restart, you are disenguaging the bugs that prevent it from going out, and cleaning up the bugs is more thourough, but even cleaning might not get the right bug out.
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:48 PM
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:48 PM
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:49 PM
  • Outlook and Word are two different mail programs.  Look through your Word settings to see where, or if they are saving a copy, and where it is saved to.  It wouldn't go to Outlook because it is not an Outlook mail.
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:52 PM
  • The problem with Outlook and more appropriately OL2007 is they require a healthy workstation to perform properly.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940226

Unfortunately, most Corporations are now running their helpdesks at 400 or 500 to 1 ratios which doesn't provide time to properly maintain a system.  They are keeping the machines longer and not purchasing nor prescribing regular maintenance and use a reimgae as opposed to a clean up to resolve performance issues.  Most issues with Windows, not only Office, can be resolved by exhaustively cleaining the machine and reverting back to the old days of Support 101.  In most cases where I determine that an email related issue is local to the PC and not because of Exchange corruption, these steps typically do the trick.

·         defrag hard drive

·         check that the user  isn't taxing the machine too heavily (CPU, Memory) when this occurs.  Too many open apps or system taxing applications.

·         clean all .tmp files from %temp%.

·         clean all temporary internet files from internet explorer.

·         create new profile with new .ost file to remove any corruption.

·         determine if the user has too many .pst files open or if any of them are too large and located on N:, it affects Outlook performance greatly.

·         Ensure that the user is only running one instance of Outlook in task manager.

·         Ensure the user logs off and on regularly.

·         Ensure the user is getting a good network connection.  Ping the Exchange Server and record the results.

·         check eventviewer for errors and resolve them.

·         Run repair on MS Office or reinstall the program.

The caveat is, it's not an instant fix you can blame on a dll or server or the application and most desktop technicians either don't have the time or they don't have the motivation to perform such time intensive solutions.  But, there is a payoff after the initial investment.  Typically everything not just outlook will run properly.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:10 PM
  • That depends if you have word set as your standard email editor or not.
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:16 PM
  • @XchangeDude...with a handle like that, you can not be more full of it (the brown stinky stuff is what Im refereing to, just so we're clear). 

Honestly I've been racking my brian on this for a year having weekly confrenece calls with Microsoft's top prgramers, having a web ex session with them and having them completley baffled and speachless when they see the problem, and now and you come in here with your holier than thou approach preaching PC health is the problem and do a disk defrag??!  Are you kidding me??  This is what you took time to post?  This has happened on a brand new frickin machine freshly OS'ed for petes sake you tool! Try reading the whole thread before you cast a completely useless and uninformative post....Seriously....

Now for the rest of us who actually have a clue, Im sorry to inform I have some bad news.  Microsoft has taken the apporach that outlook 2003 is far to old to support and can no longer offer me assistance to this problem.  The solution they have come up with, was some dll to install in outlook that enables a different kind of live verbose loggin to try and capture there error when it happens...which is a catch 22 since this is completley random at best, as well as my most of my environment is oulook is 2003.

So what needs to have happen is somoen needs to open up a support ticket with microsoft and go through these same motions.  I can give you the names of the people I spoke with and even ticket numbers you can reference too.  But someone who repeatedly see this with outlook 2007 needs to get in here to help.  Only problem is the ticket will cost money to open, unless you have a supplier that can give you a freebie voucher or something.  I've approached management to try and upraded to office 2010 since this product is quite old but rolling out 1500 copies will be a bit of a chore as we are a bit understaffed.

Sorry people I couldnt be more help!

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 8:51 PM
  • I had the same problem with putlook 2007 an found a very simple solutions aswell

To do this i just went to tools, options, click the second tab called mail set up, unticked the automatic send receive when connected option. Then came out to the outlook front page and the clicked the send receive tab and was given the option to cancel all the send/receive processes. Once te send process was cancelled I could simply go to the outbox folder and delete the item i wanted to.

• Proposed as answer by Phelper Thursday, August 26, 2010 10:44 AM
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 10:44 AM
  • I found an easy fix for the EMAIL STUCK IN THE OUTBOX problem

1. Drag it into the DRAFT folder.

2. Open the email.

3.  Do a Spell Check.

3.  Click the SEND button.

4.  It should go out immediately - depending on your setting (or click the Send/Receive button).

Works every time.

Friday, September 03, 2010 3:43 PM
  • It seems that the profile is corrupt. All you have to do is create a new profile. Don't forget to rename the NK2 file to keep all your autocomplete entries. This worked for me.

• Proposed as answer by Hughes IT Tuesday, September 14, 2010 1:01 AM
    Monday, September 13, 2010 1:38 PM
  • I found this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948984/ but when I tried to install the hotfix I got an error that the expected version was not found. Let me know if anyone else can install this.
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 1:04 AM
  • Hi Friends,

I also have this same issue, since 2 weeks, I am using a hosted exchange mail service from Rackspace, since few days many of the people cannot send emails mails got stuck in outbox & outlook says all folders are updated but mails are kept in outbox for ever, it goes after closing and starting of outlook,  last week i could find that we have huge outbound traffic in wan port. I stopped my SMTP service from yesterday night and restared the server. after that the outbound traffic has reduced and emails are going normally and outbox is clearing immediately. but I know in an exchange organization it may not practical, so please check your internal and external network traffic. specially on Wan port. I believe that if you found an additional traffic over there findout that which protocol is generating traffic. if you have many servers check SMTP first  and stop that services except Exchange server it may workout......

BYJU 

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 9:38 AM
  • My problem:

Outlook 2007 suddenly started saving sent emails in the Outbox not the Sent Items, but people did receive the emails.

My solution:

1. Shutdown Outlook

2. Navigate to your outlook.ost file e.g. Users > Name >AppData > Local > Microsoft > Outlook (since I'm using windows7) and then simply delete the outlook.ost... if you are a bit nervous about doing that you can simply change its extension from ost to bak.

3. Restart Outlook and this will automatically make another ost file (apparently the ost file is just a local cache of your email on the server)... it will take a few minutes to redownload recent emails from the server but then you should be good to go.

4. Happy emailing! (this problem killed me for a couple of hours this morning).

• Proposed as answer by AussieRob Thursday, October 28, 2010 12:45 AM
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 12:45 AM
  • Why, I have no idea, but this worked for me.

BTW, I have a Mac and it's just a different set of issues. It may be nice to have something that works the way they say it will, but it works only the way they want you to work - Though MS is getting there too.

SW

Monday, November 08, 2010 4:07 PM
  • We are having the same issue at my company. We have all the same symptoms in the same environment(Exchange 2007, Outlook 2007, MAPI) However, I have a few others - the error 0x80070057 appears, and this only occurs to external addresses(contacts outside the domain).

We need to come to a solution for this issue as the problem is persistant over and over again. There are numerous quick fixes - forwarding the message, move the messages to a temp folder, closing outlook and moving them back and hitting send.Recreating the profile. Nonetheless, the issue is persisting with the same users over and over. The majority of the users having this problem are thin-client citrix users, however this could just be a matter of probability because these users send 80% of all our external items in the company. Testing any of these solutions above(those that apply) is very tedious, because resolving the problem could just be another quick fix - and not a full solution.

Here is a snippet from an the outlook log(setup in logging mode):

• 2010.11.30 09:47:47 removedname@somedomain.com: Synch operation started (flags = 00000001)
    • 2010.11.30 09:47:47 removedname@somedomain.com: UploadItems: 1 messages to send
    • 2010.11.30 09:47:47 EXECUTING Put MAPI TASK
    • 2010.11.30 09:47:48 Starting the Spooling Cycle
    • 2010.11.30 09:47:48 MAPI Status: (IN -- ---/OUT fl ---)
    • 2010.11.30 09:47:48 MAPI XP Call: FlushQueues, hr = 0x00000000, ulFlushFlags = 0x0000001a
    • 2010.11.30 09:47:48 Sending one message
    • 2010.11.30 09:47:48 Progress: Sending message 'Route returned to th queue' (size 7.31 KBytes)
    • 2010.11.30 09:47:48 MAPI Status: (IN -- ---/OUT fl act) 2010.11.30 09:47:48 MAPI Status: (IN -- ---/OUT fl ---)
    • 2010.11.30 09:47:48 MAPI XP Call: SubmitMessage, hr = 0x80070057
    • 2010.11.30 09:47:48 FINISHED MAPI TASK
    • 2010.11.30 09:47:48 removedname@somedomain.com: ReportStatus: RSF_COMPLETED, hr = 0x80070057
    • 2010.11.30 09:47:48 removedname@somedomain.com: Synch operation completed
    • 2010.11.30 09:47:48 Sending done, Error code = 0x80070057
    • 2010.11.30 09:47:48 MAPI Status: (IN -- ---/OUT -- ---)
    • 2010.11.30 09:47:48 Finishing the Spooling Cycle, Error code = 0x80070057

'removedname@somedomain.com' is there because I removed the original email address. Any Ideas!?

• Proposed as answer by LPSMessaging Friday, December 03, 2010 7:33 PM
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 9:11 PM
  • Re e-mails stuck in outbox Outlook 2007 that date as None instead of Today;
    Happens periodically and appears related to the text characters in the message.
    Copy and paste same text to a new message did not work, but minor text edit, copy paste special, text only with no other changes or addresses and the message goes.  Annoying- Yes. Burdensome - No.
    • Proposed as answer by CF2nz Friday, December 10, 2010 10:30 PM
    Sunday, December 05, 2010 4:36 PM
  • Root Cause I Found For my Environment and Permanent Workaround Solution (Deleting From Sent Items Immediately - Email Archiving)

Sorry if I missed someone else who covered this, it’s a long thread and I went through most of it..

I recently upgraded to Exchange 2010 from 2003, and started running into the problem described with users Outlook 2007 Outboxes filling up if they were running in cached mode.  All emails here were sending, we just had the problem with them invisibly filling the Outboxes.  After some investigation the past couple days, I found emails would only be trapped in the Outbox if the email was deleted from Sent Items immediately.  Maybe due to some missed sync with Exchange or something, IDK..  What I do know is if I let the email sit in Sent Items in Outlook while continually getting mailboxfolderstats on the Exchange server, (Get-MailboxFolderStatistics username | ft Name, @{expression={$_.FolderSize.ToMB()} ;label="Size in MB" } -Auto) I could watch it under mbxfolderstats sit in outbox for a few seconds, then clear to sent items.., If I delete the email from Sent Items immediately after it shows up however, and watched mailboxfolderstats on the Exchange server, the item would never clear the Outbox.

Since few people manage sent items this way, the reason this was widespread in our office was because we use a product called Newforma to file emails in an archive.  If a user in cached mode sends an email, they can chose to file it upon sending using the Newforma Add-in, and if they do file it they have a choice of how Outlook handles this message, and one option is to delete it from Sent Items immediately.  So as users archived their email here, if they auto-deleted from Sent Items the add-in would delete the email from Sent Items so fast it would fill their Outboxes.

So for now we let users know not to have Outlook and Newforma add-in auto-delete upon sending.  

Friday, December 10, 2010 11:26 PM
  • I've experienced unusual behavior with Outlook when it's in cache mode.
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 9:52 PM
  • @ CF2nz,

I too have been seeing this issue and had a tough time finding out why; I tested your theory or moving/deleting the it just after sending the item and found it did get stuck in the Outbox (server side). The larger the attachment the longer the window of opportunity of failure.

This is easliy reproduced.

Great Find! now someone needs to fix it.

Friday, March 25, 2011 5:50 PM
  • This could well be down to a resources issue on the Exchange Server, check for disk space on the drive where the log files are stored.

Alan Hardisty has a blog post here on how to resolve this issue quickly whilst you investigate: http://alanhardisty.wordpress.com/2010/12/20/exchange-2007-2010-backpressure-%e2%80%93-quick-fix/

demazter

http://demazter.wordpress.com
    http://www.demazter.co.uk