none
Project 2010 - Custom Text Field causing corruption RRS feed

• Question

• Would be good to find out if anyone else has experienced this (not Server edition):

We've been having issues with re-opening saved versions of MSP files,we're getting an error message - the file starts to open and then immediately closes, sometimes with an error message, ("There was a probelm sending the command to the program") sometimes without. On further review it seems to be linked to a custom text field.

I have customised a text field with lookup options. I thought this meant that these were the only options for that field. However other users have been able to type in values other than the drop down options. When the plan is then saved and the user trys to reopen it the plan gets corrupted and can't be opened or becomes virtually unreadable.

I subsequently looked at trying to limit the options to the drop-down but don't seem to be able to do this.

Can anyone give me some idea what the problem might be please?

Thanks

Friday, December 12, 2014 5:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In order to prevent users from entering their own values in a custom field with a lookup table, you have to edit the custom field, click on lookup table and unselect the following option:

Then about the corruption, are you at least able to sometimes open the files? The corruption might be due to several reasons (copy-paste, duplicated resources, links, blank rows, special characters), but if you're not able to open the project plan, you cannot figure it out neither try to repair it. The XML export method might also help if you can open the plan.

If you search in your favorite search engine "ms project repair tool", you'll find a few 3rd-party tools which might help recovering your plan.

Another suggestion would be to delete the registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\MSProject.Project.9\shell\Open\ddeexec

Finally if you're willing to send it to me, please email it to guillaumeDOTrouyreATgcosiDOTcom (replace caps).

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Friday, December 12, 2014 6:15 PM