Exchange 2010 UM (Mailbox size) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Where Exchange Voice Mails are stored? User Mailbox? How can I estimate this size?

I think that Exchange Mailbox+Role+Calculator does not "keep in mind" Exchange UM

Thanks

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 7:12 AM

Answers

• Hi
       1. Exchange voice mail is special kind of email. It is stored in user mailbox where your email is stored.
       2. You can manage the size of it by storage quotas and Maximum recording duration.

The Maximum recording duration (minutes) setting controls the maximum length for the recorded messages from callers. This setting can range from 5 through 100 minutes, but the default setting is 20 minutes. You can change this setting using the Exchange Management Console or using the Set-UMDialPlan cmdlet in the Exchange Management Shell.
         You can read Understanding Storage Quotas and Voice Mail and know how to set them.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Terence Yu Thursday, May 12, 2011 3:41 AM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 2:03 AM

All replies

• Hiya,

Voice mails are stored in the user's Inbox by default and can be moved around the mailbox like other messages. The voice mail is a message with an attachment along with some extra message properties so it has the "play on phone" options on supported clients.

As an estimate, using MP3 format a 1 minute message takes approximately 120KB in my environment, with most messages ranging from around 20 seconds to 1 minute.

Steve

Steve Goodman
    Check out my Blog for more Exchange info or find me on Twitter

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 10:20 AM
  • Hi
       1. Exchange voice mail is special kind of email. It is stored in user mailbox where your email is stored.
       2. You can manage the size of it by storage quotas and Maximum recording duration.

The Maximum recording duration (minutes) setting controls the maximum length for the recorded messages from callers. This setting can range from 5 through 100 minutes, but the default setting is 20 minutes. You can change this setting using the Exchange Management Console or using the Set-UMDialPlan cmdlet in the Exchange Management Shell.
         You can read Understanding Storage Quotas and Voice Mail and know how to set them.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Terence Yu Thursday, May 12, 2011 3:41 AM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 2:03 AM